Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Need some audio rack designs...

Anyone know where I can find some good audio rack designs? I want to build one myself(trying to follow in dad's footsteps) and need some help. I'd really like something as basic as possible as I don't have much woodworking skills. I did manage to build some decent acoustic panels that turned out ok, so I have a little comfort in doing this. Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Pump.

I also would be interested in such a project.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Just build a flexy rack, doesn't require much skill to do and comes out great. here is the link, I've got a picture of mine in my system, and am in the process of building another one.

Very flexible, you can build one that is two, three, four, five(mine), six...racks, you can have a three, four, or five leg design(mine), you can have standard shelves, staggered shelves, whatever you want to do with it.

Jared

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Build a stackable rack where each shelf is a separate unit like the one pictured below. I have a similar shelf and it's great when you need to take your system down and put it back again.
    Attached Images  
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (4)

+1 on the flexirack. I did it w/ hardwood & hung the whole thing from the ceiling and it looks awesome. Total cost was under $100 for 6 nineteen inch component sized shelves and 3 fifty inch widescreen TV sized shelves.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I think the DIY Flex type rack is a cool idea....easy and cheap. You can also customize it by using different woods, sleeves for the rods, different hardware, etc.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Awesome ideas. Thanks a ton.

Agreed. I know what I am doing this weekend now.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Here's a rack I just completed this week...

It's made from solid Sapele and Purpleheart. I purchased the isolation spikes on the net. Was a lot of fun to do and can't wait to get everything in and begin using!!!

http://www.pbase.com/brandonrowe/audio_system

Member Sales Rating: (39)

Nice DK integrated.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

The Flexy table is a good design, and REAL easy to do. You could do the whole thing in half a day, then spend the rest of the day to brag to your friends about how handy with tools you are!

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Anyone know where to get the threaded stainless steel bars? I stopped by Home Depot today, but no luck.
    Last edited by mhartman29; 01-17-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Old Polk

AKA: All thread rod. Should be available in most building supply (or plumbing supply) stores.
    Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say

Great, thank you!

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Quote Originally Posted by mhartman29 View Post
    Anyone know where to get the threaded stainless steel bars? I stopped by Home Depot today, but no luck.
    Plumbing section, they HAVE to have it....probably one of the most commonly used items in plumbing other than pipes and fittings.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

How's that scotch BrandonR? Always interested in new scotches...

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Try McMaster-Carr. They have a great selection of threaded rod (some also call it all thread); any thread/diameter/material you should need. Also any hardware like washers, nuts. Much cheaper then HD, even with shipping, which for me has been overnight every time without extra charge.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

I keep looking at racks I like and it reaffirms that I am going to build one! The prices are just too much for me to want to shell out. Plus, I can even buy BDI and a couple of other (more basic) furniture lines for cost and I still don't wanna pay it! I gotta get started on a Flexy rack as soon as I get this friggin demo vehicle out of my garage.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

One idea I would like to do someday is Get the shelves cut out of quarter inch clear safety glass. Then have blue leds shining from the side (drilled into the wood that makes up the sides of the rack). This will give the front edge of the shelf a blue glowing effect.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by BeRad View Post
    One idea I would like to do someday is Get the shelves cut out of quarter inch clear safety glass. Then have blue leds shining from the side (drilled into the wood that makes up the sides of the rack). This will give the front edge of the shelf a blue glowing effect.
    Like my Mouse Pad?
    Attached Images  
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Has anyone done this with the all thread as described on the tnt flexy table site? I picked up some all thread and I'm questioning how good this will look in the end. I love BrandonR's version, but that wouldn't be as easy to do.

If you get the basic all thread, I would paint it black or some matching color. You can always touch up the scuffed spots after you screw it all together. Or, get the black coated stuff that's all ready to go. That's what I'm deliberating on myself as I want the black all thread.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

That's a good idea. I was considering that as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about adding a back for wire management?

Has anyone done this with the all thread as described on the tnt flexy table site? I picked up some all thread and I'm questioning how good this will look in the end. I love BrandonR's version, but that wouldn't be as easy to do.
    Yep. Check mine out here.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

I remember seeing yours before. Absolutely stunning. I just spent the weekend trying to stain some birch plywood that I bought for the shelves. I wish I had 1/4 of your wife's skill to make mine look like yours!

Speaking of my setup, does anyone have any ideas how to stain the edges of the plywood? You can see the various layers of the wood and it isn't taking the stain very well. I'm hoping to find a way to cover that up.

I remember seeing yours before. Absolutely stunning. I just spent the weekend trying to stain some birch plywood that I bought for the shelves. I wish I had 1/4 of your wife's skill to make mine look like yours!

Speaking of my setup, does anyone have any ideas how to stain the edges of the plywood? You can see the various layers of the wood and it isn't taking the stain very well. I'm hoping to find a way to cover that up.
    You and me both. She'll tell me the steps, what to use, and expects me to follow. I'll stand there with the brush in my hand for an hour or so, staring at the project, mouth agape, 'itl she comes down and does it for me. I also ask a lot of stupid questions, repeatedly. I do the same thing when we're painting the house.

I don't know how well you're going to do staining the edge of plywood. You might try either some edge banding from a veneer supplier or getting a couple of pieces of solid birch in the correct thickness, cutting to fit, and gluing to the edges. Check out boywonder's thread on veneering Monitors in the Vintage Speakers section, what he did on the face of the cabinets is similar to what I'm talking about.
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

I've done both the above with pretty good success. If you use veneer, make sure you take your time & trim it well- otherwise it chips when you drag your gear on & off of it. Using the solid wood is more expensive, but I can do it just as fast as the veneer & it adds some strength.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Just a FYI for anyone in the same situation as me (staining plywood). I found some iron on veneer at HD called BandIt that seems to be working well so far. It was easy to apply and I can then stain the edges of the wood so that everything matches nicely.

http://www.band-itproducts.com/index...dging:preglued

Mmmmmmmm.....Now I have something to occupy my time, and a reason to make a mess in the garage....I'm thinking about designing some small speaker stands, like 6-10", for use on a desk or dresser. Steel, lost likely...
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

Thread Information