Free Shipping on All Orders 1-866-764-1801

Vist our Online Store
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member Sales Rating: (49)

Angry Samsung LCDs, Comcast, Motorola, HDMI, and you

Well,

I have currently hit a road block. I ended up upgrading the wire on my brand new Samsung LCD to a dvi to hdmi cable because I ran out of component connections(dvd player and xbox 360 took the 2 i had).

Turns out that the comcast HD(non DVR) box does not support an HDMI connection with a Samsung LCD. To me, this is completely unacceptable and I called Samsung and Comcast to get the firmware upgrade for my cable box.

To make a long story short, there is no firmware update like both Samsung and Comcast told me over the phone. The only way to make an HDMI connection to a Samsung LCD with comcast is you are FORCED to upgrade to their DVR service, a service that I do not want to pay extra for since I do not need it.

I ended up getting a Comcast manager on the phone and expressed my utmost disgust for their ****ty customer service. He told me the current only option is to(everytime I want to watch tv) unplug my xbox 360 and plug in the TV component cables until the fix comes out, which he said should be around march 1st. To me this is completely unacceptable to keep switching cables like that, not to mention it ruins the cables and the jacks on the TV.

In the end, I told him that I would like to cancel all my Comcast services(phone, cable, and internet) unless he can accomodate me a DVR box without the DVR service. I am not sure if any of you realize this but there is no such thing as "DVR service" as this supervisor told me. Once you have a DVR box, you get the service. It is only a cable box with 2 hard drives and a different operating system on it. Therefore, anyone with DVR is paying x dollars monthly to rent two 40 gig hard drives.

In the end, the supervisor agreed that it was ****ty customer service from Comcast and that they will be out tomorrow to install a DVR box for me at no monthly charge until Comcast and Samsung resolve their HDMI handshaking issues.

Kinda is disappointing that you need to threaten to cancel service in order to receive accomodations.

End of rant,

Mark

Member Sales Rating: (1)

good for you, wish I could agree....

Quote Originally Posted by maingey
    good for you, wish I could agree....

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedLancer
    :) I'm not trying to start a fight, criticize or be nasty. Just my opinion.:)

No seriously, I think it's great that you had conviction and got what you wanted, I just don't agree with your POV. I'm guessing that Comcast considers the HDMI connection an 'upgrade' feature along with the DVR feature, so they charge more. The fact that the DVI-HDMI setup doesn't work on your particular set shouldn't mean that Comcast should provide you with a DVR box free of charge IMHO. It's almost like telling Samsung "Give me the upgraded model tele, I'm not going to use the better video processing (or whatever features make that tele an upgrade to yours), just the additional input in the back so I have enough. And you should've put the same amount of inputs on my unit, so I'm not going to pay for it, until you fix this prob." I'm sure many others have run into similar situations, and probably spent additional $$$ to find a workaround. You just got Comcast to do it for you, smarter than most. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

quick update. Got off the phone with samsungs advanced tech support.

The Comcast Motorola HD(non DVR) box does not support all tv's made in 2006 or newer with HDMI 1.3 ports.

Your only option is to upgrade to the comcast Motorola HD DVR box in order to use your HDMI cables.

According to Samsung, Motorola is working on resolving the issue and expect a fix out by March 1st.

No seriously, I think it's great that you had conviction and got what you wanted, I just don't agree with your POV. I'm guessing that Comcast considers the HDMI connection an 'upgrade' feature along with the DVR feature, so they charge more. The fact that the DVI-HDMI setup doesn't work on your particular set shouldn't mean that Comcast should provide you with a DVR box free of charge IMHO. It's almost like telling Samsung "Give me the upgraded model tele, I'm not going to use the better video processing (or whatever features make that tele an upgrade to yours), just the additional input in the back so I have enough. And you should've put the same amount of inputs on my unit, so I'm not going to pay for it, until you fix this prob." I'm sure many others have run into similar situations, and probably spent additional $$$ to find a workaround. You just got Comcast to do it for you, smarter than most. And no, I'm not being sarcastic.
    The point of this whole thing is that comcast specifically offers the port on their HD box so you can free up component slots on your tv for devices such as gaming consoles and dvd players. To have port on a cable box that is non functional because it doesn't support new tv's and updated technology is insane. However, they did just happen to make it functional on their HD DVR(which is the same box except for 2 hard drives is rediculous. It is clearly a marketing scheme by comcast to force you to upgrade to DVR in order to use HDMI cables.

Member Sales Rating: (8)

He presented Comcast with a reasonable option. Customize the service you offer to fit the needs of the customer or forgo his business. It happens EVERY DAY in the business world. They were well with their rights to decline. However, it is obviously in their best interest to keep this customer. It is much cheaper to keep a customer than to try to get a new one. I do the same thing with cell phone providers and most anyone I do business with. Meet my needs or I will do business with someone who will. Not a threat...just a reality...just business. It is not always a $ issue either.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson

The point of this whole thing is that comcast specifically offers the port on their HD box so you can free up component slots on your tv for devices such as gaming consoles and dvd players. To have port on a cable box that is non functional because it doesn't support new tv's and updated technology is insane. However, they did just happen to make it functional on their HD DVR(which is the same box except for 2 hard drives is rediculous. It is clearly a marketing scheme by comcast to force you to upgrade to DVR in order to use HDMI cables.

Like I said...an 'upgrade'.
    I agree with you, it should be standard on all boxes. But considering everyone thought DVI was it just 2.5 yrs ago, now we're moving onto HDMI 1.3.... for a cable company to change all their boxes that quickly probably would make them go broke... I would be surprised if in the next 5-10 years DVR becomes standard on all boxes. Comcast is already beta testing TIVO service on the same box, you'll be able to DL to your current box no prob, and it's more functional than the DVR service they have now but relatively the same idea. I'm sure they'll charge even more for that software update.

Quote Originally Posted by shack
    He presented Comcast with a reasonable option. Customize the service you offer to fit the needs of the customer or forgo his business. It happens EVERY DAY in the business world. They were well with their rights to decline. However, it is obviously in their best interest to keep this customer. It is much cheaper to keep a customer than to try to get a new one. I do the same thing with cell phone providers and most anyone I do business with. Meet my needs or I will do business with someone who will. Not a threat...just a reality...just business. It is not always a $ issue either.

Exactly, more and more people will be purchasing new HD TV's with the prices dropping. More and more people are going for sleeker installs, which means less cables, which means HDMI over a component line.

Comcast needs to come to the realization that this is the new technology and they need to start meeting the demands of the customers now, not a month from now, or even 4 months or more from now. Right now. If it means to give out the HD DVR boxes and disable/remove the hard drives, so be it. But to give out non compatible/outdated technology to new HD customers, that is totally unacceptable.

Like I said...an 'upgrade'.
    I agree with you, it should be standard on all boxes. But considering everyone thought DVI was it just 2.5 yrs ago, now we're moving onto HDMI 1.3.... for a cable company to change all their boxes that quickly probably would make them go broke... .
    The easy solution to that would be to give customers who use component cables the "old" boxes with the HDMI 1.2 support and give the customers who request the HDMI 1.3 boxes the new ones. The old boxes still work fine with component cables. Not every person who gets an HDTV is going to use an HDMI cable for the connection......

Exactly, more and more people will be purchasing new HD TV's with the prices dropping. More and more people are going for sleeker installs, which means less cables, which means HDMI over a component line.

Comcast needs to come to the realization that this is the new technology and they need to start meeting the demands of the customers now, not a month from now, or even 4 months or more from now. Right now. If it means to give out the HD DVR boxes and disable/remove the hard drives, so be it. But to give out non compatible/outdated technology to new HD customers, that is totally unacceptable.
    Considering I do custom design work, I definitely understand. I'm sure Comcast sees the trend also, and they're ready to roll out whatever it is next they have ready to go. They can be slow for now because they is not much choice in service (Sat or nothing, I'm in New Jersey) be I've seen a lot of inquiries recently regarding the telcoms that are creeping in. Like I said, if they consider it an upgrade, then it is so, if you don't thats up to you. But at that point anything can be 'if you don't give it to me, I'll get it where I can', which pretty much is how the standard consumer market is ruled.

Considering I do custom design work, I definitely understand. I'm sure Comcast sees the trend also, and they're ready to roll out whatever it is next they have ready to go. They can be slow for now because they is not much choice in service (Sat or nothing, I'm in New Jersey) be I've seen a lot of inquiries recently regarding the telcoms that are creeping in. Like I said, if they consider it an upgrade, then it is so, if you don't thats up to you. But at that point anything can be 'if you don't give it to me, I'll get it where I can', which pretty much is how the standard consumer market is ruled.
    Glad to see we are nearing the same page :)

seccond star to the right and strait on to morning

i threaten to cancle every year to get my 20 a month off the price and then i have to cancle or switch. if you switch every year you can get a new sucriber disc for a year i love that t
    Gonzo's World
    BenQ 8700+
    115in screen
    PS3,X-Box 360 and Wii
    Sunfire Theater Grand III
    ADCOM GFA-7607
    four avalanch 18 subs 26.12l of displacement
    Crown xti 4000

Banned
    Member Sales Rating: (14)

Well,

I have currently hit a road block. I ended up upgrading the wire on my brand new Samsung LCD to a dvi to hdmi cable because I ran out of component connections(dvd player and xbox 360 took the 2 i had).

Turns out that the comcast HD(non DVR) box does not support an HDMI connection with a Samsung LCD. To me, this is completely unacceptable and I called Samsung and Comcast to get the firmware upgrade for my cable box.

To make a long story short, there is no firmware update like both Samsung and Comcast told me over the phone. The only way to make an HDMI connection to a Samsung LCD with comcast is you are FORCED to upgrade to their DVR service, a service that I do not want to pay extra for since I do not need it.

I ended up getting a Comcast manager on the phone and expressed my utmost disgust for their ****ty customer service. He told me the current only option is to(everytime I want to watch tv) unplug my xbox 360 and plug in the TV component cables until the fix comes out, which he said should be around march 1st. To me this is completely unacceptable to keep switching cables like that, not to mention it ruins the cables and the jacks on the TV.

In the end, I told him that I would like to cancel all my Comcast services(phone, cable, and internet) unless he can accomodate me a DVR box without the DVR service. I am not sure if any of you realize this but there is no such thing as "DVR service" as this supervisor told me. Once you have a DVR box, you get the service. It is only a cable box with 2 hard drives and a different operating system on it. Therefore, anyone with DVR is paying x dollars monthly to rent two 40 gig hard drives.

In the end, the supervisor agreed that it was ****ty customer service from Comcast and that they will be out tomorrow to install a DVR box for me at no monthly charge until Comcast and Samsung resolve their HDMI handshaking issues.

Kinda is disappointing that you need to threaten to cancel service in order to receive accomodations.

End of rant,

Mark
    Mark, I've been living with DVRs from Comcast for over a year now and will NEVER go back to just watching TV real time. Since I've moved into my new home 12/26/06 I have had to call Comcast atleast twice a week to get the service correct as well as the bill. . . I received a bill today for $356. I've spoken to 4 different reps who assured me that my bill was in order and that I would only be paying $168 for all I have. I too have their phone, internet and cable services.

My years of experience with Comcast is this; it takes Comcast 4 to 6 weeks of a new install or upgrade to get it right, but once they do the only problem experienced is that caused by severe storms.

My biggest gripe with them now is that they claim a shortage of DVRs and have me on a waiting list which they claim is long. I'll tell you this, if I don't have the two DVRs I'm short within the next week I'm calling a supervisor and telling him that I'm going to Direct TV because you get 4 DVR's free. . .that will get me my full compliments of DVRs.

Again, once you go DVR there is no going back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hearingimpared
    Mark, I've been living with DVRs from Comcast for over a year now and will NEVER go back to just watching TV real time. Since I've moved into my new home 12/26/06 I have had to call Comcast atleast twice a week to get the service correct as well as the bill. . . I received a bill today for $356. I've spoken to 4 different reps who assured me that my bill was in order and that I would only be paying $168 for all I have. I too have their phone, internet and cable services.

My years of experience with Comcast is this; it takes Comcast 4 to 6 weeks of a new install or upgrade to get it right, but once they do the only problem experienced is that caused by severe storms.

My biggest gripe with them now is that they claim a shortage of DVRs and have me on a waiting list which they claim is long. I'll tell you this, if I don't have the two DVRs I'm short within the next week I'm calling a supervisor and telling him that I'm going to Direct TV because you get 4 DVR's free. . .that will get me my full compliments of DVRs.

Again, once you go DVR there is no going back!!!

