Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Buying for the future

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Harman/Kardon reciever very soon. My question is as follows...would there be any difference in buying the HK 235 vs 635 at this point, when later on down the road I want to use the HK as a preamp, and get a good amp and speakers? Right now my speakers are pretty average (cambridge soundworks 5.1 surround sound setup), but I am fairly sure I will be getting LSi 7s or 9s, depending on the budget when the time comes. I know about the obvious price difference bt the recievers, but that is part of the problem...I'd be willing to spring for the 635 if it would help later on, but at the same time would like to save if it won't matter (i.e. I wont be able to tell a difference when either of those recievers are hookd up through a good amp)

Does getting the upgraded reciever matter that much for my future setup, when I plan on using seperates anyways?

My main listening will be for music, I am even contemplating ridding myself of the surround sound, and setting up a 2 channel system...not sure if that might change anyones advice?

Also, any comments on the proposed setup? HK 235/635, amp (not sure which one yet...ideas?), LSi7/9 for mostly music? (Sub also not sure yet...live in an apt, so sub would effectively be off for the most part anyway)

Thanks in advance, I think this is one of the best forums I've come across on any subject, everyone is extremely patient and helpful, yet opinionated. I read these posts all the time, but my novice-ness with this stuff as well as my budgetary concerns prevent me from posting or asking too many questions!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Get the 235, get the amp later (use the 235 as preamp).
    Joey's College Gear:
    Current Gear:
    SB3 -> PS Audio DAC III -> Cary Audio SLP-98Phono Tube PreAmp w/ Sylvania NOS 6sn7 tubes -> Plinius SA102 Class A amp -> Martin Logan SUMMIT/Strata Mini -> :D
    Old Gear:
    Martin Logan Vantage (4.75/5)-ML Mosaic (4.25/5)-Onix Ref1 (3.7/5)-Sonus Faber Concerto (3.5/5)-SF Concertino (3/5)-Axiom M22ti (2.75/5)-Polk LSi9 (3.75/5)-LSi7 (3.25/5)-HK AVR330-Rotel RC1070/RB1070/RB1090-SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    RUSH Med School 2008!!:D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

right on

Well, I went by the local circuit city...and I ended up talking the price of the AVR 635 down to $588.....the AVR240 (they don't carry the 235 anymore...) was 540 new. Pretty easy decision, and I have to say I'm loving this reciever! Can't wait to get a few more bucks, and upgrade the speakers. LSi 7s or 9s?

Any recommendations on amps btw? That is the area I'm least knowledgeable about.

Thanks guys, your help is always much appreciated.

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Amps -
    New or Old
    Adcom
    B&K
    NAD
    AMC
    Rotel
    Outlaw
    Audiosource
    AV 123
    Etc
    www.Vr3Mods.com ///// www.Version3Audio.com

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro

TV = WS65611
    Pre-Amp Onkyo 830
    Amp Aragon 2007
    Panamax 5510
    Towers = LSi25s
    Center = LSiC
    Side Rear (2) = LSiFX
    Rear (2) = LSiFX
    JBL S120P II
    Sony Upconverting DVD Player
    XBox
    XBox 360 (Wireless connection live and media center enabled)
    PS3

Thread Information