Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sub for Newbie

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Sub for Newbie

OK, Newbie alert! I'm setting up an entry level (for Now) HT speaker system with the bargain R30s and R15s for surround. By chance I picked up a CS2 cheap. (Mistake?) Now I'll need a sub for this setup. My intention is to upgrade the fronts before too terribly long and wanted to go ahead and get a decent sub now. This will be for a medium to large size room. I'm powering the system with a Yamaha 5890 (hope this was a decent choice). Fire away...
    Thanks,
    Tim

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Budget?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Budget wise I am most confused about what a good subwoofer should cost. I've seen prices that start at about $150 and go up to the stratosphere from there. I was hoping to keep it under $500 for sure.
    Please help keep me away from the man that drives the white van around...

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Polk offers some affordable, decent sounding subwoofers, have you considered any of them?

As for other alternatives, I think you can get the PB-10 for around that pricepoint - svsubwoofers.com . Also, check out the Dayton Titantic kits at partsexpress.com.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

i have a budget orientated system as well...basically the low line R series. I use a dayton 10 inch sub which goes for 100 from partsexpress.com. They have better versions of the one i got now and I would recommend the 12 for a lil more (20 bucks or so)

depends on what you watch as well. Movies that you watch such as action might want a lil more power and extension out of your subs. In that case the SVS is usually recommended.

Good luck,

Chris
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR502-S
    DVD Player: Pioneer DV-578A-S
    Left and Right: R50
    Center: CS1
    Rear Center: R15
    Surrounds: R30
    Subwoofer: 10'' Dayton 100 Watt

I just ordered an SVS 25-31 PCi series and will update the RM3000/CSi3 thread here when I get it with my impressions.

It was $549 and from all I've read, should provide excellent bang for the buck.

The site has changed, it's http://www.svsound.com/

I couldn't find any of the local showrooms carrying anything decent in that price range and the next jump up was over $1500. For the same $550 most places had the junk series Velodyne or JBL subs.

Bass coverage is never cheap and if you cut corners there it will almost always bite you. I went as cheaply as I was comfortable and I'm anxiously waiting to see if it does what I want. I know the subs that Circuit City and Best Buy stock are nowhere near what I want for the money and hope this one proves itself out.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

the SVS PB10-ISD would be enough for your first sub.. it's entry level, but there is nothing entry level sounding about it. It's within your price range... you'd be very hard pressed to find another subwoofer as good as the PB10-ISD for the same amount of $.

Thanks for the heads up on the SVS. Where's the best place to get one?
    Oops, looks like this is a direct to customer company. They don't deliver in the white van I keep hearing about, do they?
    Last edited by texastbird; 01-31-2006 at 01:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by texastbird
    Thanks for the heads up on the SVS. Where's the best place to get one?
    Oops, looks like this is a direct to customer company. They don't deliver in the white van I keep hearing about, do they?

online is their only outlet. SVS subwoofers are not carried in stores.. i think someone posted the link here somewhere. or do a search on the ol internet. on their webpage, they also sometimes carry B stock subwoofers.. which might save you a few bucks. They tend to disappear pretty fast on those B stock subwoofers.. so check back every day or two.

Is a B stock like a factory second? Hate to ask so many stupid questions, but this is a foreign language to me. Just a couple of days ago I thought that timbre matching was 2X4s in one pile and 4X4s in another.....

from the SVS website.

B-Stock

All of this gear is "like new"* and fully warranted, as any product right out of the box or off the SVS line is. They are perfect functionally but might have been opened or even gently used. Minor cosmetic issues are possible, but performance problems are not. Priced to sell, no further discounting. Any items without a description fall under the general b-stock condition described; any major cosmetic issues will be specifically mentioned and discounted accordingly.

Okay, thanks Dangerboy.

Thanks from me too, for the info...Ciao, Bill :)
    Mcintosh MX110 Mcintosh MC7200
    Mcintosh C225
    Yamaha RX-V2600
    Olympus EV-SP12
    Yamaha A720
    Yamaha A1000 DSP
    Yamaha E200 DSP
    Bose 901/IV's
    Bose 201's
    Bose VC110
    Marantz 120B
    Marantz 1060
    Sony Speakers and woofer (garage stuff)
    Teac,Sansui, Pioneer dvd,and tape
    XM radio
    50"Panny plasma
    Polk T90's,CS2,30's, PSW10

ok hey guys i need some help im getting a new system in my car i will have a panasonic 50 x 4 head unit polk db 570 speakers in my front and the db 690's in the rear, i want to get the polk db212-2 subs, but i dont know what amp i need to drive them im new to this too, id like the polk cs 500 but will it handle the job and really kick ass
    thanks for the help
    tyler

tyler, you'll have better luck posting your questions in the car audio part of the forum on the site. you posted in the home audio. it's easy to do.

scroll down farther on the page and you'll see the car audio section.

good luck. and welcome to THE club. ;)
    Last edited by danger boy; 02-01-2006 at 03:42 AM.

audio pirate (Bill) Welcome to Club Polk, another one of us comes out in force from Washington state.. we're set to take over the World!!! :p

Always glad to know more people in the Northwest like Polk Audio products. Stick around and have some fun.

Al

Spokane here btw.

SVS PB10-ISD - $429
    Hsu STF-2 - $399
    Hsu STF-1 - $299
    Outlaw L??-2 - $299

The STF-1 and the Outlaw are reportedly very similar speakers. I ended up with the STF-2.

Thread Information