I finally got my Sonicraft capacitors on Friday, and dug right in to perform the rebuild.
The whole job took me 5 hours to do both crossovers.
The guy at Sonic Craft really did me right, as you can see in one of the images. He bagged each cap(s) in a bag, with a L and R for left and right speaker, with the values.
He was able to match left and right with 1% tolerance.
Here is the total parts needed in case someone else is planning to perform this mod.
This list is for 1 PAIR of crossovers
2x 27uF 200V
2x 18uF 200V
2x 16uF 200V
2x 8uF 200V
2x 5.8uF 200V
4x 750pF 600V
4x Mills MRA5 5-Watt 22.5 ohm wire wound resistors.
Total cost for both crossovers = $243.00
Sonic Craft was able to match most of these values, but not all. Therefore, 2 capacitors in parallel are used to obtain the proper values.
For the values:
18uF --> used 17uF + 1uF in parallel
16uF --> used 15.5uF + 0.47uF in parallel
22.5 ohms --> used 22.0 + 0.5 in series
Since the capacitors are so large, I decided to mount them vertically. I used a piece of AWG 16 speaker wire to connect the top of the caps to the PCB.
Its the only way you can get them to fit on the board.
I replaced the polyswitches as well with the Raychem 1.35amp current rating.
These are from Polk ...for FREE
Here is a link to the Sonic Craft GEN1 "Sonicaps"
Here is a link to the Sonic Craft RELCAP RTE 750pF caps
Here is a link to the Mills MRA 5 resitors
The highs and mids are much tighter and fuller. I think the highs are even a bit brighter now. The bass is very tight, fast and deep.
I will be auditioning many sources this weekend. So far, ....very impressed, and happy I got them both right the first time.
Enjoy the pictures.
Thanks for everyones help and advice.
Steve in VA.