Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 35
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default Legacy Classic rig nearing completion...

    Gear:

    Legacy Classic Loudspeakers
    Lovan Classic Rack
    Melos SHA-1 Tube Linestage / Headamp
    Audio Systems Engineering Tube Monoblocks
    AMC CD8b Transport
    Assemblage DAC-1 D/A
    MIT Terminator 4 RCA
    MIT Terminator 3 Speaker
    Tributaries Silver Digital
    Signal Cable MagicPower
    Signal Cable MagicStrip
    Cardas Myrtle Wood Blocks
    Audio Technica Iso Feet

    What's missing? THE TABLE of course. I think I may try a 'budget' table in this room, maybe a Goldring GR-1, or Project Debut III. Phono amp, maybe a Graham Slee or CI Audio, just to try something different.

    The ASE mono's are simply phenomenal. 'Audio Systems Engineering' was Gary Dodd's company 10-15 years ago, before he created 'Dodd Audio'. 4 x 6SN7, and a duet of KT88 on each amp. Switch on the fly between Ultralinear (60w), and Triode (30w). I've started out in Triode, and don't hear any reason to switch thus far. They control the four 10 inch woofers in the Legacy's VERY well.

    Again, that's all to report, for now. I've got 2 rigs to get the vinyl side squared away on, and I'll be DONE for a little while. Wink wink. Now, off to 'finish' the video rig or get my drink and listen on - tough call.

    Cheers,
    Russ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P0006253.jpg‎
Views:	308
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	13101   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0006255.jpg‎
Views:	220
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	13102  
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    869

    Default

    Hey Russ,
    For ****s and giggles...are those amps plugged into dedicated 20amp circuts each?
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (25)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    4,447

    Default

    Great set up. The Legacy's look great!

    It does look a little weird without teh SRS 2's.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

    Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    It does look a little odd without the SRS 2's.

    Dedicated 20amp to that room, not each amp. I'm debating a balanced power supply on each rig, or just get a huge one right at the breaker box, so the entire house has balanced power.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sooner Country
    Posts
    3,793

    Default

    Are those white "Bose cubes" sitting on the back of those amps? :D

    Tell me about those Legacy speakers.......are they a ported dipole design? I think is a line that I have never run into.

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    The old timer Gary originally built them for, wanted the trannies painted white.

    6 driver, 4-way speaker. Dual 10's - 1 forward 1 rear firing, ported. They do have a defeatable rear firing abient tweeter (which I have engaged, I like it).
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sooner Country
    Posts
    3,793

    Default

    I bet they have a nice full range sound.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (3)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mid-Michigan
    Posts
    3,549

    Default

    russ why didn't you get the focuses. any way, I couldn't aford either. curious, how do they actually sounf, was in awe of the focuses back in the day(when i was a basshead just wanted a speaker that would go down to 16 hz). If i remeber corectly the classics go down to 22? any way kick ass man . Guess i've got to stick with my sda 2b's and (don't hate me) my technics receiver in all of it's inergrated ic amp technology glory.
    Speakers:SDA2a, sub:Atlantic Technologies 172 PBM
    Pre:B&K PRO-10MC(2ch)
    Amps:Parasound HCA 1000a
    SourcesOppo DV-970HD, Xbox360, Kenwood KT-5300
    Cables:Philips/RCA/Monster

    Life's short, Listen to SDA's
    Life is short live Sui Juris
    Where did SOPA go?

  9. #9
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Over Yonder
    Posts
    7,883

    Default

    If I didnt know better - you are actually getting serious about this audio stuff Russ.

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    The Focus were a little out of reach. The Classics sell for $3600/pair, I picked them up for less than half of that. I'm not crazy about the Oak finish, but it's growing on me.

    http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...ku=ALEGCLASSIC

    I edited the 'ugly' comment out, I was thinking the Whisper, not the Focus.
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 12-30-2005 at 11:11 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Nice set up!

    You will really like the Legacy Classics, a friend of mine has a set powered by some decent Dennon stuff and they sound great.

    I was very torn between the Legacy Focus 20/20's and the Polk SRT's but went ahead with the SRT's as i have to share one system with 2ch and theater (Just had a baby...spending more time at home now) and the rest of the Legacy speakers cost much more $$.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN
    Dedicated 20amp to that room, not each amp. I'm debating a balanced power supply on each rig, or just get a huge one right at the breaker box, so the entire house has balanced power.
    I believe that balanced power is only for electronic equipment. You may want to check if you are allowed by local code to have balanced power for the entire house.

    From the BPT site. Please refer to the orange text.

    From the Equitech web site. Follow the link...

