Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Default Anybody tried the new Ascendant Audio drivers?

I have been accumulating the parts for a Sonosub and so far have an Atlas 12, a PE 1000 W amp and plenty of 24" sonotube. Given that I have a 4ft piece of sonotube and a 1000W amp, I'm thinking of ditching the Atlas 12 idea and going with an Arsenal 15 or Havoc 15 for the driver which can really leverage that kind of power. Any advice on whether this is a good idea? Can someone help me model the sub?

My main objectives are to get exceptional sound quality (low distortion) and maximum extension. I do not think I need to break any windows, though I would like it to play loud enough to scare the dog. :)

*bump*

come on guys, I know you have opinions. I value them as I know next to nothing about this area.

I have yet to read anything about the new AA drivers. I'm sure they're great.

If you are considering two 15's, I would consider going with two sealed subs. You'll get a fantastic musical sub and with the help from room gain you'll dig plenty low. check out my in room response in my Atlas 15 thread

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36556

with a little help from my BFD I will have a flat FR down to 20hz, I'd likely have even more output at 20hz with two, but that isn't going to happen in my situation.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I havent heard them but have heard good reviews.

I like the *bump* technique too :)
    -Stopher
    Tempe, AZ

Setup:
    Polk RTi8 Mains
    Polk CSi5 Center
    Polk FXi3's Surround
    Cerwin Vega HTS10 Subwoofer
    Yamaha HTR-5740 AVR

Upstairs R50/R15/CS1 5.1 setup w Pioneer AVR

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I've had the Atlas 12 and the 15. Let me tell you -- there's a huge difference. For DIY, I'd definitely go for the 15" Arsenal. In terms of SQ between drivers, I don't know. I'm guessing the differences are very small.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Excellent. Thanks. I think I will go ahead with the 12" Atlas Sonosub to learn some, but I will reserve the 1000W plate amp for a box type Havoc based design. The Havoc sounds like a brute. I hope someone on here tries the Havoc and can share some lessons learned with it.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

They are taking preorders for the 15" Havoc. I have a PE 500w amp collecting dust. I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on a Havoc. For about 500 total, that would be a nice sub unit. All I could use. Tied with SRS 2's, it would probably sound nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Polkersince85
    They are taking preorders for the 15" Havoc. I have a PE 500w amp collecting dust. I'm thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on a Havoc. For about 500 total, that would be a nice sub unit. All I could use. Tied with SRS 2's, it would probably sound nice.
    What kind of enclosure design are you considering?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I'll probably build a sealed front firing box.. I'll wait until they post recommended enclosures and go from there. Unit will be completely sealed with amp mounted externally. That's about as far as I've gone with the plans...except for a hidden chamber at the bottom with about 60# of concrete in it. ;)

Thread Information