Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Merry Christmas to Me !!!!

Just ordered the new SVS SB-12 sub in Rosenut to go with my Magnepan 1.6QR's :) Can't wait to try it out and add a little enhancement to the low end! I'll probably need some advice/guidance from the forum because I haven't ever tried to seriously integrate a sub into a 2 ch system. Ron at SVS is pretty confident it will do a better job than the Martin Logan Grotto and REL Strata I have previously borrowed and tried out.

I guess now I better finish shopping for the "other" kids in the family :o
    DKG999
    -----------------------------------------
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Congrats Doug.............another thing to hear when we get together.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Yep, I will need a little help with the set-up! I just want to get it reasonably integrated into the apartment setup. I'm on the hunt for a new place in the Belvidere area, however it may take a few months to find the right place and also get the sale of the house in Genoa wrapped up. Doug.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC

Member Sales Rating: (12)

Good for you Doug! You been good all year, right? :D
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's
    Krell KSL Class A Pre w/ KSL Phono
    Krell Class A KSA-250
    Harmonic Technology Pro 9+
    Squeezebox Touch / Welborne Labs PS / I2S Out Mod
    Denon 3910 w/I2S/DSD Out
    Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC
    Sennheiser HD650
    Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive
    AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm
    Dynavector 17D3
    Shunyata Hydra (Original)
    NHT B-12d subs
    GIK Acoustic Treatments

CP Showcase

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Belvidere, eh? We were planning on moving there! We wouldve been neighbors!

Joey
    Joey's College Gear:
    Current Gear:
    SB3 -> PS Audio DAC III -> Cary Audio SLP-98Phono Tube PreAmp w/ Sylvania NOS 6sn7 tubes -> Plinius SA102 Class A amp -> Martin Logan SUMMIT/Strata Mini -> :D
    Old Gear:
    Martin Logan Vantage (4.75/5)-ML Mosaic (4.25/5)-Onix Ref1 (3.7/5)-Sonus Faber Concerto (3.5/5)-SF Concertino (3/5)-Axiom M22ti (2.75/5)-Polk LSi9 (3.75/5)-LSi7 (3.25/5)-HK AVR330-Rotel RC1070/RB1070/RB1090-SVS 25-31PC+ sub
    RUSH Med School 2008!!:D

Member Sales Rating: (10)

Congrats. I am interested on your thoughts of this thing. I have yet to hear the SVS sealed subs.

Joey_V - I think in another thread you said you were from Huntley? I go by there when I go into my office in Schaumburg. Fortunately I can work from home a couple of day per week, so the commute isn't too bad. If I can't find a place I like in the Belvidere area, I am also looking in the Woodstock area.

I'll post a review when I get the new sub hooked up and have a chance to listen and play with it for a while. Hopefully it will be here next week.
    DKG999

SComp - I have been a very good boy this year :D
    DKG999

Yippee! My new sub will be here on Wednesday :)
    DKG999

Stronzo
    Member Sales Rating: (7)

SV out-performing a REL or Logan when it comes to stereo playback? I wont say it can't be done - what do I know? But damn, I've never heard an SV sub that could carry a harmonic tune...

Err, sorry for the stick in the mud post. I'm trying to make it a practice to keep my mouth shut - its a work in progress. Meanwhile, I do hope it works out well for you and can indeed match Rons confidence!

Zero - I have some of your same concerns! SVS is usually pretty straight out in their advice, and with this new sealed box sub they feel it will perform as good or better as the ML and REL sub's I was able to borrow and listen to. Ron @ SVS had no problem with me sending it back if I didn't agree, so I am looking forward to giving it a try. Ron seemed pretty confident it would keep up with the Magnepan's, in fact if I read between the lines of his response I would say that they have already tested it with Magnepans. The few reviews/comments I can find on the new SB12 sub are very positive, so I'm hoping for the best! I've got 45 days to decide if it works or not!
    DKG999

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Congrats DKG. I am holding with my SVS (PB12-PLUS) for HT, but the only sub that will replace my REL for music is another REL.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60

It's here :D :D :D

I've been playing with it for the last hour. First impressions are that it kills the ML Grotto (at $400 more). The bass is quick and tight, definetely doesn't seem to have a problem keeping up with the Maggies! Lots of adjustments, it was pretty quick to get is sounding pretty good. It will take more work to get it just right. Compared to the REL (at twice the price) my initial impression is that it isn't quite as refined in SQ. With that said, the REL was no way near twice as good, so doubling the price is only going to get you marginal improvement.

More info. and pics after I have a while to play with it :)
    DKG999

Member Sales Rating: (2)

Congrats Doug!!
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables

Member Sales Rating: (0)

don't play with it, you'll go blind

Member Sales Rating: (20)

Congrats! You will have fun tweaking it.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.

Thread Information