Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Thumbs up Bought my first car today

So I'm 18 and came home in my first car today. I never expected my first car to be over twice as old as me ;)

It's a 68 that runs quite well and for the most part is in pretty good condition. He also threw in a set of winter stockers with minty chrome hubcaps as well as a fifth empi 8 spoke (for a second spare). Engine is basically stock as I plan to reap the benefits of good gas milage until I build up a cheap 1914 or something. Karman ghia front end with discs. Needs a bit of work but I can do it myself.

Pic 1
    Pic 2

fwiw the pics don't really do the two tone paint justice. It's one of those things that just looks better in person. White headliner and black interior. Very comfy buckets too.

Congrats Michael. A BUG, awesome. I love them. I never owned a car until I was 23. Drive carefully.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Congrats. How many women can you fit in it?

Congrats nothing like your first car.

two and a half? I pity anyone that has to sit in the backseat... My seat is about three inches from touching the bench in the back and I'm not a tall guy (5'8"?).

I wasn't expecting a smooth ride but wow is this thing ever bumpy. It rides worse than my brothers' canned 95 del sol :o All part of the fun though. I'm both happy and amazed it clears the four sets of speed bumps I need to get past to park it everday.

I know how everbody remembers their first car. Hopefully this will be a unique and fun way to get into the money pit of owning a car. I looked at my budget and decided I didn't want to go the 89 civic hunker route so I chose to go for the beater with a bit of cool factor (if bugs do happen to tickle your fancy - most either love em or hate them). So far it's been a blast to drive!
    Last edited by michael_w; 11-20-2006 at 01:22 AM.

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

Thumbs up

Excellent! Enjoy the bug!

Member Sales Rating: (11)

fun stuff.. enjoy!

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Kewl.....the wheels and two tone give it a nice look.

Be sure to check if the heat tubes are leak free, you're going to need all you can get outta them. :)
    'Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

The heater channels are actually in pretty good condition. There is one small quarter sized hole in the drivers side channel, but it shouldn't be too difficult to cut out and weld a patch back in considering one of my best friends is a C ticket welder. I'll probably be replacing the heater boxes as well since the ones now are stuck open. We'll see about that but in any case the guy threw in a bunch of parts (including new heater boxes) that he never ended up throwing into the car. I'd rather stay away from replacing the whole channel since it's a ton of work and I risk damaging things when it involves so much grinding and welding, but we'll see. At least I live in Vancouver where our summers top out at 85 degrees and winters that bearly dip below freezing.

After I finish this LSi9 deal I may just have to venture over and talk to our 12 volt friends to pick their brains on a good deck and some mounting options. Maybe a pair of custom side pods??

More pics coming tomorrow.
    Last edited by michael_w; 11-20-2006 at 04:10 AM.

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Wow, an old bug. Haha, congrats.

Hope you're good with a wrench.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

cool car guy, enjoy. My first ride was a 78 Chevy Malibu Classic, got it when I was 16, wow, time does fly when youre having fun.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Congratulations! You'll NEVER forget that ride - "firsts" are like that.

I'd recommend grabbing a Haynes manual as well.

Have fun!!

Chris
    HT Rig
    Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl - Anthem 2 SE
    Polk CSi5 - Adcom 555
    Polk Monitor 30 - HK DPR1005
    SVS PB12 ISD/2
    Denon DCD-1500II
    Sony SXRD 60"
    ShengYa CS-10

Basement Rig
    Polk SDA SRS2
    Carver 1.5t
    Carver C2
    Technics SLD202
    Some Other Sony DVD/CDP

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Congrats!!!! Sweet ride. My first car was also a 68...only 10 years old at the time. It was a Rambler American...I can vouch they were built like TANKS!!!!!

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (4)

The advantage to that car is, if you get a flat and dont have a jack, you can just have a buddy lift the car up!

My dad put one in the back of a U-Haul truck to move across the country (don't try it, U-Haul doesn't like that...) in the 70's. He just got a couple of people to help him get it out :D
    Ludicrous gibs!

Member Sales Rating: (17)

You'll have a lot of fun building up that car. You'd be amazed at what can be done with old Bugs. They can be pretty quick with just 120 hp or so. They are also cheap to build up, too.

Have fun and Congrats!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (8)

Great first ride. I learned to drive a manual transmission in a Bug. You could change gears and never use the clutch. It was Cheryl Trudeau's and she was one hot girl. Great memories in a Bug. My next door neighbor has restored a couple and has a bright yellow 1971 "Super Beetle" now.

Have fun!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Congrats!

I'd take an old Bug over one of dem there new-fangled ones any day of the week..

You'll be able to ride that thing to Armageddon.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Quote Originally Posted by zombie boy 2000
    I'd take an old Bug over one of dem there new-fangled ones any day of the week..
    Not me. While the old Bugs have a certain mystique about them...the New Beetles are just a great car. My youngest has one and it really is a nice ride. 80,000 + miles and it is reliable, fun to drive with a decent amount of power and good handling suspension. The Bugs had 1 and 2 but definitely not 3 and 4!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Please don't put "new VW" and "reliable" in the same post, let alone the same SENTENCE.

