Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Default Room Size/ Sub Size

I have decided to get an SVS cylinder sub.

20-39PCi or a 20-39PCi+

My basement HT area is 18'w X 19' d X 7'-6" average height. This comes to @ 2600 cubic feet. Actual listening area is @ 12' w X 11' d.

I can not listen to anything real loud unless I am the only one in the house which rarely happens. When I listen to music loud it usually max's out in the 95db range.

I have not measured my db's when listening to HT because I have not had a proper sub since I have purchased a SPL meter, but my family always ask's me to turn it down whether we are watching a movie together or if they are else where in the house.

Question.

Is it worth the extra $250-$300 for the 20-39PCi+ ?

I have emailed back and forth with Erik at SVS and he recommended the + if I could afford it but I don't know if I could ever use it as intended or because it is more sub than my room can handle.
    Last edited by MillerLiteScott; 10-29-2006 at 04:45 PM.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Member Sales Rating: (11)

while i have never heard a + sub from SVS.. i did own the 20-39PCi for a couple years.. trust me.. it's no wimp of a subwoofer. It hits hard, deep and does rattle the walls. I never bottomed mine out... ever. And i live in a house where i can crank it up.. i did a few times. while the other half was upstairs on his computer.. and it caused the monitor to wig out some times. :p
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert

Member Sales Rating: (1)

I see only a $226 dollar premium for the + model. More power, better driver, only you can decide if your $$$ are worth the upgrade.

Oh yeah, your listening habits will change once you have a real sub. You will suddenly be looking for soundtracks that show off your system regularly. You don't really need the extra oomph for your room size, but I have yet to find a sub that is too much sub for a room, I just turn it down.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Gardner
    I see only a $226 dollar premium for the + model. More power, better driver, only you can decide if your $$$ are worth the upgrade.

Oh yeah, your listening habits will change once you have a real sub. You will suddenly be looking for soundtracks that show off your system regularly. You don't really need the extra oomph for your room size, but I have yet to find a sub that is too much sub for a room, I just turn it down.
    Will a + sub that is designed to play louder perform as well at lower levels as the PCi sub? I guess that is really my question.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by MillerLiteScott
    Will a + sub that is designed to play louder perform as well at lower levels as the PCi sub? I guess that is really my question.
    The better driver may actually be cleaner at any volume level. There is no substitute for quality. Either will do, the plus will just do better.

Thread Information