I already know that I am going to enjoy the DVR. But the point still stands that as the customer, I should have the choice whether or not I want to upgrade from HD to HD DVR. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade just because thats the only thing comcast offers to support my new tv. I am currently building my own DVR and therefore would never have a use for the comcast dvr once this is done.

Banned

I already know that I am going to enjoy the DVR. But the point still stands that as the customer, I should have the choice whether or not I want to upgrade from HD to HD DVR. I shouldn't be forced to upgrade just because thats the only thing comcast offers to support my new tv. I am currently building my own DVR and therefore would never have a use for the comcast dvr once this is done.
    Is your new TV brand new technology?

I was going to buy a DVR but I looked at what Comcast offers, it is like $3 a month rent and each time they upgrade or update their DVRs you get the upgrades. Three dollars time 12 is $36 per year. That is a hell of a lot less than a DVR that I would purchase even over three years.

Is your new TV brand new technology?

I was going to buy a DVR but I looked at what Comcast offers, it is like $3 a month rent and each time they upgrade or update their DVRs you get the upgrades. Three dollars time 12 is $36 per year. That is a hell of a lot less than a DVR that I would purchase even over three years.
    It isnt brand new technology but it is the newest out right now with the HDMI 1.3 ports. Other brands of TV's are also coming out with the HDMI 1.3 ports according to Samsung's advanced tech support and those tv's will have the exact same issue that I am having now. According to the tech guy, Samsung was one of the first manufacturers to start installing the HDMI 1.3 ports in October of 2006, and that this has been a problem since then that motorola/comcast has not addressed.

DVR in my area is $21 a month. I asked about it yesterday. Had it been $3 a month, I would have just said F--- it and add it, but there is no way I am paying an additional $21/month for something I won't use. Sorry, but I have far more other bills right now.
    Last edited by BaggedLancer; 01-20-2007 at 08:56 AM.

Banned

It isnt brand new technology but it is the newest out right now with the HDMI 1.3 ports. Other brands of TV's are also coming out with the HDMI 1.3 ports according to Samsung's advanced tech support and those tv's will have the exact same issue that I am having now. According to the tech guy, Samsung was one of the first manufacturers to start installing the HDMI 1.3 ports in October of 2006, and that this has been a problem since then that motorola/comcast has not addressed.

DVR in my area is $21 a month. I asked about it yesterday. Had it been $3 a month, I would have just said F--- it and add it, but there is no way I am paying an additional $21/month for something I won't use. Sorry, but I have far more other bills right now.

$21 a month!!!
    There is something wrong here friend. My first one is $9 / month and everyone after that is $3 plus change. No wonder you're pist off. What part of the country do you live in that Comcast feels they got you by the balls?

EDIT: Never mind the area I just saw you live in Boston. . . isn't everything higher priced Boston . . . still that is a pure rip off.

$21 a month!!!
    There is something wrong here friend. My first one is $9 / month and everyone after that is $3 plus change. No wonder you're pist off. What part of the country do you live in that Comcast feels they got you by the balls?

EDIT: Never mind the area I just saw you live in Boston. . . isn't everything higher priced Boston . . . still that is a pure rip off.
    North of boston in a tiny little town called north reading. Currently comcast holds a monopoly in this town for CSP's. Verizon has been trying to get in but Comcast is not allowing them since comcast claims that they own all the lines. The town of North Reading and Verzion are currently in heated disputes with comcast which according to the town paper will more than likely end up in a lawsuit.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Thumbs down

North of boston in a tiny little town called north reading. Currently comcast holds a monopoly in this town for CSP's. Verizon has been trying to get in but Comcast is not allowing them since comcast claims that they own all the lines. The town of North Reading and Verzion are currently in heated disputes with comcast which according to the town paper will more than likely end up in a lawsuit.
    Man , My town has the same problem. Comcast got monopoly over it as well, all town signs "Welcome To South River brought to you by Comcast", i been waiting for over a year to get Verizon Fast Fiber and it maybe another 2-3 years before they are allowed to do so. ****cast is pissing me off , but its only fast connection in the town. Town sign some n Number of years exclusive rights to Comcast , only thing customers got in return is Welcome Signs and Comcast Branch Office :( , sux to be us , no competition , no services , higher prices.

