Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Polk Audio THX Certified Subwoofer?

I have a client to whom I am prepared to pitch installing a combination of LCI-RTS105s as the LCR speakers plus four LCi-RTS100s for the side and rear surround sounds. The value prospect, in part, is the THX Ultra 2 certification of these speakers since this home is being built on spec. We have tentatively discussed dual CSW200s as in-ceiling subwoofers, but they are not currently THX certified. Does anyone know if Polk is planning on or in the process of having them certified? If not, what do I install in order to be able to rubber stamp the installation as THX Ultra 2 certified?

Member Sales Rating: (58)

If the room is being built to Ultra2 specifications, that's the main idea behind the certification in the first place.

"While THX Ultra2 Certified Products are dependent on the room size, THX Ultra Certified Products are not. THX Ultra brings high end performance to interconnects, equalizers, projection screens and DVD players, complementing the THX Ultra2 category."

You just want the subwoofer to be formally certified? The application in regards to subwoofers is also room dependent, as in the rating for that subwoofer per cubic feet/volume. It also covers a host of performance qualities like flat response to 20hz, high SPL at 80hz....and some other interesting tidbits.

I don't think it would be an issue....BUT this would be best answered by someone from Polk as opposed to a few board junkies like myself....I'll drop a line to someone nifty today.

Polkosaurus Rex

We have considered submitting CSW subs for THX certification and my guess is that we will and we are very confident that multiple CSW 200s would meet the standards. But don't hold your breath because even if we started the process tomorrow it would be months before we got an answer.

If I knew the size of the room I could do calculations to predict SPL with dual CSW200s. From my subjective listening I can say that the RTS105/100 system with 2 CSW200s kicks butt. I kind of doubt the "Polk Paul Kick Butt" certification seal of excellence will hold much water with your customer.

If you must have THX U2 certified woofers, I don't know of any built-in subs that have been so certified, although THX would be the people to ask. I suspect that your choice will come down to either using the CSW200s or go with a free-standing THX woofer.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

The "Polk Paul Kick Butt" certification seal of excellence is good enough for me.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Jesse - You have no idea where those hands have been....you sure about that?

Member Sales Rating: (13)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Good point!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Polkosaurus Rex

Are you guys poking fun at me? I'm very sensitive. I think I'm gonna cry...

We only poke those we love...well that didn't sound right. Go ahead and file the restraining order....

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    We only poke those we love.... ....

Ah that explains it.. :D
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds