Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Default First Music that got you interested ?

All this talk about favorite/first concert got me thinking.

What music influenced your initial interest in music? About what age were you when this happened? Where did you hear the music? What was the format? Lp/Radio/Cassette/8-Track/CD, Parents music collection/Friends music collection/Sibling music collection? Get the drift?

I was about 8 years old (1974) and I always had to have my parents play their system if I wanted to hear music (didn't have my own yet). Grew up on Rod Stewart, Elton John, Dr. Hook, Linda Ronstadt, Loggins & Messina, Beatles, Jim Croce among many others of the era.

My favorites were always Maggie May (Rod Stewart), Mamma Don't Dance (Loggins & Messina) Bad Bad Leroy Brown (Jim Croce), Rocket Man (Elton John). That x-mas I got a small all in one system and my Dad gave me a couple of his Beatles albums (Meet the Beatles & The Beatles' 2nd album). I constantly played "Roll Over Beethoven" & "I Want to Hold Your Hand" until I wore the damn things out. This is also the time I used my Jack Kramer wooden tennis racket as a cool guitar. (I was taking tennis lessons at the time).

For me it was all Lp's and Cassettes. My Dad is still upset to this day he let me have those Beatles albums as they were the original 1st Capitol pressings. A few Christmas's ago I dug them out and wrapped them for him as he'd been asking for them back for years. Needless to say they were in pretty bad shape :D .

These events have kept me seriously interested in music/audio ever since. It started at home.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

My earliest interests include: The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Donna Summer, Boz Scaggs, Rod Stewert, Blondie, The Supremes, The Jackson 5, Willie Nelson, Roy Orbison, The Oak Ridge Boys, The Blues Brothers and AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap.

-Lou

Member Sales Rating: (9)

For me it was Chicago, always loved hearing the trumpet.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood on LP.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer - Karn Evil Number 9
    Ludicrous gibs!

Finally Washington, DC - Well... Virginia really

My sister left her Three Dog Night - "Naturally" and Yes - "Going for the One" albums home from a college break - I beat the crap out of them on my brothers little fold up record player... I still love both albums... I must have been 11 or 12.
    Home Theater = Harman Kardon AVR 20II Receiver, Audire Model 1 100wpc Stereo Amplifier, Toshiba Progressive Scan DVD Player, Carver C-9 Sonic Holography Generator, Technics 5 Disc CD Player Front: Polk Audio SDA2bs, Rear: Harman Kardon SAT-TS60, Center: Polk Audio CSi3, Subwoofer: 160wpc DVC BIC 10" 60" Panasonic Plasma
    2 Channel = Harman Kardon 630 Twin Receiver, Dual 1229 Turntable, Infinity Crescendo CS-3006 Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Grease and Saturday nightfever. Disco was hip when I was young and man was I into it.
    Later came Kiss and Queen.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Dc Talk
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I first remember listening to music on the local AM station around 1978 or 1979 when in Jr High. All the girls used to call in dedications to the guys so you had to listen to find out who liked you :D

It was probably the summer of 1981 when I really started getting serious on about music. This was the summer right before I turned 16 and the music I remember really getting into was:
    Van Halen- Fair Warning- Fair Warning and Unchained
    Rush- Moving Pictures- Tom Sawyer
    AC/DC- Back in Black- whole album
    Billy Squier- Don't Say No- The Stroke and In the Dark
    Kim Carnes- Mistaken Identity- Betty Davies Eyes
    Eagles- Hotel California- although this had been out a few years at this point

A trip down memory lane......time to crank some music :)

I don't remember....... but I think it was on a record player......... yeah it was on an old 78 record...... in the 50s......... a child's record...... lets see....... it's becoming clearer....... I think it was Peter Cotton Tail.
    Last edited by BobMcG; 01-08-2006 at 08:34 PM.
    polkaudio speakers: SDA-SRS-2.3 (modified) SDA-2B SDA-CRS+ RT3000p CS400i LF-14 Monitor 7B

Member Sales Rating: (20)

grew up with my dads band playing music from

Cal Tjader...Milt Jackson...Crusaders..

my uncle was the drummer..

at 6 yrs old, I picked up the sticks and the rest is , as they say, History..!!

My first LP was in fact Cal Tjader; Breeze from the East..
    If anyone ever finds this lp, I will pay top dollar for it, as mine was stolen

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Hmmm..........I am thinking I was four or five, but I distinctly remember it. I Church Choir, dressed in their robes, singing Silent Night, I thought, my goodness that is the most beautiful thing I ever heard.