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    Please don't put "new VW" and "reliable" in the same post, let alone the same SENTENCE.
    So tell me then, why have we had no problems with our VW? I am recounting my experience, not yours.
    Last edited by shack; 11-20-2006 at 11:28 AM.

Not everyone has problems, obviously. But if a car is 50% likely to fail, I wouldn't say that's a good ratio, but half of the people who own them would think they're great. I'd still say that's a bad track record though, wouldn't you?

My dad works in the industry, he spends most days talking to mechanics, and he says the MOST negative things he hears about any car is about the VWs. Even the mechanics AT THE VW dealer say they would never own one. Add to that my personal experience with one, and I feel pretty confident in my opinion.

But your opinion is equally valid; if it's workin for you, it's one of the most fun cars to drive.

Besides the Beetle, I've owned a GLI. Neither had any mechanical problems other than nomal day to day wear and tear. The Beetle probably is close to 90K now and I sold the GLI with 111K. My experiences have been good.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

Congrats Michael!
    Passed aircare?

regards

Dave
    Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately it kills all its students.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

But your opinion is equally valid; if it's workin for you, it's one of the most fun cars to drive.
    no truer words spoken. anyone that drives a jetta of nearly any year cant believe how well they handle, but there reliability numbers are shockingly bad. its a shame, because reliability aside, there cool cars.

Shack, you probably care for your cars very well, hence any reliability issues have a far less chance of surfacing. I dont know if the bugs were most of the problems anyway recently, I think the Jettas and possible the Passats were the ones taking the beating, could be wrong though
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Congrats on your new Herbie I mean VW Michael! First cars are always memorable. My first car was a 1963 Mercury Comet very similiar to the attached:
    Attached Images  
    Carl

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Congrats on your first car Michael! Bugs are Kewl.

You old timers remember the Eberspacher Gas Heater for the VW? I recall an old ad for one... "If you buy this and don't know what you're doing, you will burn alive in a Beetle-ball of flame." :D
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (3)

The VW is a great car to learn mechanics with. I love VW's and they were designed by F Porsche himself. I learned alot fixing them over the many years. I currently have a 1956 bug. IMHO the best year was 1967 because they went with 12V, real strong chrome bumpers and still had the King Pin front end. I owned a 67 for 20 years and never needed to rebiuld the engine.

Change the engine oil every 3000 miles and check the transmission oil for any leaks.

Photo of my 64 365 sc.

Have blast.

Peter
    Attached Images  

webdude
    Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congrats on the new ride! My wife's cousin has an old bug and he does the maintenance on it to keep it running. He's used the proverbial baling wire and bubble gum to keep it going.

I learned to drive in a '67 Buick Electra 225, dang, that hood was the size of my driveway. My first car was a POS Vauxhall I picked up in England when I was a young GI, it leaked all the oil and seized up.

Not everyone has problems, obviously. But if a car is 50% likely to fail, I wouldn't say that's a good ratio, but half of the people who own them would think they're great. I'd still say that's a bad track record though, wouldn't you?

My dad works in the industry, he spends most days talking to mechanics, and he says the MOST negative things he hears about any car is about the VWs. Even the mechanics AT THE VW dealer say they would never own one. Add to that my personal experience with one, and I feel pretty confident in my opinion.

Bobman, you're back on track and setting a trend...Modern
    VW's of the past few years were known to have electrical problems. My sister had a sweet Jetta that preceded the current body style. Very ergonomic and all the knobs and levers had a very tactile feel. The shifter on that car was smoother than my 98 Prelude.

Around 50,000 miles, it started doing crazy things like opening and closing the windows/sunroof without input from my sister. I consulted with a mechanic I knew who worked on imports and he said "sell it as fast as you can." He even called another import place with a great reputation and they told him North American (Mexico) made VW's had problems while European built units didn't. At the time, the only ones built overseas were the Passats. Anyhow, don't know very current issues. I hope VW decides to manufacture the VW microbuses I saw previewed a few years back. Maybe I missed the memo...

Back to your reguarly scheduled thread....
    UNIVERA
    Historic Charleston SC

2 Channel:
    SDA-SRS's RDO tweets
    Biamped Anthem 2 SE's w/1970's NOS Siemens CCA's
    Anthem Pre 2L w/E.harmonix platinum matched 6H23's
    CDP- NAD C 542

HT setup:
    AVR: NAD T 773
    Rears: Polk LC80i
    DVD: Toshiba 3109 dual tray
    Subs: Velodyne and M&K
    T.V.: Sony KDL-52XBR4 w/Vans Evers Clean Line Jr.
    Conditioner: Panamax M5100EX

[B]Master Bedroom Sony 40KDL-XBR3

"I love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, The A-Team

Spaceman Spiff
    Member Sales Rating: (22)

Congrats! My first car at 17 was a Datsun 310 GX...just like this one but white.

After that, I went too trucks, several Toyota 4x4s then to a Ford F150 then a Chevy Silverado and lastly, a Tahoe. But now, I'm back to small and love it. I don't think I'll ever go back to big. Just bought my first MC back in May...I've never had this much fun behind the wheel.

Again, congrats and enjoy the ride, better yet, enjoy all the modding and tweaking you'll do.
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.

Thread Information