• No

65 69.89%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: MySpace Poll

Eliza McLaren

Default MySpace Poll

Hi --
    I'm Eliza McLaren. I started working in the marketing department here at Polk last week. I'm taking a quick poll to see how many of you have MySpace accounts. We're thinking of starting a Polk Audio page on MySpace. What do you think about this?

Thanks!

Member Sales Rating: (2)

My single guy friends use it as a meat market. I don't really see the fit for Polk Audio.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by PolkThug
    I don't really see the fit for Polk Audio.
    Ditto!!!

I just don't want to see Polk's reputation take anymore hits and slide into the gutter.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (8)

No, but I've met several people lately that do have them so they have me thinking about it.

As for Polk, I think that's a toughe rcall. What kind of myspace places do other companies have? And not just in consumer electronics and audio, either?

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d

Member Sales Rating: (26)

Bad idea, just check the through the myspace accounts, not a real place were alot of Polk Buyers would hang out, just my opinion.

CRj

Member Sales Rating: (5)

my space, like the world itself, is very diverse.

yes, its a meat market, but many have used it very effectivly as a marketing tool. particularly musicians and comedians.

its a web site with one of the largest and most diverse numbers of members. Any social site with that many people is going to have its dark sides too, doesnt mean you write it off as a marketing tool.

now, doing it the right way? I leave that to the marketing guys at Polk that are getting paid to think about it :D
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

oh yeah, Welcome to the forum Eliza!

Seems cheap.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I think ti could be an effective way of branding, spreading the name. Someone has PolkAudio as a friend, someone clicks the friend, it's like a banner ad but less intrusive :)

It's funny this bizarre view some of you have of MySpace. Sure people use it as a "meat market" but others use it just as another random way to keep track of friends and kill time.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Don't know what My space is or does.....:(

I have an account, but I don't use it. Seems like I signed up in order to get a discount on something, or free stuff.. something like that. Now I get two or three e-mails a week saying something like, "curvybabe19 wants to be your friend!". Oh, and "mikey" wants to be my friend too. Guess they find my blank profile to be an irresistable draw.

Many musicians-- especially independents-- seem to have made good use of it. I don't know if Polk has a lot to gain there, but that's not my job. MySpace probably does present a "representative sample" of who's out there on the internet these days. I think it's unfortunate that a fairly large percentage of those people seem to be up to no good-- But it's still a neat concept.

Jason

Oh, and I almost forgot: Welcome to the forum, Eliza!
    Last edited by jcaut; 07-11-2006 at 10:36 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

don't have one and never look at the site. call me crazy but i don't need an internet website to keep track of my friends or meet new people. but maybe i'm just an old fogey. might be good for the high school/college crowd but it just seems so cheesy and lame to me now.

Member Sales Rating: (18)

Phantom you're not old, I have no use for it, now that I know a bit about it.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Aside from being a meat market myspace has a lot to do with music and bands. Polk makes listening to those bands a lot more enjoyable :)
    Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

I find myspace useless, and Im at that 'target age' for it. If I want to keep track of my friends, Ill call them or talk to them through AIM. If I dont know their number or SN, then it really dosent matter to me.

As for the musicians aspect, I dont really see that as a reason either, other than kind of lazy. I know of well known bands that have completely dropped their fully featured websites in favor or a myspace. That just baffles me. A website would let them further their creativity completely, but yet they use a free service with pre-made layouts that you can only make worse and they have a bunch of annoying *******s sign your board with inane comments like "YOU RULLEZ!!"

This is really just a rant, but I find myspace as a cheap and lazy form of advertisement and meat market. If not those, its for asshats that are too lazy to even use geocities when they want to brag about having a website. The only social networking service Ive seen thats remotely respectable is Facebook, and thats mostly because layouts are fixed and users are limited to college students (gets rid of the majority of the 'rif raf')

I guess what Im really trying to say is that I really don't think Polk having a myspace will help the rep anyway. At least for me anyway.

myspace has a lot to do about nearly everything. Ignoring an oppurtunity for free advertising exposure to millions of people is not something that should just be dismissed without looking into possibilities, plain and simple.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Quote Originally Posted by noimposse
    , but yet they use a free service with pre-made layouts that you can only make worse and they have a bunch of annoying *******s sign your board with inane comments like "YOU RULLEZ!!"

