Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Tube Buffer or Tube CD Player

I'm considering adding a tube buffer to my Oppo DVD player. I'd like to use the DVD player as a good CD player; otherwise, I'd buy another tube CDP. However, if I can get essentially the same type of sound through a tube buffer on the DVD player, I'd rather go that route.

Anyone ever use a tube buffer? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

Never used one, but I could see the merits. If it (the oppo) does a good job with CD's then I say go for it.
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Early... not necessarily from personal experience, but from reading on other forums...

A tube buffer (like the one offered by Musical Fidelity) will have more of an impact than a tube CDP. But I'm just the messenger here.
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Member Sales Rating: (7)

If you're only interested in the CD capability, I'd suggest a separate tube CD player. The MF tube buffer works best with its dedicated power supply, and you'd need an additional pair of interconnects, so getting a separate CD player turns out to be cost effective in comparison. If you're interested in using the Oppo as a universal (CD, SACD, DVD-A) two-channel player, I'd suggest the tube buffer. Modified tubed universal players start around $3K and up.
    1. JM Labs Electra 920.1 and CC30; MB Quart Vera Sub; Pioneer SC-57; Squeezebox Touch; Panasonic BDT-500 Blu-Ray; Samsung 52" LCD; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S3 cables
    2. Polk SDA-SRS 2.3TL; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 SE; Classe Model 25; Marantz SA8004; Acoustech PH1P; Squeezebox Touch; Music Hall MMF7; PS Audio P1000; MIT S2 cables
    3. Polk SDA 2A; Parasound Halo JC-2 and A21; Musical Fidelity X-DAC; Squeezebox Touch; PS Audio 4.7; MIT S1 cables

Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn
    If you're interested in using the Oppo as a universal (CD, SACD, DVD-A) two-channel player, I'd suggest the tube buffer.
    Thanks.

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to do -- use my DVD player as a CD player. Right now the DVD player sounds OK with CDs, but I'd like to get an improved sopund for not a lot of cash or extra components.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Also consider a tube DAC. I know that I like my tube cdp a lot. With that said, I've heard nothing but good things about the MF tube buffer. The cool thing about it, is that it can be put between any of your components, with between the source and pre and between the pre and amp as the most popular places for it.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Just ordered a MF tube buffer. Will let you know how it sounds.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    Thanks.

Yeah, this is what I'm trying to do -- use my DVD player as a CD player. Right now the DVD player sounds OK with CDs, but I'd like to get an improved sopund for not a lot of cash or extra components.
    I have seen the MF tube buffer in retail locations, but have never heard it in use. How would a tube buffer improve the line level output from the player? Did you consider the addition of an external DAC for your CD sources?

Quote Originally Posted by jm1
    Did you consider the addition of an external DAC for your CD sources?
    Yeah, but since a decent tube DAC and tube CDP cost about the same, I'd go for the CDP. A tube buffer is a lot less expensive and will hopefully give me what I'm looking for.

Member Sales Rating: (5)

can you put a link to that tube buffer? I aslo have an Oppo and have been quite impressed with it's CD playback quality. not refeence, but surprisingly good. Hooked to my Outlaw in the theater with Nordost interconnects yielded great results for 2 channel listening through the LSi's.
    Theater - Polk LSi15, LSiC, LSi9 speaks, DIY Sub (142.5L box, SVS plus driver, 500 Watt plate amp)...Outlaw 990 pre/pro, Carver TFM45, 2 X Outlaw M200 . Rotel RB980 . PS3, Monster 3600 power center

2 Channel -
    Anthem Pre 2l, Jolida JD100 CD player, CAL Sigma DAC, Carver m4.0, Polk LSi9 w external modified Crossovers (thanks Trey!)

I was rather impressed with my Oppo player's CD playback as well....

HDCD is icing on the cake

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Just ordered a MF tube buffer. Will let you know how it sounds.
    I tried the MF tube buffer in line with my OPPO player & NAD receiver. I gave it a good workout for about 3 weeks & to me it really didn't do anything. I wound up sending it back. But your doing the right thing by giving it a shot in your system. You might just love what it does for you. The OPPO now is just for HT duty. And I also agree that the OPPO does do a very good job on CD playback. I've since moved on & added a few more pieces to my 2 channel system. I should be getting my Ultra DAC any day now from AVA. Hopefully that will put an end to my 2 channel quest. Just like you with not buying anymore speakers!!!! LOL By the way they are some fine speakers you picked up Early!! Enjoy!!
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 / 5 channel amp
    Rotel RMB-1075 / 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Equitech Balanced Power Son of Q 1.5R
    Extensive room treatments

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    Hopefully that will put an end to my 2 channel quest.

HAHAHAHAHA......good one Phil :D

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote

Quote Originally Posted by pearsall001
    I tried the MF tube buffer in line with my OPPO player & NAD receiver. I gave it a good workout for about 3 weeks & to me it really didn't do anything. I wound up sending it back.
    I think I know why the MF tube buffer didn't work very well for you -- the signal is still running through the receiver, so the sonic signature is not going to change dramatically. I'm expecting to get the same results you did.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I'm considering adding a tube buffer to my Oppo DVD player. I'd like to use the DVD player as a good CD player; otherwise, I'd buy another tube CDP. However, if I can get essentially the same type of sound through a tube buffer on the DVD player, I'd rather go that route.

Anyone ever use a tube buffer? Is it worth it?

Thanks.
    I own a Musical Fidelity X-10 v3, i bought it before i had owned any tube preamplifiers to see what tubes would sound like in my audio chain. i tried it both between the cd and the preamplifier and between the SS preamplifier and the power amplifiers. to my ears it sounded better between the preamplifier and power amplifiers but i am sure this is subjective and a matter of preference and it would be totally system dependant. thanks....WCW III :)
    JAS Audio Bravo 2.3 SE Single ended Class A Tube Integrated Amplifier Svetlana 6C33-B triodes @ 18 wpc-Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC W-LME49990 op amps w Siemens 12AU7 -Black Cat Morpheus cables -Silverline Audio Sonata III

Thread Information