Assume we're sitting around a table in a bar, throwing back some foams, and I ask you to ponder this....
Here is the situation. In our living room (no TV), we have a 2ch rig that is primarily for background music, talk radio, etc. We have 3 young kids including a 16 month old, so speaker placement is an afterthought. Up and out of the way is mandatory. Currently I am using a single upgraded RT55 sitting on top of a bookshelf for the living room, and the same receiver is driving a pair of Polk RM3s in the kitchen.
What I'd LIKE to have is a small pair of speakers like the RT4i or 6i (and Russman recommended a pair of small KEF) for the LR to have some placement options. But even if I could convince my wife we should spend $150 or less on speakers, even *I* can't justify spending the money without selling something. Another pair of speakers means a pair goes to storage.
What I have...
1. A pair of RT55s that I bought from Hbomb. He upgraded all the drivers and the crossovers to RT55i components. Sonically, they're perfect. The cabinets are black and in used condition; one grill has something on it.. a stain? wax? a couple of snags. I'm missing one set of the copper connectors on the bi-wiring posts.
2. A pair of Monitor 5Jr+ that are absolutey mint. My wife bought these new when we were dating. These are currently surrounds in the basement HT. I *could* part with these, but I think my wife would balk or at least ask whether a going dollar value matches their sonic value to us.
3. A pair of Monitor 7Cs that are almost absolutely mint (a corner or two might have a very minor 'lift' in the vinyl). I bought these new in 1990. These are HT mains. I'd have a very hard time parting with these. They are my first Polks, bought right after college.
4. All the components (no cabinets) for a pair of RT8s (four 6.5" drivers; two SL2000s; crossovers). I was using one set of components as a home-built center channel up until we bought a new entertainment center. I haven't built a new center channel cabinet yet.
5. A small Advent center that I bought from a forum member. Great shape, works fine, sounds decent with Polks. I'm using it now, but as often as not I set the system to "no center"; just depends on my mood.
What I'd *like* (but don't NEED) is more placement options in the LR, and I'd like an actual Polk center. I know I can't sell one pair and buy both a new small pair and a center - but I think I could sell a pair and add a little cash and make it work. I saw RT4is go for $130 (?) and centers go for less than $150.
One day (one hour?) I'm ready to sell the 55s or try to trade them. Then I flip-flop and think I should hold on to them until the day comes that I can really set them up properly and enjoy them. But who knows when that day will come? (could be YEARS) Some hours I think I should sell the 5jr+ and use the 55s and 7Cs for HT. Some hours I think I should swap the 5jr+ to the LR (at least they're a little bit smaller) and put the 55s downstairs as either mains or surrounds for now. Always, I'm wondering if I can really sell ANY of these for a price that matches their "sonic" value, and wonder if I'll just be disappointed if I sell/buy or trade for smaller (but probably newer) speakers.
Getting a pair of small speakers (combined with getting a center or not) *requires* selling something I have. I just can't decide what to sell and whether the sonic trade-offs are worth it? Is a less-than-ideally placed RT55 (or even two) actually better than better-placed small speakers?
Thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks for any insight or opinions.
Obviously I haven't posted any 'for sale' ads on the flea market and "fishing' posts are frowned upon. So, this is my 'opinions/fishing' thread.
On rereading this.. if it isn't clear, I know that any 'new' pair of small speakers or a center would be used. Just 'new' to me.