Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Sub = Y
    Front, Center, Surround : Full Band
    LFE: play with the setting, see what blends the best with the Surround Bar - 80-90Hz would probably be a good starting point.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

you'll want the most bass out of your subwoofer while using the SurroundBar, that's why i recommend using your fronts set to small. I just demoed the SurroundBar in my house three weeks ago... i know what sounded best.

the SurroundBar has seven 3 1/2" midrange driver and three 3/4" tweeters.. trust me. there is no bass coming out of that SurroundBar. that's why you'd want to run your fronts on small.

but I'd say, a person really should try both and see which sounds better for them.

for those that don't have a small or large setting in their AVR's.

large would be 40 to 90Hz and small would be 140-200Hz as crossover settings.

So what would 91 to 139 be?

Al, the Sbar has it's own filtering built in..... How else, or many other times can we say it?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The representative from Polk recommended setting my speakers to small, 120 crossover, and subwoofer 'On'. Why should I question this?

Quote Originally Posted by NCNog View Post
    The representative from Polk recommended setting my speakers to small, 120 crossover, and subwoofer 'On'. Why should I question this?
    you shouldn't question it... it's what i've been saying all along.. but no one listens to me.. ;) :p

Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN View Post
    So what would 91 to 139 be?

Al, the Sbar has it's own filtering built in..... How else, or many other times can we say it?
    Lets see.... you can say it in Swahili or pig latin.

numbers 91 to 139 are only to be used if you have Bose speakers. :p :p

Russ, you big knucklehead, how could you ever question my authority? ;) :p

OK newbie here.

My HT room has the primary viewing sofa jammed into the corner (not my choice!). As a result, there is no place to put the rear surrounds. So I am heavily considering this baby. Question though...I have about 3+ feet behind the sofa to the corner. Can I put a single speaker back there to make a 6.1 (My Denon 1804 will support that)? Will it help with the imaging? Its a Mirage AVS200 (?)...is there a better speaker (less directional??) that would work better?

Thanks!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Ross - I believe you're from Audioholics :) I'll answer here for this question but finish up over there on your earlier query if that's ok.

Yes, a single speaker would be fine but I would suggest an omni-directional speaker from Mirage(Omnisat for example, since you mentioned the brand) or even better would be a single bipole/dipole speaker from the current Polk Audio lineup(FXi30/FXi3). The problem with either choice is that you will most likely have to buy a pair.

I would try an "fill" that 3ft+ area with sound as opposed to localize it with a traditional loudspeaker. However, you can do all kinds of "odd" things with a single traditional speaker like position it on the floor firing up, ceiling firing down, etc so in the end I would suggest you play around with what you own now, and try a couple things, then break out the wallet :D

Does that help you?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Ross - I believe you're from Audioholics :)
    Roscoe :D

Quote Originally Posted by mazersteven View Post
    Roscoe :D
    Yup:)

Welcome to our humble audio abode Roscoe!

See you 'out there'.

Cheers,
    Russ

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Ross - I believe you're from Audioholics :) I'll answer here for this question but finish up over there on your earlier query if that's ok.
    up that's me...and that's fine.

Yes, a single speaker would be fine but I would suggest an omni-directional speaker from Mirage(Omnisat for example, since you mentioned the brand) or even better would be a single bipole/dipole speaker from the current Polk Audio lineup(FXi30/FXi3). The problem with either choice is that you will most likely have to buy a pair.
    You mean because in pairs is the only way they are sold? If I bought such a speaker, where would I put it? Ceiling? Floor? Ear level?

I would try an "fill" that 3ft+ area with sound as opposed to localize it with a traditional loudspeaker. However, you can do all kinds of "odd" things with a single traditional speaker like position it on the floor firing up, ceiling firing down, etc so in the end I would suggest you play around with what you own now, and try a couple things, then break out the wallet
    I would of course rather use what I have, guess I'll just have to play around.

Does that help you?
    Yup...thanks!:)

Ross,

Pairs? Yes.

Placement? That's my point. Play around with the Mirage in regards to the 6.1 setup, run it HOT(+db) and see if you notice it on media you're familiar with.

Default Hmmm

Check out the Home Theater Magazine review and measurements .

They are very cool.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

13 more
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I had a chance to try out the new SurroundBar50 this weekend. Wow! I wasn't expecting such a difference, but to me it seems way, way better than the regular version. I wouldn't have thought two extra woofers and a couple ports would create so much change, but after seeing the diagram on the products page, it makes sense. The two added woofers are used as SDA drivers for the front left and right speakers, so they are creating a larger front stage, as well as adding more speaker surface area for higher volume capability and deeper bass.

For equipment, I was using a Yamaha RXV1700 receiver connected by HDMI to a Toshiba HDA2 HD DVD player, and a Polk Audio PSW404 subwoofer. The first movie I tried was the Bourne Identity on HD DVD. There were two scenes I tried with this disc: the police in pursuit of Bourne and Marie in the mini and when Bourne goes after the assassin at Marie's brother's house with a shotgun. The car chase is great! It starts out with Bourne backing the mini into the street in front of a bus, which has to break and honks out of the surround speakers. The chase continues with various tires skidding, cars crashing, and even a glass phone booth door shattering, all accompanied by Moby's song Ready Steady Go. Particularly cool surround effects with the car spinning through the back soundstage. At the farmhouse, the action starts out with bang...literally! Bourne fires the shotgun to blow up a propane tank. Unsuspecting customers in the store were taking cover after this powerful, dynamic explosion. Bourne then runs through the trees to a clearing, where he fires the shotgun in the air. The shotgun blast is quite loud and very realistic, startling birds from the field and echoing for several seconds. The birds circle the field, and you can clearly hear them behind you. Bourne shoots the assassin twice to dispatch him, with painful efficiency that may cause you to check yourself for wounds. Great demo material! I also got to briefly run through a couple of scenes from Transformers, and let's just say, yeah, it's everything you'd expect! Wow! All-in-all, a very impressive new product from Polk!

