Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default need help with school.

does anybody know any sites to get around surf control so i can get to gaming web sites in school?

Member Sales Rating: (1)

don't worry about that crap and "STUDY"!
    ***WAREMTAE***

this is for when i stay after school when i have to wait for a ride home.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

An excellent time to brush up on your studies.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

i have gone 3 years so far and this is my last year in school, without studying for anything and i am doing fine.

So you have earned a full ride to med or law school and you just need to spend a little free time gambling away your spare change.
    polkaudio SRS (rdo194 x 8)
    Dodd ELP (separate power supply)
    JC 1 blocks ( strapped )
    Rega Apollo
    MIT (speaker cables) Outlaw (ICs)

polkaudio SDA2(rdo194x4) (front) polkaudio CRS (rdo194x4)(rear) polkaudio 400i (center)
    B&K 505
    Samsung LCD
    VIP 622
    HSU STF-2

Quote Originally Posted by Knappy
    i have gone 3 years so far and this is my last year in school, without studying for anything and i am doing fine.

Just an FYI, the pronoun "I" always gets the cap treatment.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I put "Burger Time" on my cell phone, helps pass time when needed.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    Just an FYI, the pronoun "I" always gets the cap treatment.
    Just an FYI - it's AN, not AND

:D :D

Hah - you bastard - got it fixed before I could correct you...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

You may think that you're doing fine now, but wait until you're in the real world.
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Good for you. I've always prided myself on how little I studied in high school. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by read-alot
    So you have earned a full ride to med or law school and you just need to spend a little free time gambling away your spare change.
    no I haven't but that has nothing to do with this thread, I just want to know some web sites to get around Surf Control.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

You do know this is an audio forum right? Not that someone here won't be able to help - just a little strange to see this as someone's first post...
    Main HT
    Magnepan 1.6QR fronts, POlk R15 surrounds, Pioneer SC-25, Parasound Halo A23, Oppo BDP-105, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Sony PS3, Apple TV

Bedroom System
    Polk Blackstone TL3, Polk PSWi225 Wireless Sub, HK 3490 Integrated, Oppo BDP-103, Sharp Aquos 32" TV, Apple TV

Office Rig
    27" iMac w/Amarra, AudioQuest Dragonfly 1.2, Focal XS Book, Schiit Valhalla, Cypher Labs Theorem 720, Philips Fidelio X1, Sennheiser HD600, HiFiMan HE-500, B&W P7, LG 47LM7600, Sony PS3, Apple TV

yes I know this is an audio forum, but this is what I need help with right now, because there is nothing wrong with my sound system.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Many moons ago (back in 99'), I used to back-door out of MS Excel to bypass surf controls, firewalls, and all that gibberish. It's literally been that long since I had any concern over hardware and software so I am unable to really assist you.

I also wanted to say, ignore most of these folks. There is nothing in your high-school books (hell,even college half of the time) that will teach you about the 'real world'. Good on you so far, and keep truckin' along. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question instead of giving you crap.

Member Sales Rating: (58)

www.thehun.net

Excellent gaming website, school friendly as well.....

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

Quote Originally Posted by Zero
    Many moons ago (back in 99'), I used to back-door out of MS Excel to bypass surf controls, firewalls, and all that gibberish. It's literally been that long since I had any concern over hardware and software so I am unable to really assist you.

I also wanted to say, ignore most of these folks. There is nothing in your high-school books (hell,even college half of the time) that will teach you about the 'real world'. Good on you so far, and keep truckin' along. Hopefully someone will be able to answer your question instead of giving you crap.
    Actually, there is very little job-specific knowledge in most post grad programs (excepting some applied science and technical training programs either). However, you miss the point. You are doing a couple of things. One, a foundation in broad areas is always a good thing. Especially things like history. Those that don't know it are doomed to repeat it. Also, take something like discrimination. If you know about things like the holocaust, Brown v. Board of education....you can see WHERE things come from and what happens when things go to an extreme. If you learned about, say, Plessy v. Ferguson you'd know where legalized segregation and institutional racism really planted roots. Cause/effect...analytical thinking, that whole thing? Yup, **** like that ain't no good in the real world.

