Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DVD Connections

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default DVD Connections

What's the preferred audio cable connections for a DVD palyer to my H/K AVR240? Optical? Coaxial? or just good quality audio cables?? The DVD player is a Sony NS715P and I use it mostly for video rentals. Right now, I'm using component video cables and just a cheapie audio cable I had laying around for my old Panasonic tuner.

Don't mind spending some money for optical or coax if the sound quality improves to match my new AVR and Polk Monitor 70's, CS1 and sub.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

i use optical, but only b/c i had a nice cable on hand and needed the coaxials for other means.

No difference unless you're using very long runs, then an optical cable would suit you better.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I'd go with digital (coax or optical, whichever you prefer, there's plenty of debates over whether one is better or not but nothing definitive, so it's up to you), since your H/K probably does better decoding and bass management and all that than the Sony.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Yes, pick either type of digital cable (I personally prefer coax due to the more robust RCA plugs) - digital is the only way you'll get 5.1 Dolby Digital or DTS surround (unless your DVD player has multi-channel analog outs, however I'd still choose the digital connection).
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (4)

hola george..
    i also have the hk 240 and monitor 70's, and when listening in two-channel, i have noticed a major improvement in sound quality when using standard rca's over a digital coax
    i would suggest doing a comparison by hooking up both at the same time (the digital to the front panel and the rca's to the dvd input on the back of the avr, as they are both directly connected to the dvd function or video 4 of your HK) -- this way you can switch from digital to analog by pressing the digital button near the center of your remote while remaining on the dvd function, affording you a quick and painless a/b comparo without the mess or exertion
    of course, if you have a CS1, you'll want to use a digital coax or optical cable for HT --
    but again, i'm only speaking of partaking of the two-channel
    try it out, and let me know :)

Thread Information