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    I'm allowed to have whatever I want, inside my house. I've already tested one of Dodd's Balanced Power Supplies for him (not ready for sale yet). I'm no EE, but I'm talking exaclty 60v on each rail of the plug, capacitance up to a certain wattage (800, 1500w etc).

    I have a friend in Dallas that has done it, with a HUGE transformer in the garage, why would it not be up to code, or harm anything electronic. Balanced is as pure as it gets, no?

    Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Yes, you can do anything you want to your own house. If something happens to the house and it’s caused by utilizing something inappropriately, damage may not be covered by insurance. Just a word of caution.

    I have never connected any other type of appliance or lighting fixture to my balanced power unit (BPT BP-2.5) so I am unsure of the underlying reasoning behind the code.

    The transformer will take the input voltage and divide it to create a positive and negative voltage out of phase on each side of ground. You will not be guaranteed to have +-60v. Only regulation can provide this. If you have regulation problems or exessive line noise, I would suggest looking at the Exactpower EP15a. We have relatively clean and very stable (118v to 121v) power so I can not comment on the effects of inserting balanced power into a problematic environment.

    ---

    Size the transformer so you only use up to about 80% capacity. If you draw more than this, your system may sound ‘weak’ or ‘thin’.

    When you get a unit, make sure each side of ground is the same voltage. The closer the voltage, the better the end results.

  15. #15

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuSsMaN
    I'm allowed to have whatever I want, inside my house. I've already tested one of Dodd's Balanced Power Supplies for him (not ready for sale yet). I'm no EE, but I'm talking exaclty 60v on each rail of the plug, capacitance up to a certain wattage (800, 1500w etc).


    Cheers,
    Russ

    Not exactly...

    You only have one phase electric at a 120 VAC outlet not two 60vac phases put together.

    You might want to look in your electric panel, the ground bar and neutral bar should be connected together if it is a single residence house.

    I'm not an expert on balanced electrical systems but i think it used to stabilize the frequency at 60hz.

    Jonathon

  16. #16

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmierzur
    Yes, you can do anything you want to your own house. If something happens to the house and it’s caused by utilizing something inappropriately, damage may not be covered by insurance. Just a word of caution.

    I have never connected any other type of appliance or lighting fixture to my balanced power unit (BPT BP-2.5) so I am unsure of the underlying reasoning behind the code.

    The transformer will take the input voltage and divide it to create a positive and negative voltage out of phase on each side of ground. You will not be guaranteed to have +-60v. Only regulation can provide this. If you have regulation problems or exessive line noise, I would suggest looking at the Exactpower EP15a. We have relatively clean and very stable (118v to 121v) power so I can not comment on the effects of inserting balanced power into a problematic environment.

    ---

    Size the transformer so you only use up to about 80% capacity. If you draw more than this, your system may sound ‘weak’ or ‘thin’.

    When you get a unit, make sure each side of ground is the same voltage. The closer the voltage, the better the end results.

    OK, i was wrong in a way, but if this is the case you definitely dont want to put balanced power through your entire house as the case of some appliances would have 60vac to ground or any path to ground (Through you!).

  17. #17

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    Something to think about (sober), thanks guys. I'll look at it sans new years.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  18. #18

    Member Sales Rating: (6)

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Buckeye Country
    Posts
    716

    Default

    Every once in awhile the Classics come up for sale at Audiogon. Man, they look great. Don't know how the sound is though. Have you had a chance to a/b them to other speakers that are about the same price? BTW I think the Whispers look kinda cool.

  19. #19

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiPerf360
    OK, i was wrong in a way, but if this is the case you definitely dont want to put balanced power through your entire house as the case of some appliances would have 60vac to ground or any path to ground (Through you!).
    Actually, on a power system, you want all the equipment at the same potential so that it doesn't TRY to equalize that potential through YOU! Usually a person is not the path of least resistance, all things being equal.

    That's why virtually everything is tied together at the neutral: pole ground, transformer high & low-side neutral, tank ground, system neutral, lightning arrester, service cut-in, and finally, depending on the system specs, the guy wire if one is present. (Some power companies, i.e. Georgia Power, choose to isolate the guy rather than tie it to the system neutral. This procedure is optional per the NESC. Any RUS borrower, i.e. most cooperatives, has to tie the guy to the neutral.)

    Wes

    Editted to add: Obviously, through the service line form the power company, and your house's ground is attached to the system neutral from the driven ground rods or the eupher (sp?).
    Last edited by I-SIG; 12-31-2005 at 10:42 AM.
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

    Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

  20. #20

    Member Sales Rating: (4)

    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...
    Posts
    5,190

    Default

    Nice rig, Russ. You get some of the coolest ****...