First tune I recall humming and singing along was Twist and Shout on a Transistor Radio, what was the like 1964.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

I don't remember how old I was, but I picked up an 8-track player and a box of tapes at a garage sale. It fascinated me how it would switch "programs". Even more interesting was seeing what the tape looked like inside. :)

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here is the album that sucked me in. AC/DC and Chicago nailed my addiction.

Iron Butterfly-In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida my first album, loved the drum solo.

Then came Chase, Chicago, Blood, Sweat and Tears, Ides Of March and Maynard Ferguson Its all about the horns baby!!!!

You have mail beardog03.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°

Creedence Clearwater Revival and the Beach Boys Pet Sounds. I wore the tapes out twice I listened to them so much. Born in 1980, and I got those from my dad around 85 or so. I had always loved music before that because of my dad and my uncle, but those were my first tapes.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

janmike, your my friggin hero , man....!!

A General Electric mono transistor radio with a nine volt battery....Yikes...what was I thinking..???? Thing was, that's all I had to listen with ...to... the Beatles, Stones, Tempin' Temptations, etc.......did I say Neil Sedaka ?......Ouch !
    Rich

SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Moded Hafler DH500
    McIntosh C20
    Rega Planet
    Magnum Dynalab MD 100
    Vampire Wire

Mits 65"
    Denon AVR 3803
    Polk Cs400
    Polk Monitor 4.6
    KLH sub

Member Sales Rating: (8)

AM transistor radio. The Kingsmen (Louie Louie), The Beatles(I Want To Hold Your Hand), The Beach Boys (I Get Around), Jerry Lee Lewis (Whole Lotta' Shakin' Goin' On)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Dual Radio Shack crystal radio kits and earpieces, a 10 yr. olds dream stereo! I had a pretty diverse musical start, my Dad had a Heathkit tube stereo system and loved Teresa Brewer, Billy Holiday, etc. My Mom was mainly into gospel and Elvis. In those days we didn't have cabs on the farm tractors, we only had the big AM box radio mounted on the fender that had to drown out all the noise of the tractor and implement! Big country KSO in Des Moines was the only station that would come in going both ways across the field, unless you wanted to listen to talk radio on WHO. So I spent a lot of time listening to what is now known as classic county, I prefer to call it real country. Favorite groups at a young age ... Chicago, Paul Revere and the Raiders, Guess Who, Uriah Heep, Chase (played trumpet all through high school, and before he was killed Bill Chase came to Iowa State University and played with the first chair's from all the central IA high school bands, very cool!), Blood Sweat & Tears, Black Sabbath, Moody Blues, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Johnny Cash, Dusty Springfield, War, Grand Funk Railroad.

My parents always encouraged the music, whether playing or listening to. They never discouraged my love of audio equipment. Same for my sister, although she made a living out of it. Retired early from Arista Records as Director of Promotions and manager of the Grateful Dead fan club. Now writes for a number of music publications and web sites.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Kiss...Dynasty album...while puking Grape Mad Dog 20/20 into a friends underwear drawer at age Moron. That was pretty life changing in the fact that I only drank 20/20 a few more times before realizing it just made me feel sick.

Perhaps not the singular moment I discovered music, but certainly one I'll never forget.

Old School

Default AM radio baby...

Grew up on Cleveland's own "WIXY1260", a low power local rock station, and a Motown station with a mega power antenna in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

My 1st 45 purchase was The Killer's Great Balls of Fire, so I guess I'll blame that.

1st LP purchase came a bit later Meet the Beatles.

Still have both and both are still very playable,
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

What got me interested in music?

Waynes World. I was 5 and I fell in love with Queen and all sorts of other classic rock songs after watching that movie. Then my taste in music took a dive, and then it came back a few years later.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

The first record I bought for myself was Alice Cooper Killer when I was about 8 years old. It is still a favorite. I played it until the grooves wore out... Everyone was sick of it after the first day. I'm sure the whole family would cringe to this day if they heard any song off of that album.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

OK I am showing my youth here but...

NIRVANA. Along with a lot of the other alternative ealy nineties bands.

IT was nice to see some substance and innovation after years of crappy 80's synthesized fake big hair glam rock.

That and my dad always played some beatles, doors and eagles that were always big for me.
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR

Thread Information