Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 264 of 286 FirstFirst ... 164 214 254 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 274 ... LastLast
Results 7,891 to 7,920 of 8554

Member Sales Rating: (26)

In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    ^ More details por favor...
    It's a Burr Brown PCM1792 DAC board that I got from Fongolio, who I think originally got it from Fred (FTGV); a big thanks to Fred for helping me with the big and little details of the board in all his wisdom! The board is a manufacturer evaluation model, so it has too many options and switches/jumpers that you can put in the wrong position, but I was able to dial it in by going line by line through the manual. It's a 24bit/192kHz dual differential device using some high quality parts such as ELNA Cerifine electrolytic decoupling caps and some film caps in the low pass filter section.The input receiver chip is the Crystal CS8414, and it uses socked NE5534 opamps to convert the current to voltage off the DAC chip.

Not wanting to screw my main system up, I tested the board using a 3-way adjustable power supply (the board requires direct current of +5V, +15V, -15V), the digital output from my Squeezebox Touch, and a pair of powered PC speakers. When I first turned on the power supply, I got zero out of the board. After a few tweaks and checks, I got a very distorted signal, which resolved after a few more adjustments. I'll now be testing the board on my SRS 2s through the new Musical Fidelity A5 (once it arrives), and see how it sounds. If I like what I hear, I'll get a dedicated power supply for it and build it into a chassis.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thanks Jake!

You DIY fellas always make me jealous. I wish I had skills (and time to learn them) to do some of the builds I see you fella's do.
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Main HT: APC H15 | Pio 51FD | Uverse DVR | Xbox 360 | Squeezebox Classic | Integra DTR 5.9 | Carver AV-705x & M1.0t MKII Opt002 | LSi 15 | LSiC | LSi F/x | Kimber Hero IC & 8VS SC

Office Rig: Win 7 -> DacMagic w/ Pangea PSU | Pro-ject Debut III | Sunfire TGP-II | Parasound HCA-750ii | Polk RTA 11TL | Cables TBA

Bedroom: Uverse DVR | Roku 2 | Samsung LCD | SurroundBar 2000

Sales Rating
    Gear

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Hey Tom,

What the hellz is wrong with you? Are you Horn horny or something? :D

I don't know if that was posted before but I found it on Agon many years ago when I was more active in CP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Acapella1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	91723Click image for larger version

Name:	Acapella2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	91724Click image for larger version

Name:	Acapella3.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	91725
    Trying out Different Audio Cables is a Religious Affair. You don't discuss it with anyone.

Naw, I'm actually not that big of a fan of horns anymore unless they are intended for large venues or areas. Just a fan of different types of speaker designs and I know that there are some horn fans that cruise the forum from time to time. At the moment, my fantasy speaker would be the Wilson Alexia but this may not hold true after my massive crossover and speaker upgrades are completed. Here's a "non" horn picture from Constellation Audio for your enjoyment.....

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

"The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction". - Kenneth Swauger

Audiophile

Quote Originally Posted by EndersShadow View Post
    You DIY fellas always make me jealous.
    I'm sure that doesn't include me, but I can BS my way through a circuit pretty well. :)

Member Sales Rating: (31)

Quote Originally Posted by treitz3 View Post
    Naw, I'm actually not that big of a fan of horns anymore unless they are intended for large venues or areas.
    Just like any other kind of driver, not all horns are created equal. Some...err...many are awful, some are good, and some are excellent. IMO, the compression driver or tweeter used is less important than the horn profile itself. You can take an ok driver in and excellent horn and it can sound good. But a great driver in an awful horn will still sound awful.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Audiophile

Name:  NNu3NXKo4kKLPnWUJRiWyQ2.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  59.9 KB

Check this out. These are two of the most fascinating photos I do believe I have seen from space in a long time. These were taken from the Cassini-Huygens spacecraft and what you are looking at is Saturn eclipsing the sun.

Audiophile

Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by zingo View Post
    Fantastic
    +1 thanks.

No problem. I thought some of you would find that pretty cool. I was gonna type a little bit more information about these photos because apparently you can see Mars, Venus, Earth and many, if not all of Saturn's moon. Now I have a high-rez monitor and I looked and looked and looked but I'll be damned if I could only see two obvious dots on both of them. Anything else became questionable. So today I did a little bit more searching and came across a high resolution jpeg that includes annotation as to where all of these mysterious planets and moons were within this picture.

If you are interested, click onto the link below and scroll down to figure three. Click onto figure 3 and expand to see things a little bit better. At this point, you can clearly see Mars, Venus, Earth and a plethora of other stars, rings and moons that aren't so visible on the two photos above. Be sure to expand in for a better look.

