I'm on a quest to find a pair of fronts for my HT system. I sort of decided to go with bookshelf speakers for several reasons --
- medium room size
- listening preferences (low to moderate)
- bass is covered by a kick-ass sub
Here's what I'm looking for:
- budget is $500 - $750 new or used (in 8/10 condition or higher); I love to support manufacturers who offer high quality at a great price
- even though I have a kick-ass sub, I want the speaker to go as low as humanly possible for such a small box (I like bass all over the place)
- 6 or 8 ohm (I'll be using a receiver for a while)
- a sensitivity of 88 or higher
- aesthetics: I'd prefer something other than a basic box - maybe something like a tweeter on top or a curved shape
- color: a golden oak or birdseye maple or walnut or rosewood or something a bit exotic (sort of like the Usher X-719 or Polk Lsi9)
- a relatively "large" bookshelf speaker (again, like the Lsi9)
- I would consider an MTM configuration
One of my top choices is a Von Schweikert VR-1. It's kinda basic looking, but it has most of what I'm looking for. I'm also considering going back to a Norh product. I dunno.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.