Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight
    I'd replace the 1.2TL's in my two channel rig, but not my other SDA-based rigs.
    Oh Raife you just broke by heart with that statement! :(

On the other hand, hmmmmm, replace your upgraded tweeter, updated crossovers 1.2TLs . . . when you do replace them I would love to buy them from you, for TOP DOLLAR!!! I'll have no problems driving from Newark DE to Baton Rouge or Boca Raton OR wherever you will be at that time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by madmax
    I wonder how you get in that niche... :)
    madmax
    I did it by robbing two banks for a total score of $529,000 and got away with it. Then I woke up!!!:D

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Thought about that. Noticed it didn't work out for bonnie and clyde though.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by DarqueKnight
    I can't imagine having this monstrosity in my living room even if they paid me $120,000.;)
    You don't have to pay me, just drop them off on the front stoop and I'll bring them in myselves.

Perhaps Matt Polk could have a look-see at a business model along the lines of Dodge and the "MoPar Performance" division.
    From what I understand, if a MoPar Head wants to get high performance parts, he can get them through MoPar Performance at his local Dodge dealer.
    It isn't necessary to go through a speed shop, although that option is certainly open for those who have deeper pockets and want the leading, bleeding edge.

Maybe have a "PoPar Performance" division. Want some SDA's ? You could order them through Circuit City. It would be a "blind buy" in the sense that Circuit City doesn't have them on display (could put them right behind the R15's, though :) ). The assumption would be that if you're ordering them, you've obviously heard them by 1. Own, or previously owned them or 2. Know someone who has a pair and you've already auditioned them.

Circuit City would get a little cut of the pie, so they're happy.

Now, I would imagine that the "PoPar Performance" division wouldn't be the profit leader for the new Polk. But you know what ? That'd be okay.
    If it breaks even, that'd be sufficient.
    It would assist Polk in further developing an image of a company that is not only forward looking, but remembers the past, too.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Usually right, but sometimes not entirely factually correct.
    Shifting to Plan B

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Chuck, thanks my point exactly!
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Member Sales Rating: (0)

The point that is missed is that there are folks who would spend $10,000 on a grilled cheese sandwich with Oprahs face on it.

There are still quite a few of us who hear the difference.

Currently: Even the Best - Howie Day (gotta get the album)

Member Sales Rating: (3)

When you you get to that point, you have to have the best ! kinda like a high fashion model. They arent into the quality (that Ive seen) as much as the snob factor. the kind that tell what they are and how much they were rather than just listening to them and letting you ask......

It was funny I was talking about buying a set of sda's to my friend who owns a hifi shop and he was trying to talk me outa buying a set of sda's. I had to ask him hmmm you have a better set of speakers ? Course he brought up his home set that are like 10 grand. Holy cow they sound nice ohmygod ! Their kinda well not as impressive looking. Nice dont get me wrong but These (sda 1.2 tls)match my entertainemnt center BIG! and candle handle the power ! I dont want a pair of lil bose like speakers. besides if a bose like speaker is what I was looking for I would live in an apartment instead of out in the country where you can listen to the music and feel it and no one gets upset about it. its all about POWER, SURFACE AREA, SEPERATION and IMAGING !!!
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Default Hard to really describe SDA, you may not believe me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    I have never heard them and would like to hear what all the fuss is about. Mike
    When I heard the 2B's in 90?, I was giddy. Can speakers make sound appear to be coming from the thin-air anywhere between you and the speakers, and even from outside the boundaries of the speakers? Where do you live, I'd love to show-off my entry level SDA's:) (I'm in Houston/SugarLand area).

As far as the quality of the receiver needed to drive SDA's, I started w/ a small Sony with my 2B's in 90?, moved up to a mid-range Denon in 98, moved to the top HK in 2004. The HK can supply a LOT of current (has a very large power supply, the beast weighs 65lbs.). The sound quality was very good w/ the Sony, and moving from the Sony to the Denon was an improvement in quality. The sound quality moving from the Denon to the HK - very significant, across the entire range. Cleaner and quicker. Some sounds coming out of my speakers that I had never heard before on familiar CD's.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

But your still using same 2B's, huh?
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mrbigbluelight
    You don't have to pay me, just drop them off on the front stoop and I'll bring them in myselves.

