Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Side Business?

Member Sales Rating: (9)

I make a little extra on the side buying and selling audio on eBay. Not a huge amount, just enough to buy a few pieces for me each year. I made enough in 2007 to buy a plasma tv. I'd do more but running the e-zine takes up enough time as a hobby.
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Member Sales Rating: (55)

During the week I sell dope, and on weekends I dabble in selling children into slavery. I'm looking to get into ivory and rhino horn, so if anybody hears anything ........

Member Sales Rating: (1)

computer repair, Heavy Equipment and Diesel Engine Repairing as well.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!! !

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/show...p?userid=73580

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I don't need a side business....
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

Member Sales Rating: (3)

I don't want one. As a matter of fact I went to college so I wouldn't have to have one anymore. Nights/weekends are wife time, or golf time, or just sitting around the house watching a blu-ray time.

Although I did work at a cigar store on Sundays back in Va. (mostly for the discount and good conversation), which was really fun. 4 or 5 guys shooting the sh1t, smoking and drinking all day. Now that was a fun side job...
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Old Polk
    Member Sales Rating: (10)

Quote Originally Posted by shack View Post
    I don't need a side business....
    Me either, and I consider myself very fortunate. My "side business" is raising kids to (hopefully) be happy, loving, and responsible adults. I guess I won't introduce them to "Uncle George" anytime soon! :D
    • Innersound Eros MK III hybrid ESL - Innersound Bass/Active Crossover amp - Sanders Sound ESL amp
    • SVS PB12-Ultra/2 sub
    • PS Audio GCP-200 preamp w/external PS
    • Bluenote Bellavista table w/Sig.5 arm and Dynavector 20-x - The Clamp - PS Audio GCPH
    • Wadia 301 CD transport - Schiit Gungnir DAC
    • MIT Shotgun S1 IC's and speaker cables
    • PS Audio P3 Power Plant
    • Panasonic 58" plasma - Denon 3805 - PS Audio GCA-250 - Revel Ultima Gems and LE1/Sub15

Member Sales Rating: (39)

If you spent a lot of your time on the computer when you're home anyway, just briefly check out Agon, do localized searches on ebay, check the local craigslist to see what audio gear is out there. If something is way underpriced and you have the room for it, grab it.

I've been able to sustain some audio upgrades by flipping some audio gear here and there for profit. Plus, you get to learn more about audio, play with some cool new gear, and meet other audiophiles in the process. Won't change your lifestyle, but will help to atleast offset your audio purchases. You already know what is valuable in the audio world, how to make sure it's in good condition, what it takes to post something for sale, and how to ship it properly to the buyer.

Just stay away from the Polk Audio Forum FM, you have to give stuff away to make a sale there :)

I think Shack and JFlail get were I'm coming from and I understand their position. I certainly don't want to give up another 40 hrs a month to make an extra $800 in my pocket.

If I were to pick up any side job, it would either:

1). Have to be a blast and totally on my schedule as to when and where I work
    or
    2). Pay a crazy rate that you'd be a moron to pass it up. I'm thing around $100-$150/hr might work....

Now if I were living paycheck to paycheck and a kid on the way, well, that's a different story.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin

Member Sales Rating: (36)

I spend some of my spare time outside law school and audio to volunteer at a hospital supported by my fraternity. I'm not making any money, but it's an investment in Karma and makes me feel good. It may also prove lawyers can have a soul.

SS: I do some of the same stuff, volunteer at the church, work for Habitat and coach Youth Soccer and Hockey (Even though I don't have kids involved). Mostly because it's just fun. More fun than I'd have at a job. ;)

Keep it up!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Well, this thread is 5 years old, but I never forgot about it. I finally have a side business going. Actually had enough going last year that I needed to pay attention to taxes and decided this year I was going to step it up. New logo....

Name:  company version 1 (non-editable web-ready file).jpg
Views: 204
Size:  22.1 KB

Member Sales Rating: (17)

No time for a side job, been working 80 to 100 hours a week the past couple months. It's been so crazy!!!!!
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    With new Exotic wood, Sonicaps, Mills & RDO198's - Born on 4-24-1989 and Signed by Matthew Polk!!!!

My Polk SDA SRS 1.2TL's http://www.LASAREATH.com/

It All Started here: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath2

Part Deux: http://tinyurl.com/lasareath3

Car Stereo---->http://www.salsleaf.com/leaf_stereo/index.htm<---- NEW for 2013

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Nice Shelby! I've been wondering a similar thing and ended up cheating and working a part-time version of my main job 10ish hours a week...

Am I allowed to ask what you came up with? I have an idea because I think I've had a similar thought if I'm implying your company name accurately..

Jason
    2-Channel - So far...
    Pre: Dodd ELP
    DAC: W4S-Dac2
    Source(s): Computer and Denon 2910
    Amp: Parasound HCA-1200II
    Speakers: LSi9s - Vr3 Fortress Mod

Member Sales Rating: (2)

I have started doing my photography business part time. If things go well I hope to be doing it full time within the next two years. A few weddings a year is a nice little extra amount of cash in my pocket.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

I've been wanting to start my own business for some time now. No money to invest is the kicker.