customizing the layout is far easier than you think.

and for every band with an "annoying @sshole" that posts stupid comments, those same @ssholes buy records and support the band.

thats business, thats marketing. If you own a business, and ignore a huge (and free) marketing tool just because you dont like it personally, its safe to say that would not be a sound business position.

and to look less on polk for doing it is equally insane. I'm going to like my speakers less becasue of a myspace ad? I'm not that easily influenced.

lest we forget gents, Polk is a business plain and simple, and we shouldnt
    begrudge them for merely entertaining an avenue for free exposure to tens of millions of people.

2 Channel -

And like I stated, it was a rant on my part. I never stated anyone needed to agree.

When I think of myspace, I dont really think of 'respectable' is all. Maybe that is a misconception on my part, but the idea is sunk pretty deep in my skull.

I own a business, and I wouldn't use MySpace as an avenue of advertisement. I won't begrudge them for doing it, but it seems cheap. I can see the Car Audio side of Polk making a lot of sense, but beyond that -- no.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza McLaren
    Hi --
    I'm Eliza McLaren. I started working in the marketing department here at Polk last week. I'm taking a quick poll to see how many of you have MySpace accounts. We're thinking of starting a Polk Audio page on MySpace. What do you think about this?

Thanks!
    i think it's swell.

Look at how it's helped the industry, particularly independent bands since the advent of mp3 & limewire.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

please resist the temptation...

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by ohskigod
    my space, like the world itself, is very diverse.

yes, its a meat market, but many have used it very effectivly as a marketing tool. particularly musicians and comedians.

its a web site with one of the largest and most diverse numbers of members. Any social site with that many people is going to have its dark sides too, doesnt mean you write it off as a marketing tool.

now, doing it the right way? I leave that to the marketing guys at Polk that are getting paid to think about it :D

Well said Lou

Member Sales Rating: (13)

How about concentrating on building up the Polk name, not pulling it down by being associated with the latest internet fad.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Quote Originally Posted by F1nut
    How about concentrating on building up the Polk name, not pulling it down by being associated with the latest internet fad.

Well said Jesse.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.

Hi Eliza, Welcome!

I equate Myspace.com with pedophilia! We had 2 reports on the news in as many months of arrests being made of these grown old dogs who convinced these teenage girls to meet them in big parking lots to go do god knows what! Fortunately the girls were cops!!!

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to broaden your exposure to more people, but I'm certainly glad I wont have to depend on myspace to know what's going on in Polk Audio's world!

Cathy
    Last edited by cfrizz; 07-11-2006 at 01:20 PM.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Member Sales Rating: (14)

I love al the comments to the tune of "I don't need an online community to find people with simliar interests, I can just go out like a normal person and find them...." ... uhh, you do realize you're posting on an online community right? What a bunch of hypocrites.

MySpace may not be the best organized thing of its kind out there, and it has a LOT of faults, but it's by far the most popular, and as an avenue for advertising it's a great idea. It's not for everyone, and neither is the PolkAudio message board.

I'm amazed that some of you ever gave up the Victrola for them new-fangled electronics, the way you're talking, holy crap.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Seems kind of lame.

Are there any other large companies doing this?

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Welcome Eliza! I don't know if a Myspace page would help Polk with speaker sales. But I leave that to the Marketing experts. If I were to log onto Myspace, my wife would think I'm trying to meet women. I've never been on there.
    Carl

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!:D :D :D

I love al the comments to the tune of "I don't need an online community to find people with simliar interests, I can just go out like a normal person and find them...." ... uhh, you do realize you're posting on an online community right? What a bunch of hypocrites.

MySpace may not be the best organized thing of its kind out there, and it has a LOT of faults, but it's by far the most popular, and as an avenue for advertising it's a great idea. It's not for everyone, and neither is the PolkAudio message board.

I'm amazed that some of you ever gave up the Victrola for them new-fangled electronics, the way you're talking, holy crap.
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

club polk and polk's website is 'classy' and myspace is rather, at times, 'trashy'.

ONKYO TX-SR805

XBOX 360

Thread Information