Perhaps Matt Polk could have a look-see at a business model along the lines of Dodge and the "MoPar Performance" division.
    From what I understand, if a MoPar Head wants to get high performance parts, he can get them through MoPar Performance at his local Dodge dealer.
    It isn't necessary to go through a speed shop, although that option is certainly open for those who have deeper pockets and want the leading, bleeding edge.

Maybe have a "PoPar Performance" division. Want some SDA's ? You could order them through Circuit City. It would be a "blind buy" in the sense that Circuit City doesn't have them on display (could put them right behind the R15's, though :) ). The assumption would be that if you're ordering them, you've obviously heard them by 1. Own, or previously owned them or 2. Know someone who has a pair and you've already auditioned them.

Circuit City would get a little cut of the pie, so they're happy.

Now, I would imagine that the "PoPar Performance" division wouldn't be the profit leader for the new Polk. But you know what ? That'd be okay.
    If it breaks even, that'd be sufficient.
    It would assist Polk in further developing an image of a company that is not only forward looking, but remembers the past, too.
    Great Nine Hundred and Ninety, Ninth post!!!

Default The 2B's still throw a nice soudstage.

Quote Originally Posted by amulford
    But your still using same 2B's, huh?
    I'm still trying to work out the details on the SRS deal..... Nothing a few more $$$'s wouldn't solve. He didn't figure the shipping correctly, and is asking for more than originally agreed. I'm not the kind to hold his feet to the fire. I may be a bit old-fashion, but I still believe in the 'Golden Rule'. If this doesn't work out, I'll be patient. Another possibility... as I'm still new to the forum, is there a 'contribute to a polk fan so he can upgrade his speakers' sign-up?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcoil
    I'm still trying to work out the details on the SRS deal..... Nothing a few more $$$'s wouldn't solve. He didn't figure the shipping correctly, and is asking for more than originally agreed. I'm not the kind to hold his feet to the fire. I may be a bit old-fashion, but I still believe in the 'Golden Rule'. If this doesn't work out, I'll be patient. Another possibility... as I'm still new to the forum, is there a 'contribute to a polk fan so he can upgrade his speakers' sign-up?

Patience my boy, if these fall through you WILL find another pair probably and even better deal.

Welcome to Club Polk!:)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

Quote Originally Posted by dcoil
    Patience is of virtue, and all good thing come to those who wait.

I have been told, and have confirmed that the 2B has the exact same crossover as the CRS+. You could do the same upgrade/modifications that we are is doing to the CRS+'s to your 2B's. I'd give odds it'll make one helluva difference.

I have a set, and I am going to do it soon. Just a thought.
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Quote Originally Posted by Early B. View Post
    Has anyone attempted to make their own DIY SDA speaker with better drivers and crossover parts?

Here's an idea -- let's lobby Polk to design and sanction the sale of DIY SDA kits.
    I made some study to remake the SDA CRS (I already have a vintage pair, LSi9, and RTA12). Buying materials from Club Polk will cost approximately $600. This price do not include building the cabinet/box. This consist of buying the replacement drivers (4-MW6503), tweeters (4-SL2000), bass radiator (2-SW102), and crossover network (4-crossover networks--2 for stereo and 2 for dimensional). The schematics are available in this forum and so are the description of parts and prices. Some parts like binding posts, etc is available in "Parts Express". If you have carpentry skills and love the SDA, this is the only way to get the new SDA with improved parts and not worry about your vintage speaker freeze up due to the magnets shifting and rubbing the voice coil (I just had my driver replaced and with curiosity, I disassembled the driver and found out a few months ago, the glue became soft, got hard again with the magnet move/shifted). With some amateur soldering, and wiring skill, this is possible. This also applies to any SDA line if you can buy replacement parts. Since Polk Audio do not make them anymore, why can't we using the replacement parts being sold in Polk store. Polk makes the profit (by us buying the parts), and saves Polk Audio to remake and build the cabinet. What do you think?

