Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Hook-up Question for HD DVD and Blue Ray DVD Players

I've read that some of the new DVD players will require HDMI hook-ups. My widescreen TV (RCA) has component and DVI connections, but not HDMI. Is there a HDMI converter that I can use?

My assumption is that I can continue to run the audio through my NAD T773 receiver and the video directly from the player to the TV through the HDMI/DVI converter.

Thanks,
    Trees
    Last edited by trees; 01-24-2006 at 11:05 PM.

http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/DVI-hdmi_adapt.html

Note that will have to use hdmi 1.3 to get 1080p signals

Member Sales Rating: (4)

You'll need a DVI connection that has HDCP to get HD signals. For an analog, the best they'll put out is the same 480P signal that you get with current DVDs. So check your manual to see if that DVI connector has HDCP and if so, then get yourself the adapter.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Member Sales Rating: (2)

One exception could be the xbox 360... it is going to have an HD-DVD add-on, but the xbox 360 only has component video out.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

nope. As of last week all manufacturers had to restrict analog output to 480p. However, Microsoft has said that they'll add/enable DVI/HDMI as soon as it makes sense (probably about the time HD dvd hits).

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6300812.html

Granted, the studios get to choose whether to set the flag on or off, but seriously, who here really thinks that they're gonna allow it?
    Last edited by unc2701; 01-25-2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i

Default Sickicw, Unc2701, Lanion

Thanks for the suggestions & link. I had looked at the user's manual, but it was so poorly written that I could not tell what it was saying about DVI. On another page, though, was a definition of DVI: "DVI component is connected to the DVI-HDCP jack on the back of the TV. . ." Bingo! I think.

I don't think that I'll be able to use 1080p as the manual says that the DVI-HDTV connection is designed to display either 480p or 1080i signals at a bandwidth of up to 1.78 gb/sec. Hopefully the new HD players will output in 1080i.

Thanks again,
    TREES
    Last edited by trees; 01-25-2006 at 04:53 PM.

Does anyone know what type of audio connections the hd-dvd/blue-rey player are going to use? I hear that they are supposed to use some kind of new audio decoder.

Polk-a-dweeb

9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Polk Engineer
    Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by r.camacho1
    Does anyone know what type of audio connections the hd-dvd/blue-rey player are going to use? I hear that they are supposed to use some kind of new audio decoder.
    One option will be HDMI once the 1.3 version comes around. I think they just finally agreed on the 1.1 or 1.2 version, its a ways away. With the new HD-DVD players, they will have internal decoding and you can use the analog outputs to your current receiver. I don't know what's going to happen with optical and coax digital outputs and the new digital formats.

If you're looking to upgrade a receiver just for DTS-HD or DD-HD, I would wait. The only receiver I saw mentioned with any of this decoding was a Monster receiver and it was VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYY expensive (but who would have guessed that from Monster?).

Thread Information