Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default Wes's LSi9 Review

Here is my review of Courtneyís LSi9ís he is so graciously letting me borrow for the time being. This review wonít be anywhere near as formal as Steveís review. I just hope to make a few points and give some good impressions of my thoughts on these fine speakers.

Hereís a quick run down of my equipment currently in the He-Man rig in case yíall are like me and donít pay that close of attention to everyoneís signature at the bottom. (350 per qualifies me for He-Man status, right George?) Anyway:

Source: Onkyo DV-C600
    Digital Cable: Kimber Illuminati
    DAC: Bel Canto DAC 2
    Analog Cable: AQ Diamondbacks
    Preamp: Audio Alchemy Digital Line Controller (DLC)
    Stereo RCA: AQ Diamondbacks
    Amp: Parasound HCA-2200
    Speaker Wire: AQ Granite (high) & Bedrock (mid/low)
    Subwoofer: SVS PC+ 25-39

The first thing I noticed when Steve and I fired these puppies up was the clarity and overall smoothness of the sound. One of the things I was really worried about was the potential brightness of these speakers. While I really liked the RT55iís I used to have, they could certainly be bright sometimes, and I was afraid these new Polkís would follow in that vein. I am happily disappointed. However, the LSiís are certainly more forward than my SDA-SRSís. This fact isnít necessarily bad, just different.

Last night, I swapped back to my SDAís just to put things in perspective before I really started writing the review. I know the second thing Steve and I noticed was the room-filling sound. The 9ís werenít straining to fill my living area at all. This room-filling sound comes with an asterisk. Iíll be the first to admit that this probably isnít gonna be a fair comparison, but Iím gonna make it anyway. Compared to the SRSís, and I would suspect my 1Cís as well, quality, room-filling sound does not equal presence or that ďbig sound.Ē Does that make sense? Iím pretty confident in saying that the SDA doesnít have anything to do with this statement. If one desires to have presence and big sound, there no replacement for displacement.

At my house, thanks to the SVS, I was able to take the bottom-bottom end off the LSi9ís. I was really rewarded with some nice sound. I didnít take the time to do a full system calibration however I didnít change the settings used with the SRSís due to the overall quality of my sound curve. My ears seem to think it was pretty close. What Iím trying to get to is that with the bottom of the bottom removed from the 9ís, the lower midrange really seemed cleaner. I didnít push them to the SPL we did at Steveís, but there wasnít a hint of the woofer losing control or distorting or anything else nasty.

To sum up, I want to keep things in perspective. As clear and as smooth and as controlled as the LSi9ís are with their advanced tweeters and drivers, ARC and PowerPort, they really donít seem to be able to anything that my 20 year old SRSís canít do in those terms. With that said, a) I wouldnít hesitate to have the LSi9ís near the top of my list for an office or bedroom system in the future, and b) if such a beast as say, a LSi-SRS, ever gets built, screw the office system!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Nice review. I love my LSi9.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Forgot to ask you. Did you notice the mid-bass hump in your rig? A few of us here had this problem. I found the source to mine. It was the NAD pre. With my tubed pre, I had to roll tubes with no 'warmth' to get rid of this.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information