Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Default To those of you that remember me getting fired...

Well, I have been interviewing for new jobs and I finally had an offer made to me that I couldn't refuse.

Company: Gillette

Job: Converting their entire network from the Windows 2000 picture over to the Proctor & Gamble Windows XP picture. Rebuilding employees computers and also managing the ordering of new PC's and parts.

Location: 45 minute drive in rush hour traffic back and forth daily

Pay: An offer I couldn't refuse.;) + 1 week paid vacation eligible from day 1

Overall, despite the rough daily drive I look foward to starting the position and they aren't sure whether or not I will be starting before or after Christmas. There are two buildings next to each other and I will have an office in each building

Glad im done with the junk removal business :)

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Hey, that sounds like a pretty neat job. Two offices? Shoot...now you're gonna need to put together two office rigs! :p
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

yea, they claim that having two offices is needed so I don't need to lug PC equipment between buildings and they like to have all the extra parts and stuff locked up.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Congrats Bagged! I know thats an awesome feeling.

WOW, they're all on Win2k. How many users will you be supporting? Looks like a big job ahead of you, but steady work that will keep you busy for a long time.

From one IT dude to the next....have fun!

John
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Based off the what I learned in the interview, there is a couple hundred people in each building, each with 1-4 computers(depending on the job, and almost everyone has a desktop and a laptop). PG's timeframe is stating 3 months to complete the job, the manager who interviewed me said it can't be done in that timeframe and hes looking at 5-6 months.

Despite doing these conversion, I will also be doing the routine stuff like repairing employees computers, updating software, ordering them new equipment(everyone seems to want an LCD monitor these days, or 2)

I really can't wait to start as I have never had a job that paid even half of what my offer was and now that I am in the home stretch of college I am hoping to continue employment after I graduate and while going for my MBA.

Member Sales Rating: (1)

WTG! Congratulations!
    Sunfire TGP III PrePro, Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature 405wpc 5 ch. Amp, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, Boston PV-600 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Quote Originally Posted by cfrizz
    WTG! Congratulations!
    Thanks! You're from boston, you know the 95 traffic daily :)

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Congrats. Now get to work! :)

Member Sales Rating: (17)

Don't worry abou the drive. You'll eventually love the alone time. It allows you the time to get woke up in the morning and the time to unwind in the evening. I know...I did it for years.

CONGRATS!!!
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"

Member Sales Rating: (14)

Quite a job for not even out of college. Good luck man.

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedLancer
    Thanks! You're from boston, you know the 95 traffic daily :)

I hear that. I have to drive on the northern part of 128, which is pretty awful, but I woudln't want to be anywhere near where Gillette is. What town do you live in? The Gillette complex is in Boston, so it's not taking you 45 mins to get there from within Boston :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Great excuse to upgrade the car stereo to make the commute better.

Member Sales Rating: (47)

congratulations
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)

Congratulations! I've been in IT for about 10 years, and now an IT manager in a $600m+ company. Here's my advice, and while it will seem simple, give it some thought. Technical advice/ opinions you can get anywhere.

Be nice to people! Most people don't care why their computers work or don't work, all they know is they're about to miss their deadline, that spreadsheet they spent 10 hours on just disappeared, they have a sales proposal they HAVE to get to the customer, etc. The list goes on. Just the same as most people drop their car off at the mechanic, they want it fixed, and don't want the details of an internal combustion engine.

They know accounting, or the ins and outs of tax law, or how to engineer X type of product. I don't know about you, but I don't know diddly about accounting, and I don't want to. Don't talk down to them or confuse them with nerd lingo. We all have our part in the puzzle.

All too often I see technical people become very user-unfriendly. We're employed because of them, not despite them. My money is companies, especially large ones, value interpersonal skills very highly.

My 2 cents. Good luck! :)

BTW: Ditto to what PolkThug said. I drive about 45 minutes to an hour each way, and its a great excuse to have a good car rig. The 6500's rock!
    Work is the curse of the drinking class

Quote Originally Posted by bobman1235
    Quite a job for not even out of college. Good luck man.

I hear that. I have to drive on the northern part of 128, which is pretty awful, but I woudln't want to be anywhere near where Gillette is. What town do you live in? The Gillette complex is in Boston, so it's not taking you 45 mins to get there from within Boston :)

I am actually living in an in-law apartment up in North Reading in my parents so I can try and save some money.

Commute will be Exit 40 to exit 19a DAILY :(

It is worth it though.

There is 3 Gillette complexes. One in Boston, one in Andover, and mine, which is in Needham.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkThug
    Great excuse to upgrade the car stereo to make the commute better.

My old gear from my Lancer going in, while it's not Polk, it still sounds great, and it's free(I already paid for it last year :) )

Kicker 1200.1 and 2 Kicker S10L7(square subs)

Quote Originally Posted by dylan
    Congratulations! I've been in IT for about 10 years, and now an IT manager in a $600m+ company. Here's my advice, and while it will seem simple, give it some thought. Technical advice/ opinions you can get anywhere.

Be nice to people! Most people don't care why their computers work or don't work, all they know is they're about to miss their deadline, that spreadsheet they spent 10 hours on just disappeared, they have a sales proposal they HAVE to get to the customer, etc. The list goes on. Just the same as most people drop their car off at the mechanic, they want it fixed, and don't want the details of an internal combustion engine.

