Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Speaker Cable Suggestions?

I'm looking for a short run (4 ft.) of bi-wire speaker cables. I'm currently using a pair of 8 ft. AQ Bedrocks. They're great. I'm considering modding a single 8 ft. Bedrock cable and turning it into a pair of 4 ft. bi-wire cables. I sent an email to Audio Advisor to get a price for re-terminating my cable, but haven't received a response yet. Alternatively, I can sell the AQ Bedrocks to finance another pair of different cables. My budget ceiling is $150 new or used. I've checked audiogon and ebay, but no luck yet. Short runs are hard to find. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

2 sets of Kimber 4TC?

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Short runs are hard to find. Any ideas?
    Probably because most cable companies feel that 8 feet is the minimum length needed to obtain optimum preformance.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut
    Probably because most cable companies feel that 8 feet is the minimum length needed to obtain optimum preformance.
    Really? I can understand why cable companies would say that -- $$$$$

If that's true, maybe I should keep what I have and add a separate cable for the highs. I thought the conventional wisdom was the shorter, the better.

Well, it might be some of that too, but I think it has more to do with inductance, etc. I also think that the shorter, the better refers mainly to a situation such as 10 feet is better than 50 feet.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Most speaker companies will make a 4 foot run. Transparent does as I have Installed many amp right to speaker wires. Amp stands holding monoblocks right next to the speakers.

Try Transparent but your spendig limit is a bit low to go that route.Sell your bedrocks and add that money to your budget.

You can also try calling Audioquest if you like your wires now and see if they can sell you a pair or where you can buy what you want.

Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Buy an 8 ft non-bi-wire run, strip a section in the middle (don't cut it in half) and you will have a bare wire connection in the middle with two 4 foot ends. If you don't want a bare wire connection, invest in the type of connector you would want, i.e., banana, spade, or pin. Instant bi-wire.

-Lou

Huh?

Huh?
    Ditto.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

louhamilton, trying to get a mental picture of your bi-wire suggestion,could you be a little more specific,as I'm dumb and slow:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by george daniel
    louhamilton, trying to get a mental picture of your bi-wire suggestion,could you be a little more specific,as I'm dumb and slow:)
    I think this is what he is referring to...
    Attached Images  
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Ah, thanks Shack Daddy. That may work on some cables, but definitely not something one should do with the higher end types.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Ah, thanks Shack Daddy. That may work on some cables, but definitely not something one should do with the higher end types.
    Agreed. We have ghetto bi-amping...could this be a ghetto bi-wire?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by mantis
    Most speaker companies will make a 4 foot run.
    Right. My 4' double biwire AQ Dragons are factory cables.

EB: If I didn't have so much going on right now I'd make your biwires for you. I used to this as a side line/hobby and have done work like this many times before with AQ cables and still have everything on hand to do so in a professional looking manor. Only a month ago would been a different story...
    polkaudio speakers: SDA-SRS-2.3 (modified) SDA-2B SDA-CRS+ RT3000p CS400i LF-14 Monitor 7B

Quote Originally Posted by shack
    Agreed. We have ghetto bi-amping...could this be a ghetto bi-wire?
    And a new audio term is born. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by BobMcG
    EB: If I didn't have so much going on right now I'd make your biwires for you. I used to this as a side line/hobby and have done work like this many times before with AQ cables and still have everything on hand to do so in a professional looking manor. Only a month ago would been a different story...
    Damn, McG, why you gotta be such a tease? What's it gonna take for you to free up a few minutes to hook up some AQ bi-wires real quick for me? How much? PM me.
    Last edited by Early B.; 03-23-2006 at 11:56 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Damn, McG, why you gotta be such a tease? What's it gonna take for you to free up a few minutes to hook up some AQ bi-wires real quick for me? How much? PM me.
    You've been PM'ed.
    polkaudio speakers: SDA-SRS-2.3 (modified) SDA-2B SDA-CRS+ RT3000p CS400i LF-14 Monitor 7B

Thread Information