Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default I Need Speaker Recommendations, Please

I'm on a quest to find a pair of fronts for my HT system. I sort of decided to go with bookshelf speakers for several reasons --

- medium room size
    - listening preferences (low to moderate)
    - bass is covered by a kick-ass sub
    - aesthetics
    - mobility
    - cost
    - WAF

Here's what I'm looking for:

- budget is $500 - $750 new or used (in 8/10 condition or higher); I love to support manufacturers who offer high quality at a great price
    - even though I have a kick-ass sub, I want the speaker to go as low as humanly possible for such a small box (I like bass all over the place)
    - 6 or 8 ohm (I'll be using a receiver for a while)
    - a sensitivity of 88 or higher
    - aesthetics: I'd prefer something other than a basic box - maybe something like a tweeter on top or a curved shape
    - color: a golden oak or birdseye maple or walnut or rosewood or something a bit exotic (sort of like the Usher X-719 or Polk Lsi9)
    - a relatively "large" bookshelf speaker (again, like the Lsi9)
    - I would consider an MTM configuration

One of my top choices is a Von Schweikert VR-1. It's kinda basic looking, but it has most of what I'm looking for. I'm also considering going back to a Norh product. I dunno.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (27)

Tyler Freedom.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

I've spent a bit of time with the VR-1's and briefly acquainted myself with your hot-rod Norh 5.1’s. With that said, here are choices that I would put above the aforementioned designs given your criteria;

Totem Acoustic Rainmaker

Despite its 4 ohm nominal rating, it is an efficient speaker with honest extension down into the lower 40hz range. Its bass is tuneful and reasonably quick. This speaker was designed to be a versatile all-arounder and has gained a reputation for being one of the top choices in its range. The one thing I feel the Rainmaker can do that neither the VR 1 or Norh can do is capture the soul of the music through excellent air and a true sense of timbre. It’s a sleek design that’s very pleasing on the eyes, easy to drive and remains an admirable performer even on mid-end electronics.

Dynaudio Focus 110

Raise your budget by 50 bucks and enter a whole new world that should give your Taylo Ref’s a good run for the money. Although they rarely pop up on audiogon, the last two ads of the 110 sold for at or around $800.

This speaker is probably the second most versatile compact monitor I’ve come across, excelling at every aspect we as audiophiles look for while also handling any type of music with non-biased ease. Its sleek, looks good, and despite its low efficiency rating (85db) and 4 ohms average impedence – its easy to drive. Some grunt HK electronics had NO trouble driving them. The voicing of the 110 made it sound more like your average 89db efficient speaker. Dynaudio is one of the VERY few companies that *knows* how to design a low-order X-over. If you can stretch the budget, these are a must-buy. Forget VS, they’ve got nothing on these loss leaders.

edit: The above information is incorrect now as someone recently listed a pair of 110's for $1000.
    Last edited by Zero; 08-24-2006 at 09:22 PM.

Will 4 ohm bookshelf fronts jeopardize overheating and shutting down my receiver?

I don't play movies at real loud volumes, if that makes any difference.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Energy Connoisseur C-3.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Monitor Audio Silver S2...

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Do you not run a center channel in your front end for HT. If you do I would think that this would have to be factored into your decision as well. If not, then, don't mind me.

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Early,

It depends on the speaker. Both the Dane and Rainmaker have very steady impedence characteristics and should not dip much below their rating of 4 ohms.

If worse comes to worse, my next recommendation would be the Triangle Comete ES. http://www.triangle-fr.com/uk/esprit...?modele=comete

Another fantastic product.

If you don't mind building I think these would be fabulous. Just a little over budget though.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=550

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Since your always looking for a deal Early,TAD 803.Single driver,no cross over
    easy to drive,and a waf factor up the wazzu.Reviews on Audiogon and the price will please even you,200 bucks.A steal of a deal!:)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Pioneer 59AVI
    Pioneer BDP 320
    50 in. Pioneer Kuro pdp 5010
    FX 500 surround
    Reality cables
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Cary Xciter dac

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Quote Originally Posted by HTrookie
    Monitor Audio Silver S2...

http://www.saturdayaudio.com/
    *salivates uncontrollably*
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Mick
    If you don't mind building I think these would be fabulous. Just a little over budget though.

http://www.diycable.com/main/product...roducts_id=550

Mike
    Those speakers are sweet! I didn't see any specs on them, though.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Those speakers are sweet! I didn't see any specs on them, though.
    I've been eyeing the Exodus kits for a while. I want to try building some DIY speakers. There are other kits HERE.

