Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

New member.

Looking to purchase the SDA INT. Wife factor figures in with the wireless sub. Anything without wires........ :-)

Since I would imagine from reading the online instructions, that all devices are run through the TV (Sammy 46A860). Will be using Tivo HD and BR player to be purchased when new models arrive April-June). Am also going to be using iPod to rid myself of receiver and 200 CD changer (load all 200 on iPod).

How would I took the iPod up? Would it be by purchasing a dock and running through the TV? Or some other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

You could use the RCA audio inputs for an iPod dock. The TV would have to be on and consuming power.

Or you could get a SurroundBar 42/PSW10 from Polk Direct (http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Polk-Aud...__W0QQ_armrsZ1) for about $400 including shipping. Keep the receiver and study up on wire management here: http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Polk-Aud...__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Regards,
    Jim

Well...........wire management is something I have to do in the family room.....:-)

But, this is in a living room where the stereo is in one corner (wife is replacing the wall unit), so everything inside must go. And TV/entertainment center is in center of wall where no wires can be seen (hence the entertainment center/TV on top and everything else hidden out of sight).

Would I need or can I use a iPod dock and connect to the TV, since it looks like I cannot connect directly to the SDA IHT?

Or I could use an input selector box found at most Radio Shacks, this is a device that has multiple inputs and a single output. The audio from the iPod one be connected to one set of inputs on the selector box. The television outputs would be connected to another set on inputs. Then the output, of the selector box, would be connected to the inputs of the Polk SDA. By pushing the input buttons you can select which source comes through the Polk.

What's the best solution?

Again, thanks.

Input selector box = receiver.

Your TV will have unused RCA audio inputs that you could use for an iPod dock. You will still have wires running from your Tivo, BluRay disk player and iPod dock to the TV, audio out wires from the TV to the SB IHT, and power cords to all the devices.

Here's the catch. Wife does not mind the few wires running from the TV behind the center and through the cut outs in the back of the console, but does not want to see any wires on the floor.

I think I have made the right choice.

Jim you have helped greatly. Just really don't know how to connect the iPod to run without turning on the TV and really don't want to go for the bucks for a separate iPod dock with speakers.

Im new, and I have no idea about home audio equipment. I'm thinking about buying a soundbar for my apartments bedroom. I dont want to have wires running around everywhere and I move apartments every year since I am in college and go home for the summer, so I figure a soundbar is the best choice. I'm a best buy employee so I do get a good discount on the soundbars, and as of now I'm looking at the surroundbar 360. What is everybody's take on this?
    Ive read that the bass isnt that great coming from it, so I could also get an external subwoofer as well.
    It's my understanding that I wont need anything else to run this soundbar.
    I will only be hooking my ps3 and my tv up to it, and I'll just run I guess an optical cable from my tv to the soundbar, and then the hdmi to my tv to get the sound from my ps3, right?

Sorry about all the questions, I really don't know much about this.

Thanks,
    Charles

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by numbnuts22715 View Post
    Im new, and I have no idea about home audio equipment. I'm thinking about buying a soundbar for my apartments bedroom. I dont want to have wires running around everywhere and I move apartments every year since I am in college and go home for the summer, so I figure a soundbar is the best choice. I'm a best buy employee so I do get a good discount on the soundbars, and as of now I'm looking at the surroundbar 360. What is everybody's take on this?
    Ive read that the bass isnt that great coming from it, so I could also get an external subwoofer as well.
    I will only be hooking my ps3 and my tv up to it, and I'll just run I guess an optical cable from my tv to the soundbar, and then the hdmi to my tv to get the sound from my ps3, right?

Thanks,
    Charles

welcome to the club!... for your present needs, I would say go for it!:)

Thanks,
    Charles
    If you are to buy an extra sub over that, you would be better in getting either the 42" or 50" with the addition of a sub and small receiver in order to get MUCH better quality for your money! Just keep in mind buying combo systems far from gives you the best results while costing the big $$$. Also realize that when loosing part of the system, the system is actually down until you get it fixed while with separate you only loose part of the system and there are chances you can still use the system in the mean time.

