Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Default filling speaker stands?

just to refresh, I got some Dayton speaker stands that I can fill. I was going to use sand? but should I use sand and lead shot?

I was thinking just put lead shot on the bottom (lower center of gravity) then cap off with sand.

any thoughts? never filled stands before.

got these to put under the LSi9's I'll using while I tweak the Carver's
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (13)

It depends on how much weight you'd like to add. Lead shot, of course, is much heavier than sand. Unless you've got a huge fillable area sand doesn't really add all that much weight but it's better than nothing. You could use coins and make a piggy bank out of them. Kitty litter has also been mentioned, as when my poor Sparkles disappeared leaving a ****load of kitty litter in his wake, no puns intended :( Having said that, I just used sand in mine and I think it worked fine.
    Last edited by dragon1952; 02-13-2006 at 12:41 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Audio Advisor carries some stuff called Apollo Sound Bytes. Made of small stainless discs. 22 lbs for $49. I don't see it on their website but it is in the new catalog page 27.

Lead shot is king in my book. 25lbs. for $20.00 at any Pro Bass Shop, probably at Wal-Mart too. Use heavy latex gloves when handling.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (58)

I concur with the lead shot idea, it's not that expensive.

Heavy gloves when handling? :) Thanks Mr. Safety.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

I have some PE stands and filled them with sand. It didn't make any difference whatsoever and didn't add very much weight to them, so I wouldn't recommend it. Eventually, I'll replace the sand with lead shot. If you decide to use lead shot, please post your results. Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (2)

What if you used lead shot and then added sand to fill any gaps created by the lead? I'm not sure what size shot you guys are talking about using so it might not make enough of a difference to be worth the hassel.

I would think pennies might rattle a little, whereas lead and sand seem to be quite absorbant and dead.

#5 shot is very small, not much in the way of gaps to fill, but nothing says you can't do both.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (19)

#5 or #6 lead shot, $16.99 a bag at Gander Mountain. I fill only about a third of the column. It seemed to me that when I filled the entire column that the weight was too high and made them top heavy. Filling only the bottom third seemed to anchor them better and the weight was bottom heavy like it should be. With a third of the columns filled, they are heavy enough it seemed.
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (58)

That's where I get my shot, Gander Mtn.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

allright, will go with lead. I might roll with lead on the botton, sand on the top. I thought of the low center of gravity issue dkg brought up.
    I was worried the lead would rattle if not mixed thooroughly with sand. seems that is not the case. that was my biggest worry. thanx for the help guys
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut
    Use heavy latex gloves when handling.
    Huh? Do you put on an iron lung before you eat a pack of Winston?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

my apollo oz6's are just filled with sand. they have quite a large central (slightly thinner than a drain pipe.)tube that's heavy enought with sand in it. lead would proberly be better.

http://www.apollohifi.co.uk/speakersupport.htm
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .

Thread Information