Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sounding Off

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Default Sounding Off

OK,"tiss late ,had a few beers,been quiet for way too long.Since no one in here has any balls,I will do it cause frankly my dear ,I dont give a damn.After
    listening to all the cry babys in here about newbies and postings and for sale listings....you guys really dissapoint me.I joined this club in 2001 but listened in for many years before.Have had more Polk Speakers than most in the last 25 years.Now all I hear is how you guys can not stand newbies,you want to make rules for the ones who have 1000 post or better,etc etc.Maybe you forgot what it was like when you were a newbie.So many times I see post of intolorence of someone"s gear or smokeing or drinking or religion or there knowledge of audio.Makes me sick.Yet the very ones who critisize,are the ones who seek to seperate themselfes from the rest.They are just too knowledgable,too good to have to deal with the same questions from newbies a flippin thousand times.Why....this is their site ..dont you know.They must have stock in this company...sit on the board of directors maybe...your guess is as good as mine.ONLY THEY can decide who comes and goes,who they will help or not.Sure,,,,I too miss the old days but times do a change.Newbies come and go,and the ones worth there salt stay and become regular members.Even I myself by the new rules am considered a newbie cause I dont have 40,000 post.Some of us have a life you know and dont spend every wakeing moment on what we can say on the Polk forum just for the hell of it.Think back to why the forum was created in the first place.To give Polkies a place to go to for help,news,chat,creat a sence of belonging to something special.Build customer loyalty thru constructive conversation,not flame every newbie looking for help.And this forum has done that.It is with great love for this forum and the great products of Polk Audio that I feel this must be said.This forum will and always will be a place for all Polkies,not just the high and mighty.So segragate yourself if you must,thats your right,just do it some place else.While I know I dont speak for everyone in here,I do know there are alot who feel the same but have no balls.Forgive my pitifull spelling,Its late and the hypocracy and arragancy in here is wearing me out.Good night to ALL POLKIES!!!

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Drinking + posting = bad idea.

Who said that they can't stand newbies? G'head and point out exactly where. The whole flea market issue is a WHOLE other ball of wax, cochise. If you can't understand the difference, well, we see things different.

Too good to answer questions? Not quite. Now, I'll admit, answering the same question over and over is redundant. Most will either ignore the thread (despite your implication, no one is 'required' to respond) or politely encourage them to use the search function. What's so awful about that?

As far as flaming every new person, that's a pantload and you damn well know it. This is no different, really, than any other social situation with accepted norms and patterns of behavior. To get along, you've got to go along. Right, wrong or otherwise it is what it is. More to the point, I don't think it's all THAT different than when I joined up the better part of a decade ago. Thick skin was the order of the day then as well.

One more point I'd like to bring up....when it comes to perpetuating the family atmosphere around here, just who do you think does that? Who do you think puts on Polkfests out of thier own pocket? Welcomes complete strangers into thier homes? Offers up OUTRAGEOUSLY good deals on gear? Since you are on your soapbox, just what have YOU done for the forum? It's one of those things, everyone wants to bitch but no one wants to contribute except for a certain few.

I could go on, however, tony, I put it to you....what do you have to offer? Don't like the way things are? Cool, participate. Make the forum what you think it should be. What's stopping you? OR is it, it's much easier to sit on the sidelines and whine?

BDT

BDT
    Last edited by TroyD; 03-16-2006 at 04:38 AM.
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (55)

There's an awful lot going on in that post. "Tis" unfortunate you have to read the whole thing to deduce that none of it was worth reading. But hey, thanks for posting.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

all i can say as a newbie myself everyone here on the forum has been great to me and i cant say one bad thing about these guys. Not one has ever said a bad thing to me and has been nothing but helpful and i look foward to being here for a long time.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Stupid or repeated questions don't/won't get you flamed. Add in an attitude and then you have a flammable substance.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Polk Woodpecker
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

I could've sworn that -Justin- updated the forum with spellcheck. Guess I was mistaken.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Another great big bag of nothing.....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Polk-a-dweeb
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

No one hates newbies, but newbies that sign up and start pawning off their stuff in their first post and then disappear...well they aren't doing anything to benefit the forum or it's members.

Answering the same old questions over and over, sure it gets a tad tiring on occasion. There is a search button and slot of info can be found by putting forth a wee bit of effort.

Newbies, old stick in the mud members, sideline queens...it doesn't matter who or what you are. A little courtesy goes a long way. How many times do we have defend ourselves cuz some impatient twit didn't get his answer within X amount of minutes?

It's the internet, thick skin is mandatory..... my E-Penis is bigger than your E-Penis, yada yada yada.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Old School

Quote Originally Posted by shack
    Another great big bag of nothing.....
    I shudder to think of the royalties you are having to pay BDT lately.

As said above, it's attitude that determines the acceptance of any individual... same in a forum as it is face-to-face.

I, too, answer the same old question far less than I once did. Often when I do I, as many other vets, post links to previous threads from my treasure trove of saved e-mail notices.

While the "feel" of the Club has undeniably changed over the years, it remains the most fun of any sites I've found.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
    "Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

Rebuilding Maggie 2-ch & Amazing 2-ch... Building 2-ch "wall"... Figuring out the HT

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tour2ma
    I shudder to think of the royalties you are having to pay BDT lately.
    TWO times. Besides....show me the copyright and I will be glad to send Troy his cut of the profit I've made from using the phrase :D .
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

sorry newb you lost me after the 6th line.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Repeat after me - period, then SPACE SPACE.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

hey, I just wasted 10 minutes of my life. folks, the concept is simple, there are many different types of people here, which will make for some interesting conversations. IF you like it here, stay, contribute, genuinly debate, whatever. If you dont like it here, find an internet forum that you DO like. I hang here because I get good info, meet cool people, debate with people I dont agree with it, and gerally enjoy myself. If I didnt, I would not be here. This is not Rocket science.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (5)

sometimes we just have to remember these are words on a computer screen, and shouldnt affect your life TOO much
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

TonyB, umm...eh...Never mind!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

'SIT ON THE SIDE LINES AND WHINE' hmmmmm....funny,I thought that was my whole point.TOO many whiners in here.Do not take my comments the wrong way,yes there are members here that do wonderfull things.POLKFEST,and so on,it is the " Holyer than thou" attitude I have a problem with.I was not trying to diss.all the good dudes and gals in here.I guess we can agree to dissagree on certain issues and thats cool.TROY,dude,if this is you.."TO GET ALONG WE HAVE TO GO ALONG" then I feel sorry for ya pal.You will make a great politician some day.Thow I do agree on alot of what you said.This forum is great, the members do it.And that was my point Troy.So changeing this forum by throwing up rules for all those beneath you is OK with you ?Maybe I am in the minority here.....if so....then I must have fallen off the audio waggon and landed in California somewhere.WE all bitch and moan about this and that,throw a flame at a newbie here and there,thats fun crap.Lets all be a little more tolerant of each other.....thats all I was trying to say,man.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

My head hurts more than when Doro posted those mind bending illusion pictures.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Tonyb, you have 66 posts in nearly 5 yrs.. not exactly a contributing member.. but it's ok.. not everyone spends as much time in here as I do. I joined the same month and year as you did.. and i have over 5000 posts. I"m not bragging, just making a point. People know me and love me. :p

You get out of here what you contribute to the learning process.

I don't have any problem with you or your comments. Everyone sees things differently.

Stronzo

Tony,

One day you may look back on this thread and blush. Stick around awhile, become familiar with all that is the club and I can guarantee your perspective will take more than just a slight variation from what it currently is.

I will save you some time and capture some of it in a nutshell; This forum is one of the few company ran gig's that go, for the most part, un-moderated. Polk's range of products seem to attract a very unique set of people, and when they all come together, this is the result. (ok, had to throw that in for satire)

Yes, the core group that make up the forum has a lot of strong worded, tell it like they see it folk. Well, ... lets not beat around the bush, plenty of people here can be dicks :D. Every once in a blue moon, I'm one of them. As you settle in longer you will start to notice a family like atmosphere, disfunctional as it may be. It is what it is, whether right/wrong, whether you love us/hate us/dont care.

Yep, you will need thick skin to stay here. Despite the hard exterior, you will find people that bring other strangers into their home for a good time, offering deals on equipment at dollar store prices, shelting or supporting others in a time of need, donations, and other things of that sort. Due to the nature of this environment - you will naturally have eyes kept on you. Think of it like being a fish in a baggy being dipped into the tank so other fish can get acclimated to your presence.