Fireshoes - Great comments, thanks for posting them! The SB50 SDA works very well.

I believe a couple folks haven't posted their reviews of the OG Surround Bar....is that gonna happen sometime ;)

Member Sales Rating: (1)

OK, this may be a dumb question, but I have to ask.

Several of you have mentioned how you adjust levels for your "rear" channels on the surroundbar. The surroundbar has cable marked for center, front right and left, surround right and left. There are no cables marked for surround back right or back left. I have the cable connected to my receiver as marked. I have no speaker cable connection to surround back right or left channels.

I presume this is the way everyone is doing it? No one is connecting the surround right and left cable to the surround back (rear?) channels are they? I think you all mean the surround channels when you mention "rear".

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Daes,

Yes, some folks like the surrounds in the back, some on the sides for a 5.1 system. So you can hook the "surround" wires coming from the bar to either sides or backs, they are still surrounds.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Hello,

Im a newbie here,

Just Ordered the SurroundBar 50

I also ordered the FXiA6 for surrounds(make a 7.1 setup)
    And for a sub, I ordered a DSW Pro500..

My reciever is a Marantz SR7001, with a Marantz DVD player and a PS3 for BluRay.

I live in an apartment with small living room, Im hoping this setup works, any advice would be helpful to maximize my sound for the best

I orginaly ordered RTi12's for fronts and a CSi5 for center, but my wife freaked out at the size, so Im sending them back plus center in favor for this surroundbar50......hope it works out.

My main question with the surrounds(FX's) I have...I plan on mounting them on my back wall....do I use them as rears ? and set the surround rears as surround side rears ????
    Last edited by MightyHalo; 11-29-2007 at 02:26 AM.

Surround Rear.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyHalo View Post
    Hello,

Im a newbie here,

Just Ordered the SurroundBar 50

I also ordered the FXiA6 for surrounds(make a 7.1 setup)
    And for a sub, I ordered a DSW Pro500..

My reciever is a Marantz SR7001, with a Marantz DVD player and a PS3 for BluRay.

I live in an apartment with small living room, Im hoping this setup works, any advice would be helpful to maximize my sound for the best

I orginaly ordered RTi12's for fronts and a CSi5 for center, but my wife freaked out at the size, so Im sending them back plus center in favor for this surroundbar50......hope it works out.

My main question with the surrounds(FX's) I have...I plan on mounting them on my back wall....do I use them as rears ? and set the surround rears as surround side rears ????

Those FX's will not be a good match for the Surroundbar. They will overwhelm the bar. The correct surrounds for the Bar are the RM101. http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4136367
    They match the bar visually as well which will probably make your wife happy. Not familiar with that sub, but make sure it is close to the bar as it needs a pretty high crossover and you can tell where it is.

Well.........after much much thinking, I will go the more tradional route,

I called and canceled the SurroundBar50.........

This will be my setup,

Fronts: RTiA3 bookshelfs with stands
    Center: CSiA6
    Surround Rear:FXiA6
    Sub: DSW Pro 500

I figured I can go with this setup and give me much more room to grow.....like sneak in some surround side rears later...and upgrade my fronts to towers later.

I had read that for music on the surround bar, it'll give me a tinny sound. I don't want that....I do like movies/ps3 games...but also some decent music...Im hoping this will be satisfying.

I'll let you know what happens.

MightyHalo - Great choices, rock on!

Any Polkies that were able to demo the Surround Bar.....would you mind taking some time to post your thoughts on the SB in the review section? There are some of you that never posted your reviews and that would be the best spot.

Polk Audio would really appreciate a few minutes of your time. Thanks.

Surround Bar Review Page

Default Connections???

I received my SurroundBar today...I'm so excited:):):)! Can't wait to get surround sound again (Hint: Amazon.com)

Question...My receiver has red/black +/- connections, but the SurroundBar color codes the wires with no polarity distinction. Does it matter which color goes + or - in my receiver?

I'm working on this now so I may have this figureed out though by the time I get an answer. But please answer anyway...if I have issues that may help me from chasing a non-issue.

Thanks!

The color coding is a generic feature to assist customers. It's sometimes used on other gear but not everything.

Just follow the instructions for what speaker your connecting and you'll be fine on the AVR/Receiver end of things.

Let us know what you think of the SB, have fun!

So I guess polarity doesn't matter or I got incredibly lucky. becasue sound appears to be coming out of all channels

New problem, unrelated to the SB. I can't see or change any of the settings in my reciever because for reason the remote isn't working and the Denon AVR-1804 can only be setup through the remote (GRRR). It turns the system on and off (both zone one and zone 2), but nothing else works. No volume, no setup, nothing. Yes, it has fresh batteries. Note I usually use a Harmony all-in-one remote but I can't see how that would matter.

I know it was set up for small speakers and a sub woofer, so I know I have to change both of those. Grrrrr....

Thread Information