Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (24)

Default Subwoofer connection....

Is there a difference in how a sub sounds if you use one mono subwoofer cable ir if you use a set of RCA cables with a Y adapter? Just trying to figure out if I can get better cables, but spend a little less on a mono cable vs. RCA and Y adapter. Thans for your responses.

Shawn
    Shawn
    Pre-Amp: Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
    Amp: B&K AV5000
    Center Channel: Polk LSI C
    Front: Polk LSI 9's
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: Mirage Omni S10
    Television: Samsung LN46B640
    DVD Player: Sony BDP-S1000ES

Member Sales Rating: (8)

I just received a new Better Cable Silver Serpent audio interconnect from SVS for my new 20-39PC+ to replace the Coax cable my brother and I ran through the wall to my sub location. The signal level for the new Better Cable was lower than the run of the mill 75 Ohm coax cable and Radio Shack grade coax to RCA adapters. Seemed a little strange to me but now that I have re-calibrated the LFE SQ seems better.

To answer your question a single cable should be fine because( I believe ) that LFE is both channels combined into one because low frequency is non directional.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D

Thanks Scott (even though you apparently drink Miller Lite). I had the same thoughts, but wanted to make sure before I spent the money. Thanks again for the input.

BudLightShawn
    Shawn

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Shawn, yes there's a difference, but it isn't significant in most cases. When voltage is fed into both inputs on your E250 it's slightly louder than if only one input is fed, but the same thing results with a single connection by setting the sub output on the receiver slightly higher. Most receiver sub outputs(including your DA5ES)have more than enough voltage output capability, so it isn't anything to be concerned about. Use one cable into either the L or R input(they're combined inside the sub)and set the switch to LFE, which bypasses the sub's internal crossover and lets the receiver do the crossover without interference.

As far as the cost of the cable, there's no good reason for spending more than what MonoPrice , for example, has available. Don't think for a moment that spending more can somehow transfer the signals more accurately; there're plenty of charlatans peddling wire pumped full of snakeoil who've learned that it pays handsomely to never underestimate the gullibility of some audiophiles.

Thanks John. I actually don't subscribe to the spend a lot for cables theory either. I have a VERY modest system and a more modest budget. If I had more expensive equipment, it may make sense. But for what I have, I'll stick to suggestions such as monoprice (whom I have used in the past). Thanks again for your help.
    Shawn

Member Sales Rating: (1)

Quote Originally Posted by As far as the cost of the cable, there's no good reason for spending more than what [url=http://monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023602&p_i d=2682&seq=1&format=2&stye=
    MonoPrice [/url], for example, has available. Don't think for a moment that spending more can somehow transfer the signals more accurately; there're plenty of charlatans peddling wire pumped full of snakeoil who've learned that it pays handsomely to never underestimate the gullibility of some audiophiles.
    I agree with you about monoprice.com! I bought two 12' Toslink cables for $4.30 each (+ shipping) and they work perfectly. Best Buy and Circuit City had 6' Toslink cables for $25.00+ around here.

Thread Information