    I could see doing balance for dedicated A/V outlets, but personally wouldn't do it for the whole house. I'm thinking of doing it for a couple of areas in my house. One of them I'm going to run new dedicated circiuts to anyway, but the HT I have to retro. Shouldn't be much of a problem, they are coming out of a sub panel.
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

    RT1

  21. #21

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Beech Mountain, NC
    Posts
    252

    Default

    Those Legacy Classics are beautiful! The other gear looks pretty darned good, too! :)

    Robbie
    Main System: Polk SDA SRS 1.2 Speakers, Sunfire Signature 600~two Amp, Carver C-16 Preamp, Carver TX-11b Tuner, Marantz 6350Q TT, Philips CDR-775 Recorder, Teac V-707RX Cassette Deck, Signal Cable Double Run Speaker Cable

    Upstairs Den: Marantz 2325 Receiver, Marantz 5220 Cassette Deck, Marantz HD-880 Speakers, Marantz 6370Q TT

    Exercise (Kabuki speaker) Room: Kenwood KR-9600 Receiver, Pioneer CS-99a Speakers, Sansui SP-X9000 Speakers (not pretty, but LOUD! :) )

  22. #22

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti
    Posts
    12,608

    Default

    Lookin' GOOD, broham.

    I'd hold out for a table a little farther up the food chain, you know?

    BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

  23. #23

    Member Sales Rating: (40)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    18,401

    Default

    Yeah, but I'm actually curious what the 'entry level' table market has to offer. Will it be a permanent addition, probably not - but I'm still interested on what one can do on a budget.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

  24. #24

    Member Sales Rating: (7)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti
    Posts
    12,608

    Default

    I look at it this way, I've got the Music Hall MMF5 and the ARXA. Now, the AR is what I would consider comparable to an 'entry level' table and it sounds good, however, the MMF5 is FAR superior (and it's not that much more than the ones you are considering.

    I think any way you go, you can't 'lose' but the MMF5 or something similar, considering your gear, is where I'd look to start.

    BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

  25. #25

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    436

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I-SIG
    Actually, on a power system, you want all the equipment at the same potential so that it doesn't TRY to equalize that potential through YOU! Usually a person is not the path of least resistance, all things being equal.

    That's why virtually everything is tied together at the neutral: pole ground, transformer high & low-side neutral, tank ground, system neutral, lightning arrester, service cut-in, and finally, depending on the system specs, the guy wire if one is present. (Some power companies, i.e. Georgia Power, choose to isolate the guy rather than tie it to the system neutral. This procedure is optional per the NESC. Any RUS borrower, i.e. most cooperatives, has to tie the guy to the neutral.)

    Wes

    Editted to add: Obviously, through the service line form the power company, and your house's ground is attached to the system neutral from the driven ground rods or the eupher (sp?).

    Read the whole thread, i was stating why you would not want to send balanced power through your whole house. If you did this the neutral and ground would not be tied together but would have 60vac to them. I talked about the neutral/ground situation in the post i had before the one you quoted.

  26. #26

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    OZ
    Posts
    1,579

    Thumbs up Congrats!

    A really, really nice system. :)

    I've been a big time fan of Legacy Speakers for years and have been tempted to buy some used speakers a couple of times. (Coulda, woulda, shoulda...) The only piece of theirs I do own is the Deep Impact sub I had them build for me a few years ago when they were still factory direct only. Love it.
    polkaudio speakers: SDA-SRS-2.3 (modified) SDA-2B SDA-CRS+ RT3000p CS400i LF-14 Monitor 7B

  27. #27

    Member Sales Rating: (8)

    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    2,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HiPerf360
    Read the whole thread, i was stating why you would not want to send balanced power through your whole house. If you did this the neutral and ground would not be tied together but would have 60vac to them. I talked about the neutral/ground situation in the post i had before the one you quoted.
    If you want balanced power safely, just get 208VAC 3-phase equipment. :D

    Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

    Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

  28. #28

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    436

    Default

    and good luck getting that to your house from the power company...

    Mr. Smith, you will have to move your theater system to one of the industrial areas to get that service.

  29. #29
    Old School
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Higher & Dryer, Texas
    Posts
    10,176

    Default

    Whoa... Cave no more. It's starting to look like the land of esoteric.

    Russ,
    If you want to play with an AR XA (or XB) for a while, just say the word. I'm heading north this coming weekend and might be "convinced" to swing by Monday and part with one of mine for a while.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

    "It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

    Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

  30. #30

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    FL 320
    Posts
    5,005

    Default

    Sweet! What kind of sound do Legacy speakers put out?
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts