Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Small outboard dual headphone amp

We received a portable DVD player last weekend from my wife's grandparents. Unfortunately, we purchased our own last summer to take on a long car trip. But, as they live (and purchased this) far away and I've never heard of this brand, we have zero possibility of returning it. It's a keeper.

Problem is the built in power for the headphones is just too low. The unit has a single output but came with a Y adaptor and two pair of headphones. We tried the headphones that came with our other player - same problem. So, either I try to find REALLY efficicient headphones or I get some sort of outboard headphone amp.

My wife and I listened to the player the night we got it, no kids, no road noise, just the movie, and it was JUST loud enough to use. No way in a car. And the little built-in speakers were completely useless. Perhaps it will have to be used only for one person at a time....

Edited to add: duh.. my question... anyone have experience with a small amp? I'm not sure this entire unit is even worth the investment - I know it isn't worth two better quality high-efficiency headphones, unless someone knows of some on the cheap.
    Last edited by burdette; 01-20-2006 at 05:07 PM.
    HT: Denon 1910, LG blu-ray, Def Tech ProCinema 100s, Stryke 12" sonosub.
    LR: Onkyo TX-84 (original owner), Aiwa AD-F850 (original owner), Philips TT (old school, 2nd owner), Philips CD (cheap-o), Monitor 5jr+ (original owner - actually, my wife is the original owner; she bought them new when we were dating - sealed the deal).
    Xbox 360/Wii/Kids: Old school huge Sony HD TV, Sherwood RD-6500, Philips DVD, pair Def Tech ProCinema 100.

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

The Sonic Impact battery powered switching (chip) amp might be a solution. Do an internet search for it (usually under $25) and check the specs on the output.

Good luck!
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (4)

search at head-fi. There are a lot of small battery run headphone amps available. You can even find plans to build your own there.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

listen to suck2beme..
    He steared me right when I had the same questions..

head-fi ...
    I got a Total BitHead amp for my Ipod, and it works for the laptop also..

Check it out

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by sucks2beme
    You can even find plans to build your own there.
    Good idea! Someone here (I think) posted a thread about one they built in an Altoids tin not too long ago.
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Thread Information