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/pia17172

You can use that as a reference guide to the high rez .jpeg or .tif found to the lower right of the first picture on the link. The expanded .jpeg is fine but if you are really interested and have a minute or two, the .tif will provide the best picture and user options. For those who might be too lazy to take a peak at the higher-rez pictures but are still interested in more commentary about these photos, simply click on the link and enjoy the read.

Tom

Default New toy, carbon fiber guitar for the car, beach, home, or bar

It's a bad a$$ guitar, made of carbon fiber/glass. Impervious to climate conditions, water, humidity, even drunken friends mad wives and drooling dogs. And..it sounds as nice if not better than my really nice Takamine guitar. Now I can take this thing on road trips or even fly and not worry about it being banged around. I can even take it on the boat for sunset or star gazing cruises.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131113_094302.jpg‎
Views:	85
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	91781   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131113_094256.jpg‎
Views:	78
Size:	533.4 KB
ID:	91782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20131113_093848.jpg‎
Views:	78
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	91783  

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

Audiophile

That is very sexy, and carbon fiber is very resonant so it should sound great.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Can you tell me where you got the CC guitar of site?

Thanks

Peter

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche

Turtle races?
    Home Theater
    Onkyo PR-SC5508 Sharp LC-70LE847U
    Emotiva XPA-5 Emotiva XPA-2 Emotiva UPA-2
    Front RTi-A9 Wide RTi-A7 Center CSi-A6 Surround FXi-A6 Rear RTi-A3 Sub 2x PSW505
    Sony BDP-S790 Dishnetwork Hopper/Joey Logitech Harmony One Apple TV
    Two Channel
    Oppo 105D BAT VK-500 w/BatPack SDA SRS 2.3 Dreadnought Squeezebox Touch Apple TV

Member Sales Rating: (1)

That scwewy wabbit is crappin' his shorts now.

Is that turtle racing towards a Coconut Audio Power Cable ?

Member Sales Rating: (6)

I like the way he skillfully negotiates around the stick and the rock. LOL

Source: Squeezebox Touch/CIA Power Supply
    DAC: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Linestage: Placette RVC Passive
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Subwoofer: SVS PB12-NSD

Quote Originally Posted by steveinaz View Post
    I like the way he skillfully negotiates around the stick and the rock. LOL
    Must be a female turtle.

What are those? Impressive looking setup.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills, polyswitches removed, Lg Solen inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR binding posts, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheets (3" strips) installed on back wall behind MW's & Tweeters, interior of cabinets sealed, AI-1 interface with 1000VA transformer

Coltrane Supreme 2's.

Tom

I can't see that room being good for acoustics.

The guitar is actually beautifully resonant. It is a Rainsong Studio model guitar. I was going to get a smaller travel guitar but went with this one instead. I like the no nonsense stripped down look without any paint or gloss. Just Carbon Fiber, and it sounds much nicer than it even looks. I was shocked actually at how well it sounds.

Just google Rainsong and you will find quite a bit. There is also Emerald Guitar, CA or Carbon Acoustics guitars, and also Blackbird as the main brands in this fairly new market. In my research I found that every working musician I spoke with had very high regards for them and most of them have a carbon guitar in their collection. Each guitar sounds different, but this one has overtaken my Takamine at home. I can jam on the couch, and when getting a beer I just lay it down next to me without worry, as opposed to carefully stowing my nice takamine each and everytime I moved.

I love everyone's pictures of the extremely nice speaker setups, how did you guys get these pictures? Amazing.

Polk Audio SDA CRS+ (4.1TL by Trey, Larry's Rings)-
    SDA SRS2-Parasound HCA1500ax2/1000
    Yamaha xa1000-Celestion SL6S presence,- sl9 surround back
    NHTsuper1's surround
    Nad2700-sub, AdcomGFA-555 -Magnepan SMG
    Parasound 1500pre- Sofia "Baby" tube amp - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
    Marantz 2230/B&Kst140- outdoor B&W/Bose/Parasound/KefC75/c40/Polksub
    Technics 1200mk2
    Gamertag: IslandBerserker
    I am but a infinitesimally small point meeting the line of infinity in the SDA universe

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Name:  st_70.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  46.2 KB
    Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say

BlueMDPicker, very nice tubes, are they yours? How do they sound?

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducati Guy View Post
    BlueMDPicker, very nice tubes, are they yours? How do they sound?
    Thank you kindly. Yes, it's my Dynaco ST-70 that I went completely through several years ago. Rebuilt it on an exact repro chassis, added a cap board underside and kept the stacked can for appearance. Built a bridge rectifier to replace the selenium diode originally used. All original transformers and chokes. I use it to drive my RTA-8's or SDA-2B's with source being either Akai reel-to-reel or Nakamichi cassette player. Sweet sounding amplification, perhaps a bit fat in the mid's (aren't we all at this age?), well articulated bass, and soft roll-off on the highs.
    Be-Bop-A-Lula, Baby What I Say

Thread Information