Another is socialization. This is one of my MAIN gripes w/ homeschooling. Schools teach you about group dynamics and social skills. You develop coping skills and a plethora (some good, some bad) of other things about integrating yourself in a social structure.

Another thing that a post grad degree gives you is a piece of paper that says you have the onions and dedication to devote a substantial effort in pursuit of a goal.

Yup, you don't learn **** in school. Again, Sean, you couldn't be farther off base. Of course, you probably don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about, sport.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by TroyD
    Another is socialization. This is one of my MAIN gripes w/ homeschooling. Schools teach you about group dynamics and social skills. You develop coping skills and a plethora (some good, some bad) of other things about integrating yourself in a social structure.
    Your main gripes with Homeschooling? If I can ask without sounding like I'm trying to pick a fight, what personal experience have you had with home schoolers? A little fact for this comment would be appreciated, 'cause I am curious how you got this point of view...

Thanks!
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D :D :D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier
    Samsung 3600 BluRay Player

Life is Good!

I know several people that homeschool. Some do an outstanding job. Some don't. My gripe, not gripe but observation is that a good number of the children that I know who are homeschooled are at huge disadvantage when it comes to social skills. They don't interact well with other children, tend to be isolated and so forth.

I'm not saying homeschooling is bad. I am saying there are pitfalls and the social aspect is one of them.
    BDT
    Last edited by TroyD; 05-02-2006 at 02:24 PM.

I know several people that homeschool. Some do an outstanding job. Some don't. My gripe, not gripe but observation is that a good number of the children that I know who are homeschooled are at huge disadvantage when put it comes to social skills. They don't interact well with other children, tend to be isolated and so forth.

I'm not saying homeschooling is bad. I am saying there are pitfalls and the social aspect is one of them.
    BDT
    Fair enough. I know that I was home schooled, GASP, but my mom took the route of staying at home full time and actually giving us a Superior education. We took SAT's every year in school, and when I took the ACT I scored a 31. If the parents take the time, I believe you can get a better education than alot of public schools.

Regarding the socialization problem, I agree it can get outta hand. Here in the Midwest, there is a group called, Midwest Parent Educators or something like that, and over 700 families are involved with it. I for one, was made to talk and communicated with ALL ages of people, including adults, not just those that were in my CLASS as a lot of Public school age kids do. Name me a public school child who can carry on a decent conversation with an Adult? It's harder these days than ever.

I had more friends than I believe I would have ever known, because of Homeschooling. Again, It can be true that some parents aren't cut out for it, or are too lazy and their kids are stupid. :D But, to group all home schoolers into this category is ridiculous.

My .02 of personal experience. Will I home school my kids? I haven't a clue. I know I am not a good teacher, but we'll see. Besides, if the parents are reinforcing what is learned during the day anyways, it's all wasted knowledge.

Oh ya, I played Soccer my entire years in JH and High School... so the sports thingy isn't a valid argument either. They even had a Football team, but my mom wouldn't let me try out... afraid I'd break my neck :D
    Last edited by MrNightly; 05-02-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

Life is Good!

Again, I'm not saying homeschooling is a bad idea. I am saying that many of the people that I know tend to think that by eliminating certain aspects of public education that they will protect thier children from the evils of society. I think that's a bad idea.

The quality of academics is usually better with homeschoolers, IMO.

BDT

Again, I'm not saying homeschooling is a bad idea. I am saying that many of the people that I know tend to think that by eliminating certain aspects of public education that they will protect thier children from the evils of society. I think that's a bad idea.

The quality of academics is usually better with homeschoolers, IMO.

BDT
    This is true. Many do seek to shelter their kids, and that is just stupid.

Thanks for clarifying :)
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    Denon 3805

Life is Good!

Stronzo

I didn't have to try for this one.. it just came right to me. Fan-tastic!

