Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: RT3 Issues

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default RT3 Issues

Hi, first time poster here.
    I have had a pair of Polk 4.5s since the mid 80's and been very pleased with them, so when I saw a pair of RT3s at a garage sale, I picked them up to use as stereo speakers in my basement. They sounded good at the sale, but when I got them home, one of the drivers wouldn't make a sound. I swapped out the driver from the good speaker and it worked fine, so I know the crossover is good. First, is there anything I can do to get the driver to work again? Two, if I can't repair it, I see that I can get a new one here for $56. Is this speaker worth it? And three, if it is worth it, do I have to get a pair of drivers to keep things consistent? Thanks for any advice!

Member Sales Rating: (1)

For $56 + the garage sale price, I'd say it's definitely worth it. I have a pair of RT5's and they sound wonderful.

Ask Polk for the model # written on the back of the woofer to see if it matches the working one you currently own.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by Cerrig
    Hi, first time poster here.
    I have had a pair of Polk 4.5s since the mid 80's and been very pleased with them, so when I saw a pair of RT3s at a garage sale, I picked them up to use as stereo speakers in my basement. They sounded good at the sale, but when I got them home, one of the drivers wouldn't make a sound. I swapped out the driver from the good speaker and it worked fine, so I know the crossover is good. First, is there anything I can do to get the driver to work again? Two, if I can't repair it, I see that I can get a new one here for $56. Is this speaker worth it? And three, if it is worth it, do I have to get a pair of drivers to keep things consistent? Thanks for any advice!

look for a used driver on Ebay or any other auction site and buy it.. as long it's an exact match.. if you can.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

If you can't find any on ebay and must buy directly from Polk. Tell them you're a member of Club Polk to receive a discount.
    CD Player: Original CD-A8T
    Pre: Antique Sound Lab Passive T1-X DT
    Amp: NAD C270
    Speakers: B&W DM6
    "I would rather have a cup of tone than an ocean of power" **Dr. Harvey Rosenberg**

Thread Information