Cheers :)

VP of Marketing

Default Reviews needed

This is a great and informative thread, offering great insight to those in the forum. I commend all the contributors.

We could use you help on the product pages. We're short on reviews for the SurroundBar 50, 360 and the new IHT. If you have an experience with any of these, we'd love to have to you contribute a short (or long) review.

Thanks,
    Al

VP of Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1421 View Post

...Here is a good place to say how confusing the SurroundBar pages have become...

We hear you Jim and are working on it.

Thumbs up Polk, sells good product! Gives us the opportunity to learn what their potential is!

Quote Originally Posted by kab View Post
    We hear you Jim and are working on it.
    It is also great to see Polk's involvement and concerns over their product and while value the clients's opinion.

Personnaly, I chose the 42" trying to save a few dollars (while a good sale/deal was available) but while the 42" gives a very good result I wish I knew as much as I presently know as I would have definitely opted for the 50"!

I may be wrong but the 360 and the instant don't appeal to me as I feel I would have to compromise over the end result of a good stand alone receiver and the choice of a subwoofer of my choice and budget. Even driver wise, the 360 and the instant don't seem to come any close to the 42" and 50" that uses slightly better drivers (same drivers for both if I am not wrong?.

I personally see the 360 and instant closer to an HTIB which is normally quite affordable for budget concerned people but I feel the compromise is way too considerable and for which I decided to stay away from. I see the 42" and 50" as a great center compromise as you still get the quality of speakers but combined with a good receiver while having the opportunity to add a good Polk subwoofer of your choice which can still match the wallet of budget concerned people!

I must add that being technically inclined, the white paper on the SAD technology and surroundbar it self is very convincing and thus help greatly for sale! Mind you, it is explain in plain language that even a non technical could easily understand the processing. However, I think most technical people would see the white paper with great interest and curiosity. It always was much easier to read or listen to people that have knowledge and credibility over what they are talking about (not counting the passion). When the opposite arise, I tend to move away from them and more important the product also. This site is also full of knowledgeable people that when reading them I sometimes feel like a kid that doesn't know anything :o and is eager to learn. Thanks to Polk for the Forum experience over the fine products

Last edited by TECHNOKID; 03-11-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: What a great learning experience this thread is! Thanks to the OP!!!

VP of Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    I may be wrong but the 360 and the instant don't appeal to me as I feel I would have to compromise over the end result of a good stand alone receiver and the choice of a subwoofer of my choice and budget...
    There's no argument that a well chosen and properly set-up 5 speaker and sub audio system would perform as well or better. And we would way rather sell 5, 7 or 9 speakers. But, a big but, the vast majority who own home theater audio do not have complementary components and do not have the system set-up properly. What's worse is that set-up is so amazingly hard, especially with the newer gear, that the owner has no idea if the system performing up to its potential. Chances are is that it's not. The SurroundBars eliminate or at least minimize the set-up issues

Most here on the forum are technically saavy (or have nothing else to do :) ) and can screw with their gear until it's right.

The SB 42 and 50 have appeal to those like you who have the gear and the know-how but have a situation where 5 speakers are not wanted, not appropriate or not possible.

The SB 42 and 50 have appeal to those like you who have the gear and the know-how but have a situation where 5 speakers are not wanted, not appropriate or not possible.
    Actually, I do have the room for the 5 speakers and even wanted them and bought them (RM20 5 pack and 6 RM30) bought the surroundbar technology was and still is intriging and appealing. I am having a ball toying with all of those speakers and I do specially cherish the Polk bar as I find the SDA very clever technology. My point was solely aimed at the 360 which is an HTIB style. I am especially very reluctant to combo package. I feel that even non tech-savy could do better and with the internet, the help is so readily available. Polk is also there for its buyers, this specific thread and the various testimonials about Polk's valuable CS proves it!

The only reason I asked about the surroundbar 360 is because I can get it for a fraction of the cost of anything else about as good(~400 bucks). I'm in college and dont make enough money to spend more than ~500 or so dollars.