They know accounting, or the ins and outs of tax law, or how to engineer X type of product. I don't know about you, but I don't know diddly about accounting, and I don't want to. Don't talk down to them or confuse them with nerd lingo. We all have our part in the puzzle.

All too often I see technical people become very user-unfriendly. We're employed because of them, not despite them. My money is companies, especially large ones, value interpersonal skills very highly.

My 2 cents. Good luck! :)

BTW: Ditto to what PolkThug said. I drive about 45 minutes to an hour each way, and its a great excuse to have a good car rig. The 6500's rock!
    Thanks for the advice, people tell me they have no idea what I am talking about all the time......ill work on my user-friendly wording.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Right on Dylan!

You said it! Interpersonal skills are such a huge skill to have.

Case in point...

About 30 minutes ago, I had to swing around to a user to get them setup in Outlook and the electronic time collection system. They sit down and I tell them to login. They give me the deer in the headlights look and ask how they do that. I said, hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and enter your login credentials. Again, the deer in the headlights.

This is an older retired gentleman who took a job in the maintenance department. He knows ZERO about computers. I just graciously offered a little tutorial on how to do a few things and he smiled and was all thanks!

We look at computers with the greatest of ease. People like that...you might as well be talking chinese.

I've been in it about 4 years now and am at a Systems Admin level, but bounce around with helpdesk also. Smile and always be helpful.

Have fun too!

BTW, my commute is about 40 minutes. I love XM radio!

John
    I'm not saying she's a slut, but if her vagina had a password...it would be password.

Member Sales Rating: (28)

Congrats!!! That's a company you'd want to stay working for and make a career....

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA

Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman

Member Sales Rating: (6)

So, is this new route to work gonna put you ridin' by a post office? A post office that just might be willing to ship records?

;)
    Quote Originally Posted by George Grand View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstas View Post
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    My Saga
    Equipment Pictures

[2CH]
    Rotel RCD-02
    Yamaha KX-W900U
    Sony ST-S500ES
    Denon DP-7F
    Parasound P/HP-850
    Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-35

[In Storage]
    Yamaha CDR-HD1300
    ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII

[Car System]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP
    Memphis 16-MCA3004
    Boston Acoustic RC520

Banned

Congrats BL!!!! If they give you the option start after Christmas take it (if you can afford it) so you can enjoy your family and friends and yourself probably for the last time in a long while.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad

Case in point...

About 30 minutes ago, I had to swing around to a user to get them setup in Outlook and the electronic time collection system. They sit down and I tell them to login. They give me the deer in the headlights look and ask how they do that. I said, hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE and enter your login credentials. Again, the deer in the headlights.

This is an older retired gentleman who took a job in the maintenance department. He knows ZERO about computers. I just graciously offered a little tutorial on how to do a few things and he smiled and was all thanks!

We look at computers with the greatest of ease. People like that...you might as well be talking chinese.

I've been in it about 4 years now and am at a Systems Admin level, but bounce around with helpdesk also. Smile and always be helpful.

Have fun too!

John
    Being in a customer and technical support roll, all my life, I can tell you that your above stated formula can't be taught, you either have it in you or you don't, those that do, have happy, forgiving customers and peers those that don't are in a state of constant flux and turmoil.

If nothing else, ALWAYS SMILE when you are in the presence of customers, even the most jaded or angry customer can't resist a good smile. . . it takes their edge off and makes them more receptive to you.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Bad

Case in point...

Have fun too!

BTW, my commute is about 40 minutes. I love XM radio!

John
    From the standpoint of an empolyer, what you did is looked upon as going above the call and is what changes a person from just another worker to an asset. I don't care what you do for a living, "people skills" are your best tool and will set you apart from everyone else.It will also get you noticed when it comes time to promote someone.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Congrats Baggedlancer! My father-in-law used to work for Gillette in the Prudential Center. Nice location. I hear ya about Boston traffic! Yikes! Where do you live?
    Carl

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Congrats, BaggedLancer!! Sounds like a great job.

Quote Originally Posted by audiobliss
    So, is this new route to work gonna put you ridin' by a post office? A post office that just might be willing to ship records?

;)

One of these days........;)

Quote Originally Posted by schwarcw
    Congrats Baggedlancer! My father-in-law used to work for Gillette in the Prudential Center. Nice location. I hear ya about Boston traffic! Yikes! Where do you live?

I live just north of boston now. I used to live right in Boston at Northeastern where I go to school, but now that I commute I save about $13.000-$15.000 a year in rent, utilities, food, parking, etc.

Hearingimpared.....im on the edge of when to start, if I could start before Christmas I would prefer it but I think I can hold out till after :)

HTrookie.....my thoughts exactly. I know quite a few people who retired from Gillette and are living VERY nicely.

Congrats on the job. I work in IT as well and it sounds like a great gig and I wish you the best of luck. A big company like Gillette is good to get into and im sure you will do great!

The Gillette facility in Andover? I work right next door to that one...
    all the best,
    mrh

I wish andover, next town over from me.

I'll be working in Needham

Thread Information