Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread

Member Sales Rating: (19)

Default WTF is an "Input Attenuator?"

I hooked my CDP up to my receiver a few days ago and every now and then I got static. I thought it was the tube vibrating in the CDP, so I opened her up and put some rubber band thingys around the tube. Today I hooked the CDP up again and got the same static. This time I noticed the word, "OVER" flashing on the display of my receiver. I checked the manual and it said it referred to the input attentuator -- it needed to be reduced because the analog signal is too high and it would cause distortion. So I turned on the attenuator and the static disappeared. It also muffled the sound a little.

WTF is an input attenuator? Was the signal from my CDP too "loud?" If so, why wouldn't the volume control correct the problem?

Thanks.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."

Member Sales Rating: (13)

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    WTF is an input attenuator? Was the signal from my CDP too "loud?"
    Correct. It's caused by too high gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Early B.
    If so, why wouldn't the volume control correct the problem?
    Because the input circuitry isn't designed to handle that much gain. Have you ever tried to connect CDP to phono input? Don't. :)

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Attenuator on my Spectral preamp is just another word for volume control.
    Last edited by hearingimpared; 12-10-2006 at 08:30 PM.

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Look into Rothwell attenuators. They're a fairly easy fix if you find the gain to be too high from either your source or preamp for a highly sensitive amp.

Only downside is that some people on other forums have commented on the Rothwell's producing somewhat of a "veil" over the music -- although a very slight one.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....wek&1168785088
    I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it. Thank you.Herman Blume - Rushmore

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

I just read the gon write up. IMO this product is not much different if at all than the mute switch on a preamp. My mute switch lowers the volume by 20db. This product "mutes" by 10db at the input source of the pre in at all times. I would have to think that it would change the way the music is reproduced and would have to sound veiled if not a heavy curtain. Just my opinion.

I looked up input attenuation in the user manual of my Spectral preamp...there is an input attenuation pot on the tape in jacks on the circuit board. It can be adjusted up or down to accomodate different input sources such as varying tape decks, tuners, etc. Maybe there is one on yours. If it isn't in the user manual, try the service manual.

I would buy Rothwell attenuator only if there were a 30 day money back guarantee.
    Last edited by hearingimpared; 12-11-2006 at 11:04 AM.

I'm just gonna play music through my DVD player until my pre arrives.

When I turned on the input attenuator in the receiver, it compressed the dynamics so much that the DVD player now sounds better than my tube CDP.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50 LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

Member Sales Rating: (4)

Southern New Jersey, the clean part, where all the manure is...

Does the CDP have a variable out?
    I smell ass, burning ass, glowing cherry red spanked ass.

RT1

Quote Originally Posted by amulford
    Does the CDP have a variable out?
    I don't think so, but it has two pair of outputs -- one for tubes and the other is SS. I suppose I can try the SS output and see if it causes the same attentuation problem.

Member Sales Rating: (16)

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared
    I just read the gon write up. IMO this product is not much different if at all than the mute switch on a preamp. My mute switch lowers the volume by 20db. This product "mutes" by 10db at the input source of the pre in at all times. I would have to think that it would change the way the music is reproduced and would have to sound veiled if not a heavy curtain. Just my opinion.

The thing to note is input gain is measured in volts not db's. So this type of device won't solve his problem. The input will still be overloaded, but the output will be 10db's lower. Apparently the 2 pieces of electronics are not compatible without a pre-amp inbetween.

Now maybe I misunderstood, but by muting do you mean reducing the input voltage. Actually I've never heard of input muting. Reducing the gain w/o reducing voltage won't solve the problem.
    Last edited by heiney9; 12-12-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30; Eastern Electric Mini Max; Adcom GDA600; MIT S3/Z Pc; SDA 1C; Squeezebox; Tubes add soul!

Thread Information