Actually, there is very little job-specific knowledge in most post grad programs (excepting some applied science and technical training programs either). However, you miss the point.
    Apparently you missed the part where Knappy claimed to make the grade just fine with his own routine. No one can say for certain what the real deal is, but lets just give the benefit of a doubt here that this is true. I know of many who are naturally gifted in such structured environments and apply zero effort to retain information and pass all tests. Clearly someone like this will not see as much benefit from extra study time, as someone like myself or yourself. Looks like you missed THAT point.

Also, take something like discrimination. If you know about things like the holocaust, Brown v. Board of education
    Discrimination goes beyond the class-room. I am not sure about how things were in your day Troy, but in mine, Plessy vs. Ferguson and Brown vs. Board of Education got roughly a days coverage. These courses are on average, introduced to students at around 16-18 years of age. By then, they should already have a good concept of racism and where they stand on the matter. Once again - books provide you with a record of events leading up to the way things are. Thats excellent. However, morals and viewpoints are something that go beyond the books.

Cause/effect...analytical thinking, that whole thing? Yup, **** like that ain't no good in the real world.
    You facetious armidillo! :p

[qupte]Another is socialization. This is one of my MAIN gripes w/ homeschooling. Schools teach you about group dynamics and social skills. You develop coping skills and a plethora (some good, some bad) of other things about integrating yourself in a social structure.[/quote]

*Editing this one out, considering I saw your response above that was posted before I submitted this response. Scary as this may sound, we may actually agree on something. I'm not sure yet, let me double check...*

Another thing that a post grad degree gives you is a piece of paper that says you have the onions and dedication to devote a substantial effort in pursuit of a goal.
    You got it. Its a piece of paper that essentially says "I put in my time, I put in my money (for college), and paid my due's". Sure, you had to read the books and do the work. We all take something from it, little as that may be. This statement completely dismisses the very common fact that it does not mean someone who earned this paper actually *learned* a thing. They just did what they had to do to get it. For most, that means remembering something just long enough for a test.

Again, Sean, you couldn't be farther off base. Of course, you probably don't have the foggiest idea what I'm talking about, sport.
    You never really cease of playing this game do you Troy? Then again, you probably don't have the foggiest idea of what Im talking about, do ya?
    Last edited by Zero; 05-02-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    www.thehun.net

Excellent gaming website, school friendly as well.....

Bahahaha, if that is what I remember it as, you are a good man Doro. Bahahaha.

My friend visits that site 3 or 4 times a day if you know what I mean ;)

Hopefully I'm not way off base here, havent see that in a long time and can't check because I like my job....

Ok, Sean...here we go.

I didn't address his work ethic in school, did I? If you can make the grade, I could care less how you do it. If you want to spend your day playing games and do your homework on the bus, that's cool. I never lugged a book home and managed to graduate top ten. However, that hurt me when I got to college because I didn't have the self-discipline to study. I came around but it was an adjustment.
    Discrimination goes beyond the class-room. I am not sure about how things were in your day Troy, but in mine, Plessy vs. Ferguson and Brown vs. Board of Education got roughly a days coverage. These courses are on average, introduced to students at around 16-18 years of age. By then, they should already have a good concept of racism and where they stand on the matter. Once again - books provide you with a record of events leading up to the way things are. Thats excellent. However, morals and viewpoints are something that go beyond the books.
    I'm not disagreeing with you but I'm using that for an example. Nor am I suggesting that there aren't things learned outside the classroom. I AM suggesting that academics in and of themselves teach far more than what's on the printed page. If you don't see that, we don't agree on the principles of education.

You got it. Its a piece of paper that essentially says "I put in my time, I put in my money (for college), and paid my due's". Sure, you had to read the books and do the work. We all take something from it, little as that may be. This statement completely dismisses the very common fact that it does not mean someone who earned this paper actually *learned* a thing. They just did what they had to do to get it. For most, that means remembering something just long enough for a test.
    Isn't that a small slice of real life though? A lesson in and of itself. You learn some discipline. You learn how to deal with success and failure and how to achieve either etc etc and so on.

