Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default SDA II's - tweeter not producing sound (Mfg. 1986)

My SDA II has two tweeters. One is not producing any sound. I confirmed that it is not the tweeter component itself. I pulled out both tweeters and I found that the tweeter that is not working has a white and a blue wire to it whereas the other tweeter that is working has a white and black wire. I suspect that this means something. I am not skilled at electronics - so my question: is this a "simple" problem that I could attempt to tackle myself or should I not waste my time and take it in for servicing? And if servicing is needed, would any repair shop do or must I use a Polk Authorized service person?

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

How did you determine that, "it is not the tweeter component itself."
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Well, I purchased a replacement tweeter and the problem remains. I also switched the "bad" tweeter with the "good" tweeter and found that the "bad" tweeter does work.

Ok, in that case you have a bad polyswitch on the corresponding crossover board. There are a total of 4 polyswitches between your two speakers, you should replace all 4. Call Polk CS and they will send them to you.

Edit: Depending on the year of your SDA 2's, there might be fuses instead of polyswitches. Look on the binding post plate for any fuses.
    Last edited by F1nut; 01-29-2006 at 09:53 PM.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Great..... So, you think I could do this myself? Any idea what this would cost?

Have you looked on the back yet?

Fuses? I do not see any external fuses. Would the fuses be internal?

Nope. You have polyswitches. If you ask Polk very nicely, they will send them for free. Can you solder?

I can try. I am a bit concerned about getting to these wires though. Do I need to pull out the other components to reach the wires?

Thanks.

Remove the PR (the big round thing at the bottom) to get access to the crossovers, make a drawing of what wire goes where, unbolt the crossovers and warm up the solder gun. The new polys look a lot like the old ones, easy to ID.

Thank You.....

You are welcome. If you have any further questions once you get inside, please ask.

Thread Information