Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Default Receiver does 120WPC Speakers can handle 250 Problems????

Hello my reciver will be putting out 120WPC but my fronts (RTi8) can handle 250 will this be a problem will this put a strain on either the speakers or the reciever?

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

No. But I wouldn't crank it. Your receiver will distort and fry your speaker, most often the twetter first...
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Thank you for that but just so I know for the future, it would be better to have more closely match what your speakers can handle, meaning sperate power amps delivering say 200WPC to each of these fronts.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Quote Originally Posted by REDWING3139
    Thank you for that but just so I know for the future, it would be better to have more closely match what your speakers can handle, meaning sperate power amps delivering say 200WPC to each of these fronts.
    No, not necessarily. Don't concern yourself with drawing correlations between speaker load and amp power.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Thank you

Member Sales Rating: (6)

The real goal is to just throw as much power at your speakers as you can afford. ;):D
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Member Sales Rating: (1)

But also be aware that having separate amps driving your speakers will let them operate to their FULL potential without worry about putting your receiver into protect mode or frying your speakers! (IE your ears will give out before your speakers do!)
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Your receiver most likely does 30-35...

So yeah...

dont turn your reciver over +5db or 0db to be safer.
    (is i have learned from experiance:D )
    that is the rule for my avr but i noticed that not all avr's go high in the +db scale. my avr goes to +18, some dont go so high but proberly leve themselves more headroom???
    marantz said that the amp gives its rated outputs warm and with the volume between -5 and odB.

still if your ears say its distorting turn it down.
    ELECTRONICS
    arcam cd93
    linn wakonda
    MC2 MC450
    Teac ud h01 DAC

SPEAKERS
    Tannoy DC6 t se .

Member Sales Rating: (4)

In all actuality your speakers can probably only handle 120 - 150 watts continuous if you're running them full-range. If you have them crossed over to a sub they can handle more.

Don't worry about the wattage ratings on your electronics. The only thing watts buy you are decibels, nothing else. They don't get you "better control" over your drivers or any of that stuff. If you feel you aren't getting enough volume, or if you're driving your receiver to clipping, then it's time to get a beefier receiver or look into a separate amp.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

But do take note that an amp's wattage is typically indicative of the amps 'power'. And so, in general, a higher wattage amp will help to control the drivers better and have more headroom.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

And wattage ratings on receivers are often horribly overrated. The people above have already cautioned you, but what they're really saying is that you will likely get nowhere near 120W with your receiver before your receiver either shuts down or destroys your speakers. A receiver that loses control of the power at 30W is more dangerous than an amp that is clean all the way to 400W for your 250W speakers.

Power ratings for loudspeakers are NOT measured the same way as power ratings for amplifiers.The exact same tweeter for example that can handle a TEN THOUSAND WATT PULSE that comes and goes faster than you can snap your finger(The late AUDIO magazine used to actually do this sort of test)Would LITERALLY MELT if you drove it with ONE LOUSY WATT of continuous power for more than a few seconds using a continuous tone.As long as you are not asking your loudspeakers and amplifier to do things that they were not designed to do(like play at concert hall volume measured 50 feet from the stage for example)Then you should not have any problems.I remember having blown a tweeter by playing the alarm clock section of Time from Pink Floyd's Dark side of the moon cd once.I wanted the neighbors to hear it at midnight on New years.I was using a 60WPC(Watts Per Channel)receiver at the time.I later upgraded to a 200 WPC power amplifier and played the same passage even louder without a problem.The loudspeakers were rated to handle 100 watts.
    Experience counts a thousand times,where words only count ONCE.:o

Thread Information