The only reason I asked about the surroundbar 360 is because I can get it for a fraction of the cost of anything else about as good(~400 bucks). I'm in college and dont make enough money to spend more than ~500 or so dollars.
    I guess BB's return policy must apply to their emplyees also. If this is the case, I would suggest you buy and set it up in your environment for a good demo. If you are happy with the end result, you keep it otherewise you simply return your purchase.

I have the 50" hooked up to my Denon and I love it. My 7 year old Velodyne CHT10 is still strong, but it wears out on heavy scenes at reference level and shuts down (flip the switch to restart). When everything is going, its a great sound. Loud, clear. Although when the sub drops its very noticable. What I noticed is that the SB360 had better bass than the 50". Very strange as the drivers are smaller...mabey its the internal amp of the SB360 that has been tweaked.

I need a powerful 12" subwoofer and I will be in business.

I also added (2) R15's (I had them in the closet..I will be getting the matched rears soon) and hooked them up to a rocket fish wireless adapter for a 7.1.

Awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by svtjoe View Post
    I have the 50" hooked up to my Denon and I love it. My 7 year old Velodyne CHT10 is still strong, but it wears out on heavy scenes at reference level and shuts down (flip the switch to restart). When everything is going, its a great sound. Loud, clear. Although when the sub drops its very noticable. What I noticed is that the SB360 had better bass than the 50". Very strange as the drivers are smaller...mabey its the internal amp of the SB360 that has been tweaked.

I need a powerful 12" subwoofer and I will be in business.

I also added (2) R15's (I had them in the closet..I will be getting the matched rears soon) and hooked them up to a rocket fish wireless adapter for a 7.1.

Awesome!
    You are very fortunate that could have a listen to both of them. It is fair that the 360 has some bass as it was designed for this and the 50' wasn't. I too find it weird that with smaller driver it reaches the lower better. I guess it is the Polk's magic ;) Have you ever had a chance to compare (listen) the 42 and 50? I wonder if the extra 2 drivers make that much difference?

Your subwoofer, you might want to open it and do a little maintenance on it. Simply use an air compressor or vacum cleaner if the air compressor isn't available. Amplifier heat will attract dust and if sufficient dust packs in there, the natural way of ventilating is not efficient anymore. Also make sure it isn't in any enclosed area which will help for the breathing. If you have a NON NOISY fan, this might give a second breath to your subwoofer if you still like its sound quality.

I ordered the surroundbar360 today. I will let you know all how I like it when it gets here in about a week or so. hopefully it comes faster, but they have to verify that i am actually an employee of best buy.

I ordered the surroundbar360 today. I will let you know all how I like it when it gets here in about a week or so. hopefully it comes faster, but they have to verify that i am actually an employee of best buy.
    Congratulation... Please, let us know particularly what you think of the Low end efficiency without any subwoofer.

Another new member here. As part of my "deal" with my wife in buying a house that she "loves", I was afforded the ability to finally get a new 52" widescreen lcd tv. The main reason of course is that the distance from myself to the wall where the TV will be placed is 19 feet away. Yeah, I know this is stretching it even for a 52" tv, but this is what I have to work with. Since she really wasn't prepared for me to spend what was needed on a 52" tv, I am stuck with trying to find some kind of audio solution for the bedroom that will work in a 20' deep (from me to tv) by 12' wide by 10' tall bedroom.

I've been using Polk equipment for a good many years now. I am not an audiophile, but I do want good sounding speakers for movies and video games, which are primarily conducted away from the living room surround setup that the kids almost always occupy.

So, while a wired system might be possible in the long term (i.e. in the wall speakers and whatnot), I need some kind of solution for the next year or two while I re-earn the right to spend a few more thousand on a new wired surround system. (and the wiring in the walls to go with it) One of the ideas I had was the Polk SurroundBar SDA IHT w/ Wireless sub, as it would allow me to not have to run wires 20' across the room, (and buy the $3000 rug to cover it up) but I wasn't sure how well A) the SurroundBar would fill my 2400 cubic ft. bedroom and B) the SurroundBar's SDA would work in a 20' deep room.

