Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default monitor 30 crossover question

Obviously from my post count and my question below I am not only a new member but also a regular greenhorn/rookie/neophyte/noob to home theater systems. Anyway, to give you some background, I have a onkyo tx-sr503 and a pair of monitor 30's. I know thats not a lot and not very impressive but its all I could afford at this point, I am after all, still a lowly college student. Hopefully in the coming months I can add a few more speakers and a sub.

My question, since I don't have a sub yet where do I want to set the crossover? From my searches on this forum and the "education" section I think I am suppose to set it at the lowest possible which is 60 on the onkyo. But I read somewhere else that it might hurt my speakers and the onkyo manual is telling me to use 100. What should I do?

I know this question has been answered in one form or another many times, I just wanted one tailored to me. Sorry :)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Without a sub, there's no reason to use the crossover, and you'll want to set them to them "large". Just don't crank them to hard - they're only bookshelf speakers.

When you get a sub, you'll want to set them to "small" and play with crossover settings in the 80-100 Hz range.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Good advice by Adam. Once you get a sub try the 70-80hz range. Maybe 60hz. but I doubt they'll go that low beyond -6db. I have my crossover set to small & 60hz global but that's b/c mine go down that low within the +/-3db. window.

Thread Information