I heard the SDAs one time. Only once!!! Needless to say, I was utterly amazed and have still not heard that same sound to this day. I've heard plenty of specialty speaker well over the price of the SDAs, but I haven't found a set of speakers that amazed me the way those did. Perhaps I was new to hi-fi, but I tend to agree with Mr. Polk that, at the time I was bitten by the audio bug was about the same time quality started taking a nose dive.

I remember hearing people tell me how good Pioneer was, only to listen for myself and think "Well, not really" only to find out years later that Pioneer USED to be awesome. Same thing with Fisher.

I'm into Rotel stuff now, and am well pleased. I have several sets of Polk Audio speakers, and they are all vintage. I'm not knocking the spankin' new stuff, because I haven't heard it, but I have a set of Monitor 10s I would bet sound better than anything at Circuit City or Best Buy.

Earlier today I hooked up my Monitor 5 ( I believe that's what they are) and just listened. Fantastic. I can't leave them out because I have cats, but someday, ahhh someday, I'll have a sound room.

Oh, SDAs were awesome.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

I remember hearing people tell me how good Pioneer was, only to listen for myself and think "Well, not really" only to find out years later that Pioneer USED to be awesome.
    I'd have to say that your initial impression was the correct one.
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Banned

I 'd say get rid of the cats.

I still have my circa 1986 SDAs and love them...

Hello to all, this is my first post. I never new Polk had a forum. With that being said... I am the original owner of a set of SDA-1s...I can even give you the serial # off one of the backs as it is faceing me right now "7064"

I"m not sure when I bought them, sometime in the 1980's.
    I've had some problems with them...but probably not what most of you would have. I'm a musicain/guitar player....I play rock, or what is now "Classic" rock.
    I have played these speakers VERY loud...as I used them to practice with a Marshall 1/2 stack. At high volume.
    I use high end equipment to power these.

Adcom GTP 400 pre amp
    Onkyo Integra amp, model M-504
    Sony XA3ES CD player
    Technics 1700 turntable

The only problems with these speakers is I have blown a few tweeters and the fused tweeter thing shuts them down, when the volume gets to high.
    I have replaced 1 crossover unit in 1 speaker(could have been upgraded) and replaced 1 speaker...I think another needs to be replaced, but Polk did not have the speaker avilable at the time to buy.
    At least 1 speaker still shuts down, on the tweeter....(probably the one I didn't replace the crossover on..but not sure.)

Right now ..where i'm living..I don't even have the speakers hooked up...there just stuck in corners were I could fit them. But next year when I move...they will be running again.
    I don't know if Polk made any upgrades to these speakers to eliminate these problems.
    But then again, I don't know if anybody really plays them at the volumes that I do.
    I was looking at the new Rti 12 speakers...that people seem to say "need" power...but may do the volume that I need. I have the power, and If I need more, will biamp the speakers.
    The SDA's sound great...but just can't do the volume that I need.
    Any thoughts on this?..did Polk come out with some upgraded stuff for the SDA?
    Thanks

Your best bet? Use the search function in here in regards to SDA upgrades. Many, many, many posts about it.
    Richard? Who's your favorite Little Rascal? Alfalfa? Or is it........................Spanky?................. ................Sinner.

Member Sales Rating: (11)

Quote Originally Posted by bobt View Post
    Hello to all, this is my first post. I never new Polk had a forum. With that being said... I am the original owner of a set of SDA-1s...I can even give you the serial # off one of the backs as it is faceing me right now "7064"

I've had some problems with them...but probably not what most of you would have. I'm a musicain/guitar player....I play rock, or what is now "Classic" rock.
    I have played these speakers VERY loud...as I used them to practice with a Marshall 1/2 stack. At high volume.

Adcom GTP 400 pre amp
    Sony XA3ES CD player
    Technics 1700 turntable

The only problems with these speakers is I have blown a few tweeters and the fused tweeter thing shuts them down, when the volume gets to high.
    I have replaced 1 crossover unit in 1 speaker(could have been upgraded) and replaced 1 speaker...I think another needs to be replaced, but Polk did not have the speaker avilable at the time to buy.
    At least 1 speaker still shuts down, on the tweeter....(probably the one I didn't replace the crossover on..but not sure.)

