Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Video Card Upgrade??

OK, first of all, I know absolutely nothing whatsoever about video cards, so please forgive the simple questions --

Is there any value to purchasing a video card? Right now I'm using the motherboard's video chip. My computing needs are simple - mostly e-mail, DSL Internet and word processing. I don't play games, either. However, sometimes when I view a video (like the ones currently posted in the Clubhouse), it'll lock up for several seconds, then resume. I'd also like to get better resolution on pictures and videos, especially when viewing in full screen mode. Will an inexpensive (i.e., <$50) PCI video card offer these advantages? If so, what is the minimum amount of memory I should shoot for?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Video card isn't really going to help you with those things. When you're watching something that's already rendered (i.e. a movie or video clip) - your CPU is actually doing the majority of that processing, your memory is also a factor...

As for the video locking up, that could either be because of your connection, quality of the video, or CPU and memory in your machine.

As for the resolution, that's really dependant on the source file. My $400 GeForce 7800GT won't make a 320x240 video look any better than my wife's $50 video card.

The only thing a video card is really going to do for you (besides giving you more connection options) is give you more real time rendering ability, which is basically only going to apply to games, CAD software, and animation software...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Thanks, PM.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Polk Woodpecker
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

RAM!!

What are your specs? CPU, RAM, Windows Version?

256 Mb, 1.3 Ghz, XP. The problem could be the connection speed. I primarily use the slower computer that is on a home network.

Thread Information