Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 210 of 574
  1. #181

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    15,835

    Default

    on your remote see if there are a setting, usually a slider switch, that may read something like user, set up, or learn. if the remote is in one of those setting, nothing on the remote will work.. till you move it to normal or user... etc.

    good luck.

  2. #182

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Changed nothing, eventually it worked. That was an hour wasted. Then I hooked up my rear speaker (receiver has a 6.1 setup), no sound...receiver wasn't broadcasting back channel. Took another hour to figure out why (wiring put in by previous owner, mismarked, receiver settings hard to find....combination made it almost impossible to fix).

    Bottom line...by itself, the SurroundBar is pretty good, the SS effect is noticeable but I think a little weak. Added the rear channel and spiked the side SS channels up 5dB and the back up 2dB and it got better. Side channels could image better, but certainly better than no SS at all. All in all I'm happy. Not ecstatic but happy.
    Last edited by rossdillon; 12-14-2007 at 02:28 AM.

  3. #183

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    I believe the SB50 to be much better at surround sound than the early SB. Night and Day.

  4. #184

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Night and day difference in $$ also unfortunately (not that it shouldn't be but kept me to the older one)

  5. #185

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Ross - I completely understand, just making an observation. I installed a original SB for a friend recently and they couldn't be happier.

  6. #186

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I recently bought the original size soundbar, Initially it played way better than the T.V. speakers [52"Sharp LCD]but I always felt something was lacking. It was set up as per the instructions. I never expected this speaker to have the real surround sound effects but I just wasn`t that impressed. Today I used a Radio Shack sound meter to adjust the sound as follows FL,C,FR@0,SR&SL@+4.
    Now it sounds 100% better.I will be adding an SVS PB Plus/2 sub woofer in the next few days and I suspect the total sound from both the sub and surroundbar will be as good as most HT systems and better than any HTIB. Next I will add two Polk in-ceiling speakers for rear surround.
    The room is 20x20 with 11 foot ceilings open to two other rooms and the surroundbar fills the space with clear sound.Music plays crisp and clear too.
    I am glad I bought this product.It sits on the fireplace mantle at forehead level and is very pleasing to look at.This was a much better choice than installing three speakers 11 feet above your head. I am totally satisfied with this product.

    One thought on the 50" surroundbar,it is very big, if visuals are a priority realize that it is wider than than most T.V.`s that it will sit under.

  7. #187

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    I think running the rear channels @ +4db is smart. It's great to hear your story and remedy. Happy Listening!

    Mark

  8. #188

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wilkes-Barre PA
    Posts
    1

    Default Is the SurroundBar for me?

    Hey Guys,
    I've been lurking around for the past several weeks, trying to make the decision on how to slim down my current setup. Having a baby last year made me realize that my house is small, and it's time to maximize the space I have. I saw the SouroundBar on Amazon, and it really looks promising. I've looked at the reviews on here, and everyone seems very positive about it What i'm wondering though, is how the quality of sound would be compared with my current setup.

    Current Setup
    Fronts/Surrounds: R30's
    Center: CS1
    Sub: Sony (Not sure of the model)
    Receiver: Technics SA-DA10
    TV: 37" Olevia LCD 537H

    Thanks!
    Scott

  9. #189

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    I've had the bar for over a year now, and only today, I switched the ribbon cable that came with it to Blue Jeans 10 white. There is a 10ft run between the receiver and the bar.

    Holy mackerel - what a difference! I was always lukewarm on the bar - always felt the surround effects were rather muted, but tolerated it because of aesthetics. Now I can hear nearly 360 degree surround effects. Its a night and day difference.

    I have no idea why Polk packs such a thin gauge cable with the bar when good cable can really open it up.

    My setup is a Sony STR-DA2ES, PSW 404 and the bar. The surround channels are running hot (+6 DB - always ran this way).

  10. #190

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    I've had the bar for over a year now, and only today, I switched the ribbon cable that came with it to Blue Jeans 10 white. There is a 10ft run between the receiver and the bar.

    Holy mackerel - what a difference! I was always lukewarm on the bar - always felt the surround effects were rather muted, but tolerated it because of aesthetics. Now I can hear nearly 360 degree surround effects. Its a night and day difference.

    I have no idea why Polk packs such a thin gauge cable with the bar when good cable can really open it up.

    My setup is a Sony STR-DA2ES, PSW 404 and the bar. The surround channels are running hot (+6 DB - always ran this way).
    Mouse - Thanks for the review and update!

    The supplied, color coded cable is for a reason, as alot of folks prefer a simple approach to connectivity. You have to realize that not everyone asks, "What do I do next?".

    Upgrades are for down the road and not everyone feels the same way. It's the nature of the beast. There are many options available to the SB user at large.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 01-13-2008 at 01:35 AM.

  11. #191

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Mouse - Thanks for the review and update!

    The supplied, color coded cable is for a reason, as alot of folks prefer a simple approach to connectivity. You have to realize that not everyone asks, "What do I do next?".

    Upgrades are for down the road and not everyone feels the same way. It's the nature of the beast. There are many options available to the SB user at large.

    Agreed, but you are making excuses for Polk. They can easily have a 10AWG ribbon cable made with the volumes they purchase. Mind you, I'm a huge fan of the company, but this sure appears like a case of cutting corners.

    If the upgrade can make a difference, as appears to be the case in my setup, at least include a note in the manual that cable upgrades should be considered for best performance.

  12. #192

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    Agreed, but you are making excuses for Polk. They can easily have a 10AWG ribbon cable made with the volumes they purchase. Mind you, I'm a huge fan of the company, but this sure appears like a case of cutting corners.

    If the upgrade can make a difference, as appears to be the case in my setup, at least include a note in the manual that cable upgrades should be considered for best performance.
    Excuses? LOL.

    Do you have 10AWG running behind the supplied wall bracket?
    Last edited by dorokusai; 01-13-2008 at 08:24 AM.

  13. #193

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai View Post
    Excuses? LOL.

    Do you have 10AWG running behind the supplied wall bracket?

    Did exactly this. Works out really nicely. I'll take pics next weekend.

  14. #194

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default my SB-50 experience

    I opted for the SB50 for the better surround effects. It's much wider than the 37" flat panel but is exactly as wide as the recessed equipment cabinet and the black is a nice compliment to the mahogany-stained stand.

    The WAF compelled me to choose a single-surround source and the SB made more sense to me to work in our room than other choices. I was pleased but not overwhemed by its performance. Oddly enough, I seemed to hear more surround on the left than the right. Wife and daughter thought I was nuts, I thought they weren't listening hard enough. I checked the wires, receiver settings, everything and all was the way it should be. When I'd press my ear to each driver individually I didn't hear any obvious discrepancy. RS SPL confirmed all okay.

    I diagnosed the problem one morning when I woke up and couldn't hear out of my right ear. A few minutes with an old water pick solved fixed things quickly. Now I really hear the surround. I am very impressed. I caught myself looking over my shoulder a couple of times. I get a big grin on my face as I hear/feel myself being surrounded.

    I played with a 6th rear speaker 3 ft behind the couch for a few days. It made the room sound more full but didn't add to the surround effects. My wife liked the sound until she realized it meant a permanent speaker in the back of the room and that was the end of that. The PSW 505 has 10 times the benefit of improving the overall experience compared to a rear speaker. The sub kind of blends in with the furniture and my wife decorated it by placing a pretty pillow on top.


    Dan in Reno

  15. #195

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    I have a quick question. I have just started my home theatre setup and I have a Sony 46" LCD and a Sony G710 receiver. I bought a pair of Polk audio RTi10 floor speakers during the boxing week.

    I am quite happy with the setup so far, but I know I'd need to get the surround done. I am not really a perfectionist and I think I would be happy with the audio quality of the surroundbar. I am really tempted to buy it as I see a recent sale of the SurroundBar at CAN$400.

    Anyway, my simple question is, would the SurroundBar still work if I am re-using the existing pair of RTi10 speakers as the front? My plan is not to use the FL and FR speaker ports on the Surroundbar but I'm not sure if it is going to screw up the performance.

    Advice and feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Richard in Toronto

  16. #196

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    2,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by richmak View Post
    I have a quick question. I have just started my home theatre setup and I have a Sony 46" LCD and a Sony G710 receiver. I bought a pair of Polk audio RTi10 floor speakers during the boxing week.

    I am quite happy with the setup so far, but I know I'd need to get the surround done. I am not really a perfectionist and I think I would be happy with the audio quality of the surroundbar. I am really tempted to buy it as I see a recent sale of the SurroundBar at CAN$400.

    Anyway, my simple question is, would the SurroundBar still work if I am re-using the existing pair of RTi10 speakers as the front? My plan is not to use the FL and FR speaker ports on the Surroundbar but I'm not sure if it is going to screw up the performance.

    Advice and feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Richard in Toronto
    The SDA effect will be seriously messed up, and the RTi10's will overpower the bar. You would be better off just getting a CSi5 to match the 10s, or return the 10s and get the bar.

  17. #197

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Thanks. That's what I guess. Well, it's a pity to skip such a great product with good discounts.

    What rear speakers would you recommend to do the 5.1? My room is not really impossible to do the wiring. I am just lazy ...

    Thanks again.

    Richard

    Quote Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
    The SDA effect will be seriously messed up, and the RTi10's will overpower the bar. You would be better off just getting a CSi5 to match the 10s, or return the 10s and get the bar.

  18. #198

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    3,221

    Default

    FXi3's or 5's would be perfect.

  19. #199

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21

    Default

    If I purchased a SoundBar50 and installed it on the wall, in a 15' x 15' room with one side (R) of the 15' open to another room, could I, to any benefit, add cube type ceiling speakers in the rear and front?
    I prewired for the ceiling cubes but now am thinking of the SurroundBar50.
    Can you come off of the SB50 and go to the ceiling cubes? and which ones would you recommend?

  20. #200

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    I can't imagine how a 9.1 system would work. The SB focuses the sound to your seating area so you just need a sub to fill up the space. My SB50 is left of center of a 20' x 40' great room and the surround effect is quite satisfying. You could set up rear speakers for a 7.1 system. I tried 6.1 without much improvement over 5.1 but I probably didn't have great rear speaker placement.
    Last edited by DRC; 02-01-2008 at 06:57 PM.

  21. #201

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I was thinking that you could somehow use the simulated rears on the SB50 in conjunction with the actual rears in the room.. ??
    It's just that I have these 4 wires danglin from the ceiling and just hate not using them..
    I like the looks of the SB50 but I guess I could also mount an inwall center, two inwall front L & R speakers (I have room for them on the TV wall) and use the 4 ceiling speakers with some small cube hanging from the ceiling???
    Frank
    Ma System Upstairs
    Sony 60" RearP LCD XBR
    Infinity cc-1 Center
    Rti10's Frt
    Rti8's Rear
    Infinity SM85's surround
    SVS PB12-Plus/2 SubW
    Ma System Downstairs
    Nothin yet

  22. #202

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21

    Default

    I was thinking that you could somehow use the simulated rears on the SB50 in conjunction with the actual rears in the room.. ??
    It's just that I have these 4 wires danglin from the ceiling and just hate not using them..
    I like the looks of the SB50 but I guess I could also mount an inwall center, two inwall front L & R speakers (I have room for them on the TV wall) and use the 4 ceiling speakers with some small cube hanging from the ceiling???

    Sorry for double post - can't figure out how to delete it
    Last edited by zengel442; 02-01-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    Frank
    Ma System Upstairs
    Sony 60" RearP LCD XBR
    Infinity cc-1 Center
    Rti10's Frt
    Rti8's Rear
    Infinity SM85's surround
    SVS PB12-Plus/2 SubW
    Ma System Downstairs
    Nothin yet

  23. #203

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Polk recommends 2 options with 'real' surround speakers in conjunction with SB. First is to wire the SB and discrete surround speakers from the same L & R source from the receiver. Second option is to wire the SB with all 5 channels and connect the discrete surround speakers from the 6th and 7th channels on your receiver.

    What sub are you or will you be using?
    Last edited by DRC; 02-04-2008 at 12:17 AM.

  24. #204

    Member Sales Rating: (58)

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    6 Underground
    Posts
    25,306

    Default

    I concur with DRC's second suggestion for adding surround channels in 7.1. It simply sounds better.

  25. #205

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Ahhhhh.. There is a sale on the SVS PB12-Plus/2 right now for $1099. I have one and love it. Other contenders are the SVS 25-31PC-Plus, the DSW Pro500 and the CSW15S.. The SVS cylinder and the CSW15S because it would be nice to have the extra real estate in the room.
    Would the CWS15S do the job?
    Frank
    Ma System Upstairs
    Sony 60" RearP LCD XBR
    Infinity cc-1 Center
    Rti10's Frt
    Rti8's Rear
    Infinity SM85's surround
    SVS PB12-Plus/2 SubW
    Ma System Downstairs
    Nothin yet

  26. #206

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Those are sweet choices for a sub. I haven't heard any of those in a bigger room but I'm sure any would provide suffient base in your room. I went cheap with a PSW505 and it provides plenty of low frequency pressure to complement the SB50; 12' from the seating area of a 20'x40' 'great room'.

  27. #207

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default

    hello all. Just joined your group, so excuse my ignorance if i FU.

    I bought a new SB here in toronto for 460! (CDN) from Futureshop. I think there are a couple left. great deal. I just ordered the TV top bracket. Anyone out there have experience with the bracket?

  28. #208

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Welcome Don...
    I'm still searching for my SB50... Haven't made the plunge yet.. Good luck with yours..
    Frank
    Ma System Upstairs
    Sony 60" RearP LCD XBR
    Infinity cc-1 Center
    Rti10's Frt
    Rti8's Rear
    Infinity SM85's surround
    SVS PB12-Plus/2 SubW
    Ma System Downstairs
    Nothin yet

  29. #209

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11

    Default sb at futureshop

    Quote Originally Posted by zengel442 View Post
    Welcome Don...
    I'm still searching for my SB50... Haven't made the plunge yet.. Good luck with yours..

    Can't imagine it will get cheaper. SB is rather an expensive toy unless the gfaf (girl friend approval factor) > need for the best surround sound

  30. #210

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Denial...it's in Egypt.
    Posts
    12,874

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by triguy3 View Post
    hello all. Just joined your group, so excuse my ignorance if i FU.

    I bought a new SB here in toronto for 460! (CDN) from Futureshop. I think there are a couple left. great deal. I just ordered the TV top bracket. Anyone out there have experience with the bracket?
    The bracket is awesome! Very well engineered and should hold up your SurroundBar without a problem. It was easy to use with the directions and shouldn't take you long to set it up either unless you end up running the speaker wires through the wall. Then you'll have to fish it through. No worries though, dude! It's a cinch to work with!
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Review Polk Audio SurroundBar SDA Instant Home Theater
    By DarqueKnight in forum Speakers
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 01:27 AM
  2. Need Help Just got Polk Audio Surroundbar 50
    By olehandro in forum 2 Channel Audio
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 07:32 PM
  3. For Sale Polk Audio SurroundBar Titanium (Brand New in Box)
    By PTong88 in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 05:24 PM
  4. Polk Audio Surroundbar.
    By hearingimpared in forum For Sale (FS) Classifieds
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
  5. Polk SurroundBar review now up at HomeTheaterMag.com
    By aaharvel in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts