Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adcom 5503

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Adcom 5503

Thinking of purchasing the Adcom GFA 5503 (same as 5500-only 3 channels instead of 2). Anybody have any experiences. Let me know of amp sound. good - bad, and how long ago (model year).

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Mick,I picked up a used 5503 less than two years ago...so I can't put a date on the amp. itself...I get along very well with it,I have two channels powering the lows on our RTi12's and the third channel powering our CSi5 center...I have a 5400 driving the upper end of the 12's.

The amp.will get warm,but has never gotten HOT...I would call it a straight forward sounding amp.,doesn't seem to color the sound or lack in depth...

Just good,clean power...very happy with the performance of both amps...I would buy another if I had the need.

Hope this helps,Mike

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reeter
    Mick,I picked up a used 5503 less than two years ago...so I can't put a date on the amp. itself...I get along very well with it,I have two channels powering the lows on our RTi12's and the third channel powering our CSi5 center...I have a 5400 driving the upper end of the 12's.

The amp.will get warm,but has never gotten HOT...I would call it a straight forward sounding amp.,doesn't seem to color the sound or lack in depth...

Just good,clean power...very happy with the performance of both amps...I would buy another if I had the need.

Hope this helps,Mike
    Thanks Mike! Thought i would get more action on this one. Just curious how much did you pay for it?

If memory serves me right,I bought a package deal,the 5503 and a 5300 for around $600. I sold the 5300 and picked up a 5400.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

how much of a difference did you see between the 300 and 400?
    Besides 45 watts of course.

A bunch,the 5300 just didn't have much to offer,made the upper end of my 12's way too bright,and "lacking" for another term...

The 5400 seems to be a better "sounding" amp,a little mellower,yet enough power for what I use it for...

I hooked the 5400 to our SRS 2's when I first got them,"using a ground wire" and it drove them very well...

Member Sales Rating: (16)

You can't go wrong with Adcom. Great, solid gear. Here's an older link that may be of some help

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_3_3/v3n3k.html

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend anything Adcom. Owned several pieces for years and years, used to sell it as well.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thread Information