Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default Using a pair of bookshelfs as a center channel

Got a simple question --

Let's say I wanna hook up a pair of 8 ohm bookshelf speakers to my receiver to use as a center channel. I'd like to hook up one speaker via banana plugs and the other via bare wire through the same set of binding posts on the receiver. Any issues with that setup? Does it turn the speakers into an 4 ohm load? Is there a better way to hook them up?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (3)

It depends on how you hook it up. in parallel it will be 4 ohm in series it would be 16 ohm. I am running a set of polk 4 jrs and as far as a center channel it s not bad at all........just gotta turn it up quite quite aways to get the volume right...
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Member Sales Rating: (40)

What he said.

Why two? Would one not suffice?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Russ -- At one time I used a pair of Buggtussel bookshelfs as a center channel and, IMO, sounded better (i.e., fuller) than a traditional center channel. Looks cool, too.
    Last edited by Early B.; 12-01-2006 at 07:40 AM.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (3)

it kinda simple if you hook up 2 8ohms in series thats 16 ohms now youll have to turn the center channel up significantly to have the right volume. which is ok Im using 4 jrs. A center channel would work but I have mine in a cabinet and it doesnt look right with a wood bar in front of my center channel so I put one 4jr in each cabinet door and wala it looks good and I think its sounds fuller as well.
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Thread Information