Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
    Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Default Would you recommend Polk?

I assume all of us here have owned a Polk product at one point or another, and I am also willing to assume they were somewhat impressed at the time...to end up here.

So now I ask all of you Polk Board surfers a question: Would you recommend the Polk brand to someone. Be it in the range of someone who is willing to lay down 1k or 6k on a system. What would you have to say about Polks?

To answer that question for myself-
    I believe if you are willing to lay down some cash, yet not wanting to spend your years worth of mortage on audio- Then Polk would be for you. You get a pretty darn good bang for your buck. They seem to carry much more punch and "life" to them than other mass-marketed and produced speakers you see in typical retail stores: ie: Infinity, JBL, BOSE, Sony, etc..

For the higher-end Polks, they will make a modestly budgeted Audiophile happy.... and make someone who only has some degree of interest in audio...drool..

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Ok I will give this a shot!!
    Yes I would reccomend Polk speaker to others if they like the way they sound.Speaker's are very personal.If someone was going to just buy what you say,I can't see many people not being happy with the Polk lines.They do make a nice product for the money you have to spend.
    The LSI line has yeat to prove themselvesto me.I have heard them go and with the poor demo's I have had I can't answer that honestly.The Dynaudio Audience line as a compare smokes what I heard so far out of the LSI line.But thats unfair as I heard them in Poor listening rooms.
    So who knows about them.
    Last my final words on Polks..............
    Its a good sound trying company.They offer alot.They listen to there customers and even have a place where they can all go and talk about there a/v gear.They have been making quality speakers for a long time,and will for many years to come.Customer service is excellent,better then most other companies.
    I wish them well with the LSI line,I hope I can get a really fair listen before my theater is done,I wouldn't mind owning Polks again.
    Really my only bitch with polk over the last few years(from 1996 when they left out of Bryn Mawr Stereo And Video Now called Tweeter)is the fact everywhere they sell polks that I can go listen,have some of the worst equipment and sound rooms.I'm not looking for a pissing match on that subject,just answering the post question.Just my take on polk over the years and years I have been a fan(still have hope inside)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

In my opinion, for the money the speakers are the best deal I have run across. When I was putting my system together I listened too and read about different brands and concluded that Polk was the way to go. During my 'research' I found Bose to be way over-rated. Polk is a good mid range company. My 2 cents.
    Onkyo 696 receiver, Panasonic DVD RV31U,Polk RM6600 w/ 350 sub (rti28's 2nd zone), JVC Dual tape deck, MMF-2.1 Turntable, JVC 5010 CD R. ((its simple, its cheap, it works))

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

I would add this....build quality in it's class (and even above) is second to none. The customer service, I will go out on a limb and say is second to none (not just audio)

As far as the sound, if you fault them it's usually a sin of omission rather of comission. Meaning, what they do, they do well rather than trying to do many things poorly.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Member Sales Rating: (40)

Default Mantis, you would recommend them?

I looked back, and found a post you made on 12-18-01, quote as follows:

"I'm growing tired of my RT line rt1000p's, cs400i, rt35i's, fx500, psw450.Its a nice system for not alot of money,It works ok for 7.1,but they just lack good detail,depth,clean and cear midrange,crystal high's and solid lows.The sub is a good peice for the money but it stops there.I don't like the psw650 as it is hard to place,It doesn't hit that well"

So they lack detail, depth, clean and clear midrange, crytsal highs and solid lows. So basically, they pretty much suck? Am I reading this right?

I don't understand because later in the same post you say the RT line "smokes" everything out by Boston Acoustics. I take it Bostons must be borderline un-bearable, considering how bad you felt the Polks were.

I don't know, at least for me, doesn't seem like a glowing recommendation...... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ

Member Sales Rating: (17)

In the past two months I recommended the RT line twice to one non-audiophile type and one musician getting ready to put together their first systems. I'll take the heat for it too if they don't like the sound. I did suggest they listen to it first. Oh yea, and once at Christmas time but that person bought the cute little Boseo speakers.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Would you recommend Polk?
    Lets see here. You have an excellent quality speaker, with excellent CS all at affordable pricing...No effing way, I want them all to myself.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

having 9 polks in the HT, the recommendation speaks for itself ...:D
    ...the fOrce is strong with this one.

Russ, how dare you question Mantis!!

Stronzo

Perhaps one of the things I enjoy most about the Polks I own is their flexibility. Jack of all trades but really master of none, which is what I like because of having such a diverse taste in music.

I can hear all the finely tuned instruments in the Nutcracker, the thrump and plucking of the strings as Eric Claptons voice comes alive on his un-plugged CD. It plays Linkin Park accurately and loud, and wallops you with the Eminem Show...

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Russman,
    Yes I would.They may not be for me anymore but that doesn't mean nobody else could or I can't recommend them to others.Read my post again and you will see some clear points I make.I think if people like them, they can't go wrong.There great speakers for the money, no douts there!!
    In there class they shine like a new car, but outside of that they don't.I personally out grew them and seek high quality sounding speakers.
    Everyone who has heard my current system leaves in awe,I tolerate it for now, but there days are numbered.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

If someone doesn't like Klipsch..The yes LOL

I think Polk audio is very good. I do feel they are better for HT then music. (well, for my music, and pretty much all young persons music) I do own some very small Polk audio SAT drivers.Not sure the number. They are better then the bose cubes! (and smaller)

I have told people to liston to Polk. I tell them what else there is for sale where I live. I try to steer away from crap like Infinity, bose, and Cerwin-Vega!.

They are very good speakers, and although they sound like speakers, they sound like good speakers.

I don't know. No local dealers will sell Polk and the LSi's to me are still a myth until I know how and where to audition them. If I had the cash laying around and still had to special order something at that price pt. it would be down to LSi's I haven't heard, and Vandersteen 3a's I've wanted for a while.

speakers yes, but not the polk subwoofers thats for sure.

Polk-a-dweeb

I'm not going to recommend squat until I get my free Polk Audio Sign Damnit!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D

Hey mlware do you have a Great Indoors in your area. The one in my area has them and they gurantee their prices to be as good as any one in town......
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube

P.S. For the money Polk is the flattest, non colored speaker I have heard for the cash. As stated before they are definately a better HT speaker, but they are a logical step up from the Best Buy set up you had in collage. But again speakers are very very subjective. But even the guys that have higher dollar setups that come over say that the HT setup rocks.......
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center