Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Default How would you compare LSi-9 vs Monitor 5?

Just curious since I've never had a chance to hear the LSi-9.

How would the sound compare to my vintage Monitor 5 w/Peerless?

I guess nobody cares to share any opinions on this?

Member Sales Rating: (5)

missed the thread. which is funny since I have owned both. My mon 5 had the sl2000, not the peerless tweets. I ddid own RTA 12's with peerless tweets though

I would definitly giv ethe edge to the LSi9 (when properly powerred).
    the Mon 5 is definitly a little light in the bass dept. not terribly light, to where I woudl call it a big flaw. but its light when you compare it to the 9. the 9 has some of the best low freq performance of any bookshelf I have laid ears on.

in terms of the tweets. the peerless and the vifa are both on the laid back side, with the Vifa being a little bit more mellow, yet retaining good clarity and detail. I give the edge to the vifa, but still have a warm place in my heart for the peerless, which I would take in a heartbeat over the sl2000.

overall though, a direct comparison is like apples and oranges. 2 completly different speakers. the mon 5's I owned are definitly brighter and more forward, but again, I had the sl2000. the LSi9 just has a better smoother sound from top to bottom than the mon 5 in my opinion. not the the mon 5 is a slouch, its a great bookshelf in its own right
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (7)

lookin' for fava beans and a nice chianti

LSi9 allday allabout

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut

Thanks guys.
    I knew it was an apple/orange comparo from the start. Ohskigod, it was the bass that really had me wondering. I figured the VIFA would be somewhat better than the Peerless. I also figured the mids would be considerably better on the LSi9. For what I paid for my 5s, the LSi9 would be about 4 times as expensive (If I picked up Mulveling's, which are a heck of a deal too).

How do ya'll think my Onkyo A-809 would power a pair of LSi9? (see specs below)
    Last edited by billbillw; 09-08-2006 at 01:59 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

not to cast dispersions upon the onk (I'm a big Onk fan), but they wont drive the 9's to there full potential. dare I say, not even close to it.

I've used 200 wpc from a Rotel, then 500 wpc from a Carver 4.0 and noticed a SUBSTANTIAL difference. I'm not saying you need that kind of ridiculous power, but seperate amplification is the only way to fly on LSi's, even the bookshelves.

If you get the 9's and power it with the Onk, there are 2 important keys to remember

a) watch the volume. Clipping from that Onk at high volumes will pummel those drivers faster than 500 watts from my Carver anyday. low to moderate volumes, making sure the sound is clean

b) you HAVE to plan to upgrade amplification down the road. I say why roll with such a speaker upgrade without planning to tap into more of its potential.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Thanks. I'll keep all that in mind. I don't really crank my 2-ch system anyway. More of a casual listening setup. I just don't know...I'm starting to get away from the "budget" on my Budget 2-ch system.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Howdy - I'm a newbie here. Want some Lsi-9's, but am on a 'beer' budget, so hope to pacify w/ Monitor 5's. I've been on Head-Fi forum for months now, since I lost my listening space. (H-Fi is all about headpones.) Delivering my old faithful Magneplanar MGIIa's to the buyer this weekend.
    I'm curious - How do you like your tweeter (Peerless) mod? Any advice for M5's? , as I think I may have em soon.
    Thanks. Enjoy.

Thread Information