It’s been SEVERAL months but I finally found time to finish my DIY sub. It is a sealed design, with an internal volume of 130 liters (4.6 cubic feet, or so), with the Atlas 15 driver from Ascendant Audio. After about four pounds of stuffing I hope it comes out around a low Q design. The top is 22.5”, but the sides are around 21”. It stands just over 31” tall.
It is a 3/4” thick MDF box, “veneered” with 1/4” oak plywood. I used plywood to keep the costs down, it was cheaper than using actual veneer, plus it gave me another 1/4” of wall thickness. The top is 3/4” oak plywood edged with real oak to cover up the plywood sides. The “frames” on the edges are 1/4” thick oak. I was trying to make the sub look like mission style furniture, which is what most of the furniture in our house is. I still need to do a lot of sanding and stain it, but we’re in the middle of a bathroom remodel so it will have to wait. I don’t want to rush the finish, so I’ll use it as is until I have more time.
I’ve attached a few pics, but you can check out pics of the build process in the link below.
I just finished it today, so I haven’t gotten a chance to hook it up yet, I was too busy ripping up sub-floor in the bathroom.