Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default setting speaker levels with sound level meter

ok...I just hooked up my rt800i's and SVS 25-31...

I am starting to calibrate the speakers...

I have a Kenwood vr-6070 (looking at getting a HK 635...3-4 years is apparently too long for me to go without upgrading :D )..

I am using it's internal speaker tones with the sound level meter...should I be using a setup disk's tones, instead..? or doesn't it really matter?

also..in the SVS manual, it says to have the subwoofer gain level at 1/3 to start...and the level from the receiver at 1/4 max (mine goes from -10 to +10)
    so i set to -5..

since the reading for the sub was too low, I raised the volume on the subwoofer gain to just over half for correct settings...the receiver level was left at -5...did I do this correctly?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by krabby5
    ok...I just hooked up my rt800i's and SVS 25-31...

I am starting to calibrate the speakers...

I have a Kenwood vr-6070 (looking at getting a HK 635...3-4 years is apparently too long for me to go without upgrading :D )..

I am using it's internal speaker tones with the sound level meter...should I be using a setup disk's tones, instead..? or doesn't it really matter?

also..in the SVS manual, it says to have the subwoofer gain level at 1/3 to start...and the level from the receiver at 1/4 max (mine goes from -10 to +10)
    so i set to -5..

since the reading for the sub was too low, I raised the volume on the subwoofer gain to just over half for correct settings...the receiver level was left at -5...did I do this correctly?
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Many of us prefer to use the Avia or Sound and Vision DVD to calibrate the speakers.

Your sub at -5.0 is fine. 1/2 way on the sub gain is typical. You could go -3 db on your receiver and maybe cut back slightly on the sub gain. For Home Theater, you can run your sub "hot" at +3 db higher than your left or right speaker. For music run it the same db.

Polk-a-dweeb
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Yep, -5 is OK.

And, as was mentioned, many folks like to run the sub 3-4 dB hot for movies, just to give some extra kick to the low freq effects. In your case, that would be -2 or -1 on the receiver's sub level.

My Outlaw sub calibrates to -2 with my sub's gain at just under 1/2. I run it 4 dB hot (+2) when I want some low end oomph in action movies.
    Polk LS90
    Polk CS400i
    Polk FX500i
    Outlaw LFM-1 Sub
    Polk Monitor 7C (secondary location)
    Pioneer Elite VSX-45TX
    Audiosource Amp Three (2), Amp One/A (1)
    Cambridge Audio C500 Preamp
    Sony 222ES CD/SACD
    MSB Nelson Link III DAC with P1000 Power Supply, Music Hall DAC 25.2
    Squeezebox Classic
    Sony BDP-S1000ES
    JVC DLA-HD250 Projector
    Da-Lite HCCV - 100" Permwall 16:9
    Time Warner HD Cable
    Panamax 500 DBS
    MIT, Blue Jeans, AR, Outlaw Cables
    System Showcase

Thread Information