Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Intermittent volume on receiver

My almost-20 year old Onkyo stereo receiver has a dirty volume control. You sometimes have to turn it up past where you want the volume in order to get the circuit to complete, then turn it down to where you want it. And, the volume sometimes cuts out while playing, and may or may not come back on its own without doing the "turn it up" trick I just mentioned.

I know people work on (and hopefully fix) this problem themselves, but I've not done it before.

Should I try compressed air? Or do I need some sort of "stuff"... the audio component equivalent of WD40?
    HT: Denon 1910, LG blu-ray, Def Tech ProCinema 100s, Stryke 12" sonosub.
    LR: Onkyo TX-84 (original owner), Aiwa AD-F850 (original owner), Philips TT (old school, 2nd owner), Philips CD (cheap-o), Monitor 5jr+ (original owner - actually, my wife is the original owner; she bought them new when we were dating - sealed the deal).
    Xbox 360/Wii/Kids: Old school huge Sony HD TV, Sherwood RD-6500, Philips DVD, pair Def Tech ProCinema 100.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by burdette
    My almost-20 year old Onkyo stereo receiver has a dirty volume control. You sometimes have to turn it up past where you want the volume in order to get the circuit to complete, then turn it down to where you want it. And, the volume sometimes cuts out while playing, and may or may not come back on its own without doing the "turn it up" trick I just mentioned.

I know people work on (and hopefully fix) this problem themselves, but I've not done it before.

Should I try compressed air? Or do I need some sort of "stuff"... the audio component equivalent of WD40?
    You might want to try de-oxit. It cleared up a scratchy balance pot for me.
    If you have any contact cleaner, that would work as well but de-oxit works well.

Good luck

Dave
    p.s. Stay away from wd-40!!! :D
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Quote Originally Posted by burdette

You might want to try de-oxit. It cleared up a scratchy balance pot for me.
    If you have any contact cleaner, that would work but de-oxit works well.

Good luck

Dave
    p.s. Stay away from wd-40!!! :D
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Yeah, what he said. Twice.

Deox-it, or Deox-id will work fine. Radio Shack has a similar 'contact cleaner', white bottle, about $9 that works fine also. Turn the unit off, remove cover, spray all pots liberally, and work back and forth several times. Let it set for a while, blow it out with compressed air, make sure it's relatively dry - test, repeat as needed.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

remove cover, spray all pots liberally, and work back and forth several times. Let it set for a while, blow it out with compressed air, make sure it's relatively dry - test, repeat as needed.

sounds like beer drinkin to me haha

Thread Information