So, anyone have experience in this area? I'd like to keep my loyalty with Polk, as they've served me well in the past, but I really don't know what I'm getting myself into trying to do something like this in a bedroom this deep.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Is the bed on the far end of that 20' bedroom?

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Is the bed on the far end of that 20' bedroom?
    I personnally think that for the purpose and the environment you have, a Polk SurroundBar would be suitable however, I would go for the 50" and as you pointed out the a powerfull wireless subwoofer (or if you have the room up front for the sub, a wired one should also do the trick). You have to make sure your set-up is centered with your bed just like an HT for proper listening position. I guess that is what was met by the bed on the far end???

The bed is on the far end of the 20' length, yes.

Code:
     +--------20'---------+
     |                    |
     |  +--+              |
    12'|BED|            TV|
     |  +--+              |
     |                    |
     +--------20'---------+
    I think you get the picture. :) Obviously the bed is not exactly to scale.
    Last edited by Torin; 03-23-2009 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Torin View Post
    The bed is on the far end of the 20' length, yes.

Code:
     +--------20'---------+
     |                    |
     |  +--+              |
    12'|BED|            TV|
     |  +--+              |
     |                    |
     +--------20'---------+
    I think you get the picture. :) Obviously the bed is not exactly to scale.
    Where is the door located? Anyway, the main goal (which seem to be accomplished) is to have your bed (sitting posisiton) centerered with your visual and audio gear. The bar doesn't need to help of the walls to do its job but proper sitting position is of utmost importance for optimum effect!

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by TECHNOKID View Post
    Where is the door located? Anyway, the main goal (which seem to be accomplished) is to have your bed (sitting posisiton) centerered with your visual and audio gear. The bar doesn't need to help of the walls to do its job but proper sitting position is of utmost importance for optimum effect!

Cheers!
    The door would be along the bottom edge near the lower right hand corner.

Edit: And yes, the bed will be directly lined up with the TV and audio gear. I just didnt know if it not being a square room (more long and narrow than anything) would affect the effect of the SDA, in that the surround effect would be less pronounced.
    Last edited by Torin; 03-23-2009 at 06:35 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

The IHT is too small for that room, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    The IHT is too small for that room, IMO.
    For that matter, is any single speaker system going to be big enough? Or do I just have to push for something like 2 T90es and eventually turn that into a full surround system?

Hello Torin,
    Thanks for considering our SurroundBar systems as part of your new home. I checked with the SB project manager for his input and he felt that you were in a good position to take advantage of the SDA technology. The size of the room would prevent any problems with side wall reflections and the SDA technology works well whether the listener is near or far away. He suggested the SB50 with a good sub-woofer would be a good choice for fairly high playing volumes. For more moderate playing volumes and eliminating the need for additional components the SB360 would be a good choice. In all likelihood, the SB IHT would not be able to work well in that size room unless the playing volumes were pretty moderate.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth Swauger View Post
    Hello Torin,
    Thanks for considering our SurroundBar systems as part of your new home. I checked with the SB project manager for his input and he felt that you were in a good position to take advantage of the SDA technology. The size of the room would prevent any problems with side wall reflections and the SDA technology works well whether the listener is near or far away. He suggested the SB50 with a good sub-woofer would be a good choice for fairly high playing volumes. For more moderate playing volumes and eliminating the need for additional components the SB360 would be a good choice. In all likelihood, the SB IHT would not be able to work well in that size room unless the playing volumes were pretty moderate.
    I hope this is helpful information.
    Regards, Ken
    http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/s...dbar/specs.php

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Torin, For what it's worth, your bedroom size is the same as my living (listening) room. I have my couch on the longer wall with my plasma directly across so I've got a shorter viewing/listening distance than you would have. I'm using the Surroundbar 50" with SVS SB12 Plus subwoofer. I must say the sound is quite satisfying. I'm very pleased. The SB 50" certainly needs the sub though.

Thread Information