Now, I'm not saying that an education is *everything* or that you can't learn these lessons elsewhere. I am saying that it's important to learn these lessons somewhere. I'm also saying that learning fundamentals about things like math, science and history are important less for the facts themselves but learning things like problem solving, cause/effect etc and so forth.

Potential means diddly-squat without achievement sport.

BDT

Quote Originally Posted by Zero

You never really cease of playing this game do you Troy? Then again, you probably don't have the foggiest idea of what Im talking about, do ya?
    It's not a game to me, Sean. You are a mid-20's, intelligent kid with a world of potential. Got plenty of brains but maybe had you learned some of the things that I'm talking about at an earlier age you wouldn't have pissed away your late teens/early twenties in a self described depression/funk working for minimum wage all the while convince nobody was as intelligent as you. MYSTIFIED why less cerebral individuals passed you by up the chain. You think I don't have a clue about you, and you are correct. I was lucky in that someone put a foot in my ass a couple decades ago. Someone told me that the world don't give a rat's behind about what you could POSSIBLY do, only what you DO.

If you think it's ok to pollute others with that sort of drivel, fine. I do not.

Look, Sean, finally...I don't want this to be a eff you/I don't like you thing. You have your point of view, I have mine. Let's leave it at that.

BDT
    Last edited by TroyD; 05-02-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Someone told me that the world don't give a rat's behind about what you could POSSIBLY do, only what you DO.
    Actually, 95% of the world could care less about you, 4.99% are probably pulling against you, and the .01% that care are your friends and family.

Remember who to take care of....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Just remember the older you get the less you know, its just hard to remember though.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Stronzo

Troy,

I never lugged a book home and managed to graduate top ten. However, that hurt me when I got to college because I didn't have the self-discipline to study. I came around but it was an adjustment.
    This comment right here is buried in my original response. Usually an adjustment will have to be made and lessons will be learned as you move up to the next platform of responsibility. It is great that someone has the ability to earn paper without much applied effort, be it public/private schooling, college, trade school or otherwise. With most people, it will catch up with you in the form of “routine”. That’s a big lesson, and one that school-books will not be able to teach you.

I AM suggesting that academics in and of themselves teach far more than what's on the printed page. If you don't see that, we don't agree on the principles of education
    I will say this much Troy; I believe it all boils down to the specific subject and lesson being taught and the mind on the receiving end. I also believe that strong beneficial ‘education’ ends somewhere during middle-school, and turns itself into (mostly) repetitive gibberish. I think more kids would benefit from learning how to be responsible with their money (opening accounts, balancing accounts, learning about mortgages, interest rates, etc) than say, dissecting a frog. But then again, that’s another subject entirely…

Isn't that a small slice of real life though? A lesson in and of itself. You learn some discipline. You learn how to deal with success and failure and how to achieve either etc etc and so on.

Now, I'm not saying that an education is *everything* or that you can't learn these lessons elsewhere. I am saying that it's important to learn these lessons somewhere.
    I got nothing here Troy. That’s mostly because I agree. Which again is part of my original point. There are many lessons out there and typically the most important of which cannot be found in mandatory text-books. This is not to imply that nothing can be gained, but more to stress that while books can give insights into the whys/hows and causes and effects, the experience is the significant lesson learned. Someone can spend all day reading history books and philosophical quotations but it wont keep them from making stupid mistakes like spitting towards the wind.

Back to the point at hand… If someone decides they want to waste their free time, than let them suffer whatever consequence come what may. The kid wants to play games, not build a meth lab. People feel obligated to shove advice down another persons throat when its not wanted or even warranted. In cases like these, leave them alone to learn those lessons for themselves.

Sean,

My point is and has been that knowledge (of the academic variety) and practical experience compliment each other. They are not mutually exclusive concepts as I think you implied.

BDT

Thread Information