This post isnt to justify the actions of the community, but more to point out that there is more that meets the eye. The Flea Market NEEDED change, for both sides... its all gravy. Keep postin..

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy
    Tonyb, you have 66 posts in nearly 5 yrs.. not exactly a contributing member.. but it's ok.. not everyone spends as much time in here as I do. I joined the same month and year as you did.. and i have over 5000 posts. I"m not bragging, just making a point. People know me and love me. :p

You get out of here what you contribute to the learning process.

I don't have any problem with you or your comments. Everyone sees things differently.
    Your right,but everytime I need a answer to something, I normally find it in old post instead of asking retorical questions.Was this not one of the complaints members have? Post for fun,post for knowlege,post to sell gear,post,post,post.Did not know this was a horse race.5000 POSTS is impressive,but are they to contribute or just b.s.chat?A members worth is not the amount of post he or she has.For example..Matt Polk himself,how many post does he have?And you mean to tell me if he was to log on to this forum, he would be critisized ?He would be welcomed for his knowledge and thanked many times over.Some members can contribute more than others,that is no revelation,but the ones that cant should not be critisized for it,thats all I have to say on that....gotta run,I think I smell a newb.:)

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Ah nevermind, I don't want to get into this.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb
    Your right,but everytime I need a answer to something, I normally find it in old post instead of asking retorical questions.Was this not one of the complaints members have? Post for fun,post for knowlege,post to sell gear,post,post,post.Did not know this was a horse race.5000 POSTS is impressive,but are they to contribute or just b.s.chat?A members worth is not the amount of post he or she has.For example..Matt Polk himself,how many post does he have?And you mean to tell me if he was to log on to this forum, he would be critisized ?He would be welcomed for his knowledge and thanked many times over.Some members can contribute more than others,that is no revelation,but the ones that cant should not be critisized for it,thats all I have to say on that....gotta run,I think I smell a newb.:)

1 of my posts was informative... the other 4999 were just BS. ;)

I did not say that dude and you know it.

i know that... just my sense of humor coming out. you seem like a decent guy.. and reasonable from what i can tell. Surely there must be something you need answered audiowise anyways.

Start a thread on your favorite piece of gear, or favorite music.. it's a good way to get into a good conversation.

I'm out. have to get my ass to work. so i can buy more equipment. ha ha ha

Thanks man,the wife gave me the OK for a new set of speakers,have to get my ass to work too.Have a great day all.:)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb
    Thanks man,the wife gave me the OK for a new set of speakers,have to get my ass to work too.Have a great day all.:)

Nice.... are you looking for new fronts? What are your initial thoughts on what you're looking for? what the rest of your system consist of?

I'm asking because later this year or early next.. i'll be looking for new fronts myself.. i like towers.. I'd be interested in something like RTi10's or 12's. or maybe LSi 15's.

Quote Originally Posted by danger boy
    Nice.... are you looking for new fronts? What are your initial thoughts on what you're looking for? what the rest of your system consist of?

I'm asking because later this year or early next.. i'll be looking for new fronts myself.. i like towers.. I'd be interested in something like RTi10's or 12's. or maybe LSi 15's.
    Looking for Legacy focus.Sold off alot of my stuff and looking to start over.Had the SRT with the 3000p doing back up and FX1000 for sides,all with a Cinepro 3k6 and B&K AVR307.Be hard pressed to beat it in HT.Figure to start with the speaks and a amp.Any suggestions on a amp that can control the bottom end of the Focus ?Why the Focus? Good all around speak that can do it all.In the 5000.00 range ,there are more speaks than you can shake a stick at.The Focus IMHO are the best in that range.Go with the LSI-15

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Just out of curiosity - you were a member but silent for almost five years... and now you've done like 60 posts in three days.... why the change?
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Stronzo

Tony,

For the Focus 20/20, go for a Bryston 4B SST amplifier or better. Good match, that is..

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    Just out of curiosity - you were a member but silent for almost five years... and now you've done like 60 posts in three days.... why the change?

I've forgotten all the passwords to logins from 5 years ago. You must be a mental giant.:D

Welcome back into the fray, Tony and hang around and share.

Thread Information