There are specs on the Exodus Audio 61's

Also, I pushed my Dyn's with a ****ty yamaha receiver for about 6 months when I first got them. no issues for me.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15

Quote Originally Posted by tryrrthg
    Also, I pushed my Dyn's with a ****ty yamaha receiver for about 6 months when I first got them. no issues for me.
    Cool. If I can use 4 ohm speakers, then my choices increase to include the Lsi9.

Currently, working on the 2641's myself. (sorry a little of topic...enough said)

Mike
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

Quote Originally Posted by Midnite Mick
    Currently, working on the 2641's myself.
    Do you mean you're currently building them or working to buy them? If you're building them, you gotta take lots of pics and post them in the DIY section.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Hey Early How are you liking those Tylos?
    You havent updated us since your original thread.

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Lsi9
    Hey Early How are you liking those Tylos?
    You havent updated us since your original thread.
    The Taylos are awesome. Greatest speakers known to mankind. ;) I bought them, sold them, then bought them again. They are permanent fixtures on my 2-channel system. I considered using them on my HT system, as well. They sound great as fronts, but I don't want to risk damaging them by carrying them from room to room. The Buggs I'm currently using as fronts are very good, but they're not at the same level of SQ as my center channel. That's why I'm looking for another set of "high end" speakers.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

You sold the Taylos, did you get a more expensive model after? or just the Taylos? any upgrade on the veneer?
    also have you considered Dali speaks they get good reviews

Audio Physic Scorpio II
    Pathos Logos
    MIT Shotgun S3
    Bada HD-22 CDP

Quote Originally Posted by Lsi9
    You sold the Taylos, did you get a more expensive model after? or just the Taylos? any upgrade on the veneer?
    also have you considered Dali speaks they get good reviews
    Nope. Sold them, dismantled my 2-channel system, bought them again, and re-assembled the 2-channel system.

Never heard the Dali speakers. The Euphonias look nice, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Do you mean you're currently building them or working to buy them? If you're building them, you gotta take lots of pics and post them in the DIY section.
    This didn't show up in my new posts until someone posted this morning (Aug. 28).

I am currently building them. I don't have a digital camera so progress pictures aren't really very convenient but I will be sure to get one for when they are done and provide finished photos.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Last edited by Midnite Mick; 08-28-2006 at 01:53 PM.
    Consonance cd120T
    Usher CP 6311

Member Sales Rating: (21)

Big HT bookshelf, why not the RT55i? Digs to about 45hz -3db. Sounds great especially with rock.

Just a thought.

RT1
    REEL TIME THEATRE
    Onkyo-TX-NR5007
    B&K 7270 amplifier
    Polk SWA-500 Subwoofer amplifier
    OppO BDP-83
    Pioneer Elite 50"
    Polk LCi-RTS-105;LCi-RTS-C;LCi-RTSFx;LCi80Fx
    Subs-Twin Polk CSW200
    HTS5000

RABBIT HOLE RIG
    BAT VK-31SE
    VTL MB-450 Signature monoblock
    Wolcott Presence monoblock
    Musical Fidelity kW SACD
    Rega P25/RB600/Clearaudio Aurum Beta
    Acoustech Phono-Pre
    Sound Lab Millenium ELS
    BillyBags Rack
    MIT S1/3 cables
    Shunyata/PS Audio/Virtual Dynamics Power Cords

Everthing Matters...Tubes Rule...and It's Over until it's Not Over

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Early B,

You know there's only one thing to do to match that superb center you have. Pick up a pair of AAD 2001 monitors!!!!! That would be a truly 1st class speaker system for both HT & 2 channel. I don't think there's much else in their league for the money & even for a lot more. The only problem is trying to find a pair on your established budget. Look under the sofa's for some extra money.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    Early B,

You know there's only one thing to do to match that superb center you have. Pick up a pair of AAD 2001 monitors!!!!! That would be a truly 1st class speaker system for both HT & 2 channel. I don't think there's much else in their league for the money & even for a lot more. The only problem is trying to find a pair on your established budget. Look under the sofa's for some extra money.
    You're right. The AAD 2001's are what is really want. For now, it's out of my price range. I would need to buy them used anyway and they're probably rarely available (unless you're willing to part with yours, of course;) ). One day they'll be mine.

Member Sales Rating: (10)

It'll be a cold day in hell before I part with my AAD 2001 monitors!!!! I'll send you a picture if you'd like LOL. By the way where did you pick up the 2002?
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    By the way where did you pick up the 2002?
    Picked up the 2002 on audiogon.

Thread Information