Right now ..where i'm living..I don't even have the speakers hooked up...there just stuck in corners were I could fit them. But next year when I move...they will be running again.
    I don't know if Polk made any upgrades to these speakers to eliminate these problems.
    But then again, I don't know if anybody really plays them at the volumes that I do.
    I was looking at the new Rti 12 speakers...that people seem to say "need" power...but may do the volume that I need. I have the power, and If I need more, will biamp the speakers.
    Thanks
    Ummm sir, they weren't designed to be used as guitar speakers... that's why you keep blowing the tweeters. get yourself some speakers designed to be used as guitar speakers.

It's fine that you play them loud, but that loud that you keep blowing up tweeters isn't a good thing for any speaker not designed for that purpose.

Would you red line your car for 3 or 4 hours at a time and expect something not to give on it? I kind of doubt it.

Ok...just to let you know..these speakers where in in no way usesd as GUITAR speakers.......I thought that was clear in the post.
    They were used to produce music that I practiced to...and played guitar on a Marshall amp....
    They were played loud......to reproduce music off records or cd...for practice.

Audiophile
    Member Sales Rating: (30)

Ok...just to let you know..these speakers where in in no way usesd as GUITAR speakers.......I thought that was clear in the post.
    They were used to produce music that I practiced to...and played guitar on a Marshall amp....
    They were played loud......to reproduce music off records or cd...for practice.
    No, that wasn't clear. But it does make me feel a little better. You can replace any of the components no problem. However, playing them so loud that you are breaking components is a problem. Turn it down a little and let them sing; I am glad that you are listening to them, no matter how. :)

Banned

Welcome to Club Polk!

Member Sales Rating: (58)

Adcom GTP 400 pre amp
    Sony XA3ES CD player
    Technics 1700 turntable

Thanks
    I presume internally fused not external?

I like the SDA Kit idea. Unfortunately, since Polk is now owned by an international co., the warranty issues for the legal dept. would be a nightmare.
    I remember a friend of mines father, who built a Heathkit: HiFi, T.V., and PC back in the 70's/ 80's. Don't know of co.'s still doing that kind of stuff?

Member Sales Rating: (58)

There's alot of companies that give you the parts to build your own electronics.

I agree with Mr.Polk’s assessment; it seems fairly bang on. I was fortunate to be invited to the “debut” (in my area) of the SDA series back when they were new. The Polk rep. put it on and did the demo and to this day I am envious of anyone lucky enough to own a pair; truly amazing speakers in spite of the size. I did end up buying a pair of 11t’s instead and have greatly enjoyed them ever since.

Personally I can’t say that I could see Polk making something like the SDA work in today’s day and age. To do so you would need the specialty dealers and the specialty dealers are generally not looking to take on brands that they compete against the big box stores against. I don’t see Polk giving up on the mainstream marketing format that the big box stores caters to, so to me; that is the end of it.

Default Polk SDA series

Polk could introduce a new high end line of SDA series speakers through a factory direct purchase. This would be similar to what OHM is doing with their speakers. This would allow Polk to control cost and inventory of such large speakers by today’s standards while giving the consumer an in home trial period to see if the speaker is for their listening pleasure. This also cuts out the "big box stores" from their mark-ups and finagling between competing chains and will not compete with their bread and butter business of lower to moderate priced products.
    As far as the size of the original SDA's, they could be slim lined by using dual voice coil mid/woofers instead of single drivers. For example: The large SDA SRS series, what ever they would call them, would use four mid/woofer instead of eight like the original version and would still use four tweeters and IC cable. I believe Fried speakers did a few models with an IC cable and dual voice coil mids.
    One last thing, If Polk could make the new High End speaker time alligned and phase coherent, now we have something! That may be stretch though.
    As a bonus Polk could do all of this in the US to back to their American root heritage of US made high end audio.
    Look at what Wilson's asking prices for their speakers? They manage to stay in business the old fashioned way but you pay dearly for their sound.

Just a few thoughts

Default Slight hi-jack,please?

I just a found a pair of SDA-SRS for sale at a reasonable price.Since I have never heard them,how do they compare to my LSi 15 pair?If you know both well,I am appreciative of your response.p.s. I run the LSi with 300wpc,which I would use if I got the SDA.Many thanks!

Thread Information