Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1

    Member Sales Rating: (11)

    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Spokane, Washington
    Posts
    15,835

    Default subwoofer set up

    Ok. I know how to set up the volume for a sub.. but is there some kind of CD/DVD of tones to properly set up your subwoofer for home theater?

    I might be having trouble with the crossover and phase issue. How can i tell where to set the phase exactly? I'm thinking if there was a way to set it up better than just by ear.

    Yes i have a Radio Shack SPL meter and use it all the time. like I said. the volume is correct. but not sure about the crossover and phase settings.

    tanks

    Oh yeah. I don't have a laptop to do one of those sweep thingys.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

  2. #2

    Member Sales Rating: (16)

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Six 'Burgh (Pittsburgh), PA
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danger boy
    How can i tell where to set the phase exactly? I'm thinking if there was a way to set it up better than just by ear.
    Danger Boy, I have been wondering the same thing. Is it possible that you could detect an increase in the dB that the SPL could detect? I was contemplating having someone stand beside the sub, I would sit in the listening position with the SPL and have the assistant move the phase setting slowly at various sub frequencies and do a plot of the dB response for a given frequency tone between 0 and 180 degrees. Anyone tried this?

    I have the Avia disk, but I found it just as easy to use the receive test tones.
    Carl

  3. #3

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10

    Default

    true

  4. #4

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    TEXAS
    Posts
    28

    Default

    I have heard many recommend "Finding Nemo" as a DVD to use when testing sub (sound). There is a scene where Nemo is in the aquarium, tapping glass. From what I have heard, that's a pretty good judge.
    Here's another link with some other info:
    http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#moviedemos

  5. #5

    Member Sales Rating: (1)

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Harrodsburg, KY
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2Learn
    I have heard many recommend "Finding Nemo" as a DVD to use when testing sub (sound). There is a scene where Nemo is in the aquarium, tapping glass. From what I have heard, that's a pretty good judge.
    Here's another link with some other info:
    http://www.svsound.com/questions-faqs.cfm#moviedemos
    I really need to rent Finding Nemo so I can try out my new SVS 20-39 PCi :D Is the story line decent or is it mainly a kids movie?
    H/K AVR 635 receiver
    Rotel RB985 (100 x 5)
    Panamax 5100
    RTi8 fronts (200 watts/channel from bi-amping)
    CSi5 center
    FXi5 rears
    SVS 20-39 PCi
    AQ Type 8 speaker wires (fronts/center)
    AQ Type 2 wire for FXi5's
    AQ Diamondbacks-Fronts & center powered by Rotel
    AQ I/C throughout

    Harmony 880

    My System Pics

  6. #6

    Member Sales Rating: (39)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    3,657

    Default

    It's no Incredibles, but it's watchable. I need to rent it too, I love my Omni s-12, but I'm not sure I have it optimally configured.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850

  7. #7

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Nemo is a pretty good movie if you don't watch it too much... it's just as good as the Incredibles to me, maybe even a bit better... movie-wise, but the bass in The Incredibles is a lot better for a sub work out.

  8. #8

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kulpmont, PA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzN_plyR
    Nemo is a pretty good movie if you don't watch it too much... it's just as good as the Incredibles to me, maybe even a bit better... movie-wise, but the bass in The Incredibles is a lot better for a sub work out.
    Except for "Darla" in Nemo. That'll separate the SVS's from the boys.;)
    bms
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    Panasonic DMP-BDT500P
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3
    Polk Rti4's
    Polk R15's
    SVS PC Plus 16-46
    SVS PB10-ISD
    Mitsubishi WD-65738

  9. #9

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bms
    Except for "Darla" in Nemo. That'll separate the SVS's from the boys.;)
    Well... over at AVS, this one guy was testing all kinds of subs for that scene, I forgot the link/name of the thread, but it's there... and guess what sub came out the best for the darla tapping...... JBL E250P did it flawlessly... lol

  10. #10

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Kulpmont, PA
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AzN_plyR
    Well... over at AVS, this one guy was testing all kinds of subs for that scene, I forgot the link/name of the thread, but it's there... and guess what sub came out the best for the darla tapping...... JBL E250P did it flawlessly... lol
    That's odd. I've never heard the JBL E250P, but I did consider that sub before I bought the pb10. All the reviews I read did not put the JBL in the same league as any SVS, including the entry-level pb10-isd. I do own a few JBL professional speaker products, so I know they have a great reputation in the pro audio field.

    All that I know is that with my sub, "Darla" shakes the living hell out of my living room!
    bms
    Onkyo TX-SR806
    Panasonic DMP-BDT500P
    Polk RTi8's
    Polk CSi3
    Polk Rti4's
    Polk R15's
    SVS PC Plus 16-46
    SVS PB10-ISD
    Mitsubishi WD-65738

  11. #11

    Member Sales Rating: (2)

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    2,904

    Default

    I found the best way was to do the sweep thingie but it might be difficult without a laptop. No chance you have a desktop in the same room?

    I enjoyed finding nemo more than the incredibles. The plot is directed to a younger audience but the humor in it makes up for it. There was a thread a while back that had a little competition of what levels people could hit using that darla tap with only a sub running.

  12. #12

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bms
    That's odd. I've never heard the JBL E250P, but I did consider that sub before I bought the pb10. All the reviews I read did not put the JBL in the same league as any SVS, including the entry-level pb10-isd. I do own a few JBL professional speaker products, so I know they have a great reputation in the pro audio field.

    All that I know is that with my sub, "Darla" shakes the living hell out of my living room!
    Well I should've been clearer, but I didn't mean to impl the E250P was in the same league as an SVS, I only meant that EVEN a JBL E250P can do that tapping scene flawlessly, which means it's not a very good test hehe :D

  13. #13

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Darla is a good test. A JBL E250 wouldn't compare to a PB10 in floor shaking impossible

  14. #14

    Member Sales Rating: (0)

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    116

    Default

    My brother has a JBL of some sort. The Darla scene sounds o.k. on his setup, but compared to my SVS 25-31, the scene sounds _entirely_ different. One of those things where you won't know what you're missing until you have heard it....or I should say felt it with that scene. The range is simply missing in most subs <$1k, even when they are well tuned and matched with a room.
    Harman Kardon AVR-435 Receiver
    Polk RTi6 (L/R) CSi3 (Center) RM3000 (SL/SR)
    SVS 25-31 PCi (Sub)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Similar Threads

  1. Confused on Subwoofer hookup
    By RobCron in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 06:35 PM
  2. PSW100 Hookup with Subwoofer jack on 7.1 receiver?
    By motzkopf in forum Vintage Speakers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-03-2005, 01:51 AM
  3. Strange Voices from RM6800 Subwoofer
    By Nittany in forum Troubleshooting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 03:26 PM
  4. RM20 Speaker Set - Subwoofer Connections ???
    By Denny in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-09-2005, 03:39 PM
  5. Help me with basic Bass Management?
    By TSAdmiral in forum Subwoofer Hookup & Bass Management
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2003, 12:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts