Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Upgrade Question?

I have two pieces left to upgrade in my home theater, my receiver and my sub. I am pretty set on buying the HK AVR 635 and a SVS 20-39 sub. The costs of each are pretty close to the same. My question is which should I upgrade fist? Which one will give me the most noticeable difference? I watch mostly movies and digital cable and listen to very little music. My current JVC 5.1 100watt receiver does an alright job but is definitely lacking in video connections and I am sure it is also lacking in power. I am still able to run my DVD player with component cable and my digital cable with S-video cables. My JVC 110W 10" sub is boomy and definitely a weak link in my system. My room is 25X10 with 8' ceilings. I am on a limited budget and should be able to purchase one of the two by July and then the other before next year. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much and I can tell you this forum is a savior for us beginners.
    Polk Monitor 50's (fronts)
    Polk CS2 (center)
    Polk Monitor 30's (rears)
    JVC 100W sub (being replaced)
    JVC 550w Receiver (being replaced)
    xbox
    32" Sharp

I used to own a JVC receiver and when I jumped to the (current) Onkyo I noticed a huge difference in sound quality. I'm sure that the HK receiver will give you the same results. And definetely you HT will improve with the SVS sub. MY room is 28lx17wx11h with open areas to dinning room and kitchen and it fills out the whole house at 35-40% gain.
    MAIN ROOM
    Front: SVS MTS-01
    Center: SVS MCS-01
    Surround: Polk FXi50
    SurrBack: Polk Rt25
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC+ (Qty 2)
    Pre-Pro: Integra DTC 9.8
    Amplifier: BA A7200 7 channel
    BLU RAY: Panasonic BD30
    HD-DVD: Toshiba HD-XA2
    PureAv PF60 Power Console (Qty 2)
    Cables: BETTERCABLES and MONSTER

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Get the receiver first.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Yep. Just like a good woman, look for the brains (receiver) first then the body (sub).
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Agreed. The receiver is most important. It will make the "future" sub sounds GOOD. ;)

Thread Information