Member Sales Rating: (3)

Default Dishnet DVR ......no hdmi or dvi

Its not any different here they dont have either on the back unless you upgrade to the HD dvr
    " He who dies with the most equipment wins Right ? "

Denon 3300 [COLOR="Blue"]Adcom 535 BBe w/sub out 1 pr 4.6s 2 pr of 4 jrs Recent additions Samsung Lns-4095D LCD, Samsung hd-960 DVD, Monster HT-5000 Power center
    ,HPSA-1000 18" sealed DiY home sub.:D
    Black Laquer 1.2tl's w/ upgraded x-overs and Tweets BI-Amped with 2 Carver tfm-35's Knukonceptz 10ga cables

Comcast put my HD DVR box in yesterday, everythingi s working the way it should......for now.

Banned

Comcast put my HD DVR box in yesterday, everythingi s working the way it should......for now.
    Hey Bro, how much are you paying for the box?

Hey Bro, how much are you paying for the box?
    Absolutely nothing, after fighting with the Comcast managers they are paying for the DVR "service" until they release the fix for the regular HD box.

Doing some more investigating today, I actually found this arcticle released by the FCC.

Quote Originally Posted by FCC
    IMPLEMENTATION OF SECTION 304 OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT OF 1996

FCC-03-225A1.doc

High Definition Set-Top Boxes
    1. Cable subscribers owning unidirectional digital cable televisions or DTV monitors that wish to receive advanced, interactive services will need a separate set-top box in order to do so. As a means of ensuring the connectivity of these devices, the proposed rules would obligate all cable operators, effective December 31, 2003, to replace or upgrade subscriber-leased high definition set-top boxes upon subscriber request to ensure that such boxes have “functional” 1394 interfaces. For these purposes, a “functional” 1394 means a 1394 interface with appropriate software support. Starting July 1, 2005, all high definition set-top boxes acquired by cable operators for distribution to subscribers would need to include a 1394 interface and either a Digital Visual Interface (“DVI”) or High Definition Multimedia Interface (“HDMI”). High definition set-top boxes provided to subscribers pursuant to these deadlines would also need to comply with certain technical standards. No comments were received objecting to these proposals. We believe that these interface and technical requirements will set a baseline for connectivity ensuring that cable subscribers are able to fully enjoy the range of services offered by their cable provider in a secure, digital format. As such, we adopt these high definition set-top box obligations and defer the December 31, 2003 obligation to April 1, 2004.
    Turns out Comcast is actually in violation of this by providing HD subscribers with non functional DVI and HDMI ports on their regular(non DVR) HD boxes. Not to mention, the 1394 interface is also non functional according to the brochure that came with my regular HD box.

Mark

Member Sales Rating: (4)

I went to directv, because I was constantly dealing with their customer service dept. My bill was never correct, and my DVR had constant problems. When I deployed to Iraq, They picked up the two boxes, the DVR, and the modem. My service was to be terminated at the end of the month. I returned to a $3600 bill with the cost of the two boxes and the DVR on it, saying it was never returned. I have the receipt from the guy who picked them up, but I still had to have the consumer affairs people on post deal with this. after a month of back and forth, I had a lawyer contact them , then mystically all was well. I later found out that I was far from the only soldier to have this problem. I think that is what happens when there is no competition between cable companies and they run free.
    Quote Originally Posted by troyd
    Who cares if mainstream pop is released in SACD? In most cases, that amounts to polishing a turd.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorokusai
    Have you ever felt the legs of a female equestrian on your head?

How do you like Directtv vs your old comcast?

Member Sales Rating: (37)

I know the question is not directed at me, but I too went from Comcast to DirecTV.

I can't say that I was ever really displeased with Comcast, but I found DirecTV to be a better value, ie: more channels, less money. I made the change over 2 years ago and don't plan on going back to cable.

Quick update, although not much. Went by a Comcast center and they close at 5, means im gonna be doing 90 mph to get there tomorrow after work

Last and final update on this issue.

Went today and met in person with the manager. After 30 minutes of him trying to explain that quality of component is the exact same as HDMI I just wasn't buying it. After more arguing my points the final solution was to charge me $3.50/month for the DVR box instead of my initial outrageous quote. I accepted it and now as can put my mind at ease.

Member Sales Rating: (0)

Sounds like win-win to me. If I could get DVR for $3.50 a month I would be a happy camper.

Thread Information