Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

JKF has some good advice above. I would also add my experience with the larger PSW12, which also has port noise, that one consider running the sub perpendicular to the F/C/R speakers. At right angles and with the volume at 12 o'clock or less the port is virtually unnoticeable. There is something about facing the sub directly at you with the grill on it and running it at moderate to loud volumes that just invites turbulence into your room! This could probably be "corrected" by some modification of the PORT that Polk does not seem to want to bother with? I understand that as this sub is not a money maker. It can be regularly found for 89.95 or less. The margins are practically non-existent and a manufacturing tweak might make the margins even smaller?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

Member Sales Rating: (0)

JFK and cnh, thanks for your input. The reason I asked was I seem to recall someone suggesting somewhere that you turn the crossover to max, but perhaps that was when hooking it up to an AVR that allows you to EQ or fine tune the sub output.

On my psw10, I had a port noise as well until I removed the front cover. I don't know if that will work on the 12, but I also don't know if blowin a hole through the cover (in front of port only) will solve it either, but for me, removing the cover, the noise is gone.
    HT set up / Living Room
    Sony STR-DN2010
    Main - polkaudio Monitor 60's
    Center - polkaudio CS2
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    Surrounds - polkaudio Monitor 40's
    Audio / Dining room / Outdoors
    Pioneer VSX 406 - polkaudio R150's / polk
    audio Atrium 5
    Back Office / Guitar Jam Room
    Sony STR-K665P 5.1 setup

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Descending toward the moon in the CLEM (Chinese Lunar Excursion Module), looking for Chang'e

I'm not sure merely removing the cover will do much for the PSW12 and I may have tried that in the past? The problem is with the port itself, some mod to it would work much better. It's a shame because the 12 matches up pretty well with the newer PSW125. In fact, some of the problem is caused by the 12 not rolling off as "fast" as the 125 does. See the specs. The 125 rolls off by 32hz, the 12 by 26hz. That makes the 12 a little sloppier down there.

The 10 is also sloppy as you get to its lower limits. Again, something a port FIX would clean up pretty easily?

cnh
    Onkyo TX-SR 805 System #1 HT AVR
    Office Two Channel: LSi-7s (Nakamichi CA-5, NAD 214, Pioneer BDP51fd)
    Vintage Polks: Polk Monitor 5As, Monitor 7Bs [HK 730], Monitor 10As [Marantz 2265], SDA-2Bs [Jolida JD-303, Jolida MV-MK4]
    Headphones: HD600, Q701, ATH-M50s etc. Bravo Audio Ocean amp., Onkyo P-304, Adcom GFA-555, Technics Direct Drive TT

yeah, who knows on the 10's port, if that would fix, but, agreed it is relevant and most likely. I love all the polks I have except the sub. the amp petered out what I deemed too soon, luckily polk took care of me, but would want to jump to a class D amp for sure if'n they had one in a sub. Also, due to dogs, would want a down fired model that would adjust up and down on its own, or programmed or remote control, although the 505 caught my eye, price and size wise....the psw10, to me is an entry level sub that just shouldn't be, because even newer audiophile wannabe's just should spend more to get more, because what you get when you do get it, you just wished you'd spent more and got more, or at least in my case....I am a blaster and love it loud, but, never bought a sub before, so, I went cheap...The wife hates subs, I love em, call it the Sicilian in me, ha. Next time I am getting a replacement home theatre / stereo, I will get a sub or two a notch or few up....But for the more mellow people, that just want a sub for a bit more depth, the psw10 will fit the bill....The blasters or jammers, need to spend more to get more....I notice a little mudiness in mine time to time, but with cover off, that flutter or port noise I hear, with my ears, cover off erases it for me....
    HT set up / Living Room
    Sony STR-DN2010
    Center - polkaudio CS2
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    audio Atrium 5
    Sony STR-K665P 5.1 setup

I though of, but haven't done it yet to my psw10, blowin a hole just above the amp, either in the back or in the top, and also drillin some holes in the face and put peg legs in place and make it downward firing on my own, that would affect port noise where I would try the cover on and upright for a bit, but hole in top was initially thought of for heat removal from the amp so it doesn't run as hot and maybe last a bit longer, but it may remove the port noise too....It could also negatively affect it, so I haven't done it as yet....But probably will by the first of the year, do both...
    HT set up / Living Room
    Sony STR-DN2010
    Center - polkaudio CS2
    Sub - polkaudio PSW10
    audio Atrium 5
    Sony STR-K665P 5.1 setup

Thread Information