Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default PS Audio Noise Harvester

I received my Noise Harvester today.

For those who are not familiar with it, here it is...

http://www.psaudio.com/products/noiseharvester.asp

OK, so I plugged it in and the damn thing starts blinking like hell -- maybe several times per second. I tried another outlet -- same thing. Then I begin to grow more skeptical about whether this thing actually works. I turn on my music to find out...

I pop in my typical reference CD and lo & behold -- the damn thing works. The differences are very subtle, of course (I only have one of them), but noticeable within the first few seconds of the first song I played. The sound is a bit cleaner with a hint more detail. It's a keeper.

Who knows -- it may make a bigger improvement after 100 hours of break in (ha ha).

I will say, however, I doubt you'll notice much of a difference, if any, on less than stellar recordings. It's a good tweak for the critical listener. Will I buy more of them? Nope. I'm too cheap.

Pearsall001 -- what's been your experience with the noise harvester?
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (40)

That blinking is supposed AC line noise being converted to light.

There are several similar devices on the market. Audio Prism used to make the 'Quiet Line' that was a Stereophile recommended component for quite a few years, sold for $24.95 each. I've seen some guys use several in a room at a time.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...14351&section=

Edit - found the AP link - I don't think they are sold any more retail:
    http://www.audioprism.com/quietline.html
    Last edited by RuSsMaN; 10-11-2006 at 05:57 PM.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Thanks for the link. Just ordered a Quietline.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Pearsall001 -- what's been your experience with the noise harvester?[/QUOTE]

Early, I second that on your findings with the NH. Not a bad price considering what it does. I might go for another one, but I'll wait to hear back on your findings with the Quietline product.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    Early, I second that on your findings with the NH. Not a bad price considering what it does. I might go for another one, but I'll wait to hear back on your findings with the Quietline product.
    Oops. My bad. I ordered an Electroclear QRT Noise Reduction unit (the first link in Russman's post.)

Pear -- I'll post my results here.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Hmmm, even if the noise gets "converted" to a blinky light at that plug-in, your gear plugged in below it will still see the noise, would it not?

Quote Originally Posted by PolkThug
    Hmmm, even if the noise gets "converted" to a blinky light at that plug-in, your gear plugged in below it will still see the noise, would it not?
    What noise?

It has been converted to light.

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Boy am I skeptical on these things.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnut4772
    Boy am I skeptical on these things.
    Yeah, so am I, that's why I try them. If the harvester didn't work, I'd simply return it. I bought this one from a reputable e-tailer (audioadvisor), so returns would be hassle-free.

My harvester gave out on me after one day of service. Well, I assume it did because the light no longer blinks. Gotta return it.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

North Victoria Gardens, Altacucawanda, California

Could it be that the harvester has done eating all the noise gremlins, Early? ;)

can't help it :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Yes EB, possibly it works even better than advertised and has permanently cleansed your line of noise! Just kidding, of course, and we should keep in mind that the power supply section of well-designed audio equipment has a transformer, rectifier and filter capacitors which supply clean DC; no "noise harvesting" is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    What noise?

It has been converted to light.
    In order for your gear to not see the 'noise', the harvester and your gear would need to be plugged in, in a series, not parallel. (assuming that it actually works)

Member Sales Rating: (9)

Musicdirect.com has the Quietlines for sale for $29.95.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...?sku=AQUIETFIL
    Wris****ch--->Crisco

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Quote Originally Posted by strider
    Musicdirect.com has the Quietlines for sale for $29.95.

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/...?sku=AQUIETFIL
    I checked that out. They are currently on back order.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    My harvester gave out on me after one day of service. Well, I assume it did because the light no longer blinks. Gotta return it.
    False alarm.

I called Audioadvisor today and the CS guy told me to try it again because sometimes the harvester does not appear to be blinking at all, but it's blinking faintly and can only be seen when all of the lights are out. Other times it'll blink like crazy. So I reinstalled it and now it's blinking like crazy again. I'll keep watching it, though.

sounds exciting! ;)

I received my Electroclear QRT Noise Reduction unit yesterday and hooked it up along with the Noise Harvester. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. I'll take the next day or so and switch them out (i.e., A/B them), then I'll have a better idea if the Electroclear works as well as the noise harvester. I can already tell you, though, the big advantage the noise harvester has -- that darn blinking light. At least I know it's doing something. With the Electroclear, you just have to assume it's functioning.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

John K., you are SO effing clueless!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by PolkThug
    In order for your gear to not see the 'noise', the harvester and your gear would need to be plugged in, in a series, not parallel. (assuming that it actually works)
    Can you explain this? I am trying to figure where this is suppossed to be plugged in. You say in series, so I assume that means in line, before the gear from which you are trying to keep the noise. If one is using a power conditioner already, would this plug into the wall with the power conditioner plugged into it? Why wouldn't a conditioner take care of these commonly found line issues in the first place?

You don't plug your fridge, etc into it and then it into the wall? Seems that would work as well since it would harvest the noise at the source before it circulates throughout the entire line.
    Last edited by univera; 10-16-2006 at 05:17 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I have one... it only blinks when I run the vacuum cleaner or when the air conditioner is running. Other than that it rarely blinks. I guess I have fairly quiet AC lines.

John
    My main rig
    Eico HF-87 amp and Eico HF-85 preamp; Klipsch Cornwall I; Systemdek IIX TT w/ a Dynavector 10x4 MKII cart; Denon DVD-2910 universal CD/SACD/DVD-A/HDCD player - Polk Monitor 5s, 7s, & 10s used in secondary systems.

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    I received my Electroclear QRT Noise Reduction unit yesterday and hooked it up along with the Noise Harvester. Frankly, I couldn't tell the difference. I'll take the next day or so and switch them out (i.e., A/B them), then I'll have a better idea if the Electroclear works as well as the noise harvester. I can already tell you, though, the big advantage the noise harvester has -- that darn blinking light. At least I know it's doing something. With the Electroclear, you just have to assume it's functioning.

Early,

How did the A/B go?

Sal
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (58)

A complete waste of money but glad it worked for you.
    Last edited by dorokusai; 01-03-2009 at 10:17 AM.

Thread Information