I do brain surgery on the side. Need a cheap lobotomy? Give me a call and get the special Club Polk rate.
    Name:  doc.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  10.7 KB

I've done a bit of freelance technical writing and editing, which is what my profession is for my career. However, with my growing family and long commute to and from work, I've not done much with it lately.

saw this thread pop back up so thought I would revisit myself. Since 2006 I have been doing the same (not so much car stuff though) I'm in a different state as of 2008 and as of 6 months ago I partnered with a general contractor and am designing/selling/install A/V while learning some construction trade at the same time. I now am able to build a custom A/V system and fix my drywall cuts and such. Someone wants to build a HT room I can cover it from start to finish no need to call another company I got you. Been good so far and working for my self is much nicer. I have found I have a bit more free time and a bit more $$ than working for someone else.
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Adcom GFA 7500
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2

Well I also agree with polrbehr because cleaning business is a one of those business which need little investment and give you more benefits. Like a good amount of profit. You just have to do some efforts to clean the place. and I hope your investment will return back in few years.
    ★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •

Mowing. I currently have four yards besides mine, within five minutes of my house. I'm not rolling in it by any means, but the extra 400-500 a month is nice, 'mad money'!

Quote Originally Posted by codyc1ark View Post
    Mowing. I currently have four yards besides mine, within five minutes of my house. I'm not rolling in it by any means, but the extra 400-500 a month is nice, 'mad money'!

Now that's the ticket, cash...unreportable income.

For my situation, it would have to be a cash business. Anything that raises my reported income puts me into a new tax bracket which sucks. Tell you what, the first time you have to write a 10g check to the IRS at the end of the year changes your perspective.

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by tonyb View Post
    Now that's the ticket, cash...unreportable income.

For my situation, it would have to be a cash business. Anything that raises my reported income puts me into a new tax bracket which sucks. Tell you what, the first time you have to write a 10g check to the IRS at the end of the year changes your perspective.
    My friend, you need more write-offs if you need to send Uncle that much... LOL

Wow, someone actually agreed with me, five years after?! I'm lucky I get 5 minutes after. I remember this thread, pretty amazing how much time hs gone by. FWIW, my biz is still going strong, though I farm out a lot more work these days.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/

Very interesting thread.

By day, I'm a database administrator. I'm also a writer and partner in a publishing business where I do copy editing and e-book formatting. I also built the website for our business.

Don't underestimate the amount of money necessary to start a business, even an Internet-based business. There's software, hardware, web hosting fees, other service fees, and so on.

Member Sales Rating: (6)

Realestate agent can also be a good choice, and relatively inexpensive to get your license.

Transport: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD (flac)
    DAC/Preamp: Benchmark DAC/PRE
    Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A
    Speakers: Harbeth Compact 7ES-3 Monitor
    Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75

My side business is actually my primary business this time of year. I make trophies, medals, plaques and other various awards for a lot of the local high schools. This is the time of year they have their recognition banquets so it's been crazy the past two weeks.

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    My side business is actually my primary business this time of year. I make trophies, medals, plaques and other various awards for a lot of the local high schools. This is the time of year they have their recognition banquets so it's been crazy the past two weeks.
    You make trophies ?

Guess you won't be making one for any Canadian hockey teams this year.

Just messin' with ya.......

Ironically I know/care little about sports so I'm afraid that went over my head. I just build what the coaches tell me to build and engrave what they want engraved (with spelling corrections, naturally).

Here's an example of my recent work:

RT-12, CS350-LS, PSW-300, Infinity Overture 1, Monoprice RC-65i
    Adcom GFA-545II, GFA-6000, Outlaw Audio 990, Netgear NeoTV
    Denon DCM-460, DMD-1000, Sony BDP-360, Bravia KDL-40Z4100/S
    Monster AVL-300, HTS-2500 MKII

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Quote Originally Posted by polrbehr View Post
    Wow, someone actually agreed with me, five years after???
    Don't read too much into it. He's new and doesn't know you like we do.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

Use to customize xbox 360s and the controllers. Was a decent business, but never grew big enough to make more than 5 jobs
    Receiver: Denon 1912
    Speakers:
    Fronts: Polk Audio Monitor 70s (x2)
    Rears: Polk Audio Monitor 50 (x2)
    Center: Polk Audio Monitor 70
    KLH Sub GFX-550

Member Sales Rating: (9)

When I still lived in Denver, I worked in my dad's pharmacy on Saturday's to pay for wife/son's Christmas and summer trip. Laid tile for my brother during summers. Later, went back to work for an old boss selling oak furniture. Once I moved to Portland, just tutoring on occassion and odd jobs. **Summer honey-do list not included**
    Staff Member TONEAudio[SIZE="1"]
    Blogger Site_ smallspacesaudio
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    2 Ch. System
    SimAudio Moon i7 int. amp
    MacBook/PureMusic/iTunes,1.5 TB hd
    SimAudio 300D DAC,
    Harbeth Compact 7es3 Spkrs
    Magnepan1.6 w/SkiingNinja x-overs
    Rega RP1 w/Ortofon Super OM40
    SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Additional Gear:
    ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom3, Virtue Audio int. amp, Vista Audio Int. amp, iPod 160 gig

Thread Information