First off, I wanna thank opus for being so generous and sending the tuner to me for no cost. That's a stand up guy, if ya ask me.
I can't say as I have an immediate use for it, but I figured that when I finally end up with a tube pre later this year, I'll no longer have a tuner. Though this tuner is mono, I figured it was better than nothing. Plus, it's neat to have an older piece of equipment, and it should at the least be fun to go through and clean up.
It took me a while to figure out what the terminals on the back were, but I finally realized the one on the right (with the two screws) is for the antenna input, while the RCA jacks are for the fixed and variable output (remember, it's mono, so only one RCA jack each). I hooked it up to the front aux input on my receiver just to see if it works. I first used the fixed-level output (the one that says 'Lo'), and I got nothing. So then I moved to the variable-level output (marked 'Hi'), and without an antenna of any kind I managed to pick up two or three channels relatively well. Once I fine tuned it after I found a station, there was no static or noise, provided I didn't walk around the room any.
So, at any rate, I now have a Heathkit FM3A tuner that I've started disassembling to clean it up a bit. Once I realized the guts of the tuner are mounted to a frame and all the gold plates are just added on to dress it up, it came apart pretty easy. I now have the top and the bottom plates off, and I've begun taking the back plate off. And, as no 'project' should be without, I have a problem.
As you can see, both the RCA jacks and antenna input are screwed to the back plate. I took all the screws out, and the back plate would just come straight off if the RCA jack were all I had to worry about, but the antenna input is being a problem. I removed the screws for the antenna input, but as you can (hopefully) see, the brown plate is being a problem. My lack of terminology is probably going to make this hard to follow, but the metal plates that the screws that actually hold the antenna wire down screw into (might hafta read that one a few times! :p) appear to be permanently attached (or at the very least installed from the outside) while they are also welded to other things inside the tuner. This is leaving me puzzled, as I can't remove the back panel until I can disconnect the antenna input, and I can't seem to see a way to disconnect it short of cutting the wires, which would necessitate resoldering them. And I've never soldered anything, so I'm a little more than hesitant to do that.
Hopefully your experiences and/or my pictures will serve to clarify all the gaps I've left and confusion I've created with my descriptions.
Any and all advice and suggestions are most welcome! :)
1) That'd be the front.
2) Those are the 'decorative plates' that I've removed.
3) Here's a close-up of the connections on the back.
4) A close-up of the antenna input.
5) And another angle.
6) Here's a look at the exposed